|Birth name||Dong Young-bae|
|Also known as||Sol|
May 18, 1988 |
Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
|Genres||Hip-hop, K-pop, dance, R&B, EDM|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, dancer|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, guitar, drums|
|Labels||YG Entertainment, YGEX|
|Associated acts||Big Bang, G-Dragon, Teddy Park, Tablo, Se7en, M-Flo, Ailee|
|Revised Romanization||Dong Yeong-bae|
Dong Young-bae (born 18 May 1988), better known by his stage name Taeyang (meaning Sun) or Sol is a South Korean singer-songwriter and dancer. After appearing in Jinusean's music video "A-yo", Taeyang began training under YG Entertainment at the age of 12. After six years of training, he made his debut in 2006 as a member of the South Korean boy band Big Bang.
His second studio album Rise peaked at #112 on the US Billboard 200 Chart, becoming the highest ranking album by a Korean soloist to enter the chart. The album's title track "Eyes, Nose, Lips" peaked at #1 on Billboard K-pop Hot 100 Chart, giving him his first solo number one single on that chart.
- 1 Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Discography
- 4 Charted songs
- 5 Solo Concert Tour
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 Music chart wins
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
2000–08: Early beginnings and debut with Big Bang
Taeyang was a child actor starting in 5th grade. He was recruited to play the part of mini Sean with Maddie in JinuSean’s music video "A-yo". The collaboration eventually lead him to successfully auditioning into the group's record label YG Entertainment, where he met fellow trainee G-Dragon and former trainee Jun. K. G-dragon and he were later coined as GDYB. In 2003, Taeyang provided the rap verse in singer Wheesung’s single "Player" on the latter's second album.
Although Taeyang was scheduled to debut alongside G-Dragon as the duo GDYB, the plan was scrapped by their record label. Instead, they were joined by four other trainees (T.O.P., Daesung, Seungri, and Hyun Seung) to form the group Big Bang. The group's formation was documented on television as a documentary. Before their official debut, however, Hyun Seung was dropped and their final lineup consisted of five members. Choosing the stage-name Taeyang (meaning sun), Taeyang abandoned the idea of rapping to focus on singing. Their first album, Since 2007, was a fair success, and included Taeyang's first solo song "Ma Girl." The group achieved mainstream success with the release of the song "Lies" from their 2007 mini-album Always, which topped several charts upon its release. The singles, "Last Farewell" from the mini-album Hot Issue and "Day by Day" from Stand Up, became chart-toppers as well.
2008: The Beginning of Solo Career
After contributing to singer Lexy's album, Taeyang was scheduled to release a solo album. Initially scheduled for a September release, the project was pushed back due to conflicting schedules with his group. Taeyang released his debut mini-album Hot on 22 May 2008, backed by a production team that included 1TYM's Teddy Park, Yang Hyun Suk, Kush, and his fellow member .[nb 1] Moving beyond the hip-hop genre of Big Bang, Taeyang incorporated mainly R&B songs into his album, stating that it was his "main focus". He expressed disappointment with the album, however, admitting that he did not write any of the songs. He later stated that he would do so in the future to fully express and incorporate his thoughts and ideas into his music.
The first single released was "Only Look At Me" (Korean: 나만 바라봐), an R&B song written by Teddy and Kush. He had won critical acclaim for the song. G-Dragon later recorded a "Part Two" version to the song. The second single was "Prayer (Korean: 기도)" which featured Teddy of 1TYM. Promotional videos were shot for both. In support of his album, he also staged his first solo concert, Hot. Later on, Taeyang received two awards from the 7th Korean Music Awards: Best R&B/Soul Song for "Only Look At Me" and Best R&B/Soul Album. Taeyang is the first "Idol group" or boyband member to receive such awards.
2009-10: Group activities & First Album
Throughout the majority of 2009, Taeyang contributed to his group's activities, recording the song "Lollipop" with his group and labelmate 2NE1. He later flew to Japan to promote the group's Japanese albums. After Big Bang's activities have ended, he went back to the studio to prepare for his next solo activities. Taeyang released his first digital single "Where U At", followed by another digital single, "Wedding Dress". Promotional videos were filmed for both "Where U At" and "Wedding Dress." "Wedding Dress" was voted #3 on an online poll for a Dutch radio station.
Taeyang's first full-length album Solar was released on 1 July 2010. Two versions of this album - the "Regular Edition" and the "Deluxe Edition" - was released. The regular edition contained 11 songs, while the deluxe edition limited to 30,000 copies had 13 songs, including "Only Look At Me" and "Prayer" from Hot. On the first day Taeyang's solo album "Solar" released, July 1, deluxe edition of the album had sold out its 30,000 circulated copies. The album was later released on iTunes, charting at the number-two spot on the iTunes' Top R&B-Soul albums chart in the United States and number-one in Canada's, making him the first Asian musician to do so. Two singles were released for promotions: "I Need A Girl", and "I'll Be There." At the end of 2010, I Need A Girl (4 Weeks) I'll Be There (1 Weeks) Only Look At Me (3 Weeks) Korean Song Music Chart's Win. Taeyang won the "Best Male Artist" award at the 2010 Mnet Asian Music Awards at the end of the year and the Seoul Music Awards Best Male Artist award.
During 2011, Big Bang halted their activities because of Daesung's car accident & G-Dragon's marijuana accident. Beginning on January 27, 2012, the track listing and title of Big Bang's EP, Alive were released.
2013-14: Single & Rise album
Taeyang's new single "Ringa Linga" was released on 9 November 2013. Taeyang ranked #33 in The Critic's List of "100 Most Handsome Faces of 2013". On the 17 May 2014, YG announced that Taeyang's new album will be released on 2 June 2014 with the possible title, 'Rise'. After 'Rise' was released on 2 June, it achieved an "All-Kill" in Korea (#1 on all charts) and was #1 on the iTunes Album Chart in 10 countries (top 50 in 21 countries). At its peak, 'Rise' was #1 on iTunes R&B/SOUL Album Chart in 19 countries to include USA, UK, Canada, Australia, Russia, Hong Kong, and Denmark (top 50 in 25 countries). Rise became the third highest charting K-pop album, and also the highest charting K-pop album by a solo artist, on Billboard by debuting at #112 on Billboard Hot 200, #1 on Billboard World Albums Chart, and #1 on Heatseekers Albums Chart.
Taeyang was born on May 18, 1988 in Uijeongbu, Gyeonggi-do. He has an older brother, Dong Hyun-bae.
He attended Seoul Korean Traditional Art High School and Daejin University in Theater & Film. Growing up, he learned to play the piano.
- Hot (2008)
- RISE (2014)
- "Ma Girl" (2006)
- "Only Look At Me" (2008)
- "Where U At" (2009)
- "Wedding Dress" (2009)
- "I'll Be There" (2010)
- "Ringa Linga" (2013)
- "Eyes, Nose, Lips" (2014)
- Collaboration single
- Rise + Best Collection [Limited Edition] (2014)
- Hot Live Concert Tour DVD (2008)
- Solar Live Concert Tour DVD (2010)
- GDYB (G-Dragon and Taeyang) Paris Photobook (2014)
- Rise Japan Tour 2014 DVD (2015)
|Year||Single||Peak position||Digital Sales||Album|
|2006||"My Girl" (Taeyang solo)||12||-||Since 2007|
|2008||"Prayer" (feat. Teddy) ("기도" Gido)||3||1,112,172||Hot|
|"Only Look at Me" ("나만 바라봐" Naman barabwa)||1||3,881,447|
|"Ma Girl" (Japanese version) (Taeyang solo)||14||-||With U|
|2009||"Where U At"||3||1,054,074||Solar|
|"Wedding Dress" ("웨딩드레스" Wedingdeureseu)||1||2,020,000|
|2010||"I Need a Girl" (feat. G-Dragon of Big Bang)||1||2,110,274|
|"I'll Be There"||1||1,144,411||Solar International|
|2014||"Eyes, Nose, Lips" ("눈, 코, 입" Nun, Ko, Ib)||1||1,804,270|
|"Good Boy" (with G-Dragon)||5||902,789||YG Hip Hop Project |
Featured and collaboration singles
|Year||Title||Peak positions||Peak positions||Album|
|2002||"Unfold at a Higher Place" (GDYB)||—||—||YG Family 2nd Album (Why Be Normal?)|
|2002||"Everybody Get Down" (SWI.T Ft. Taeyang)||—||—|
|2003||"Player" (Wheesung Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||It's Real|
|2006||"Run" (Se7en Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||24/7|
|2006||"Give Me Permission" (Se7en Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||Se7olution|
|2007||"Get Up" (Lexy Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||Rush|
|"Rush" (Lexy Ft. Taeyang)||—||—|
|"Super Fly" (Lexy Ft. Taeyang, G-Dragon, and T.O.P.)||—||—|
|2007||"Should Have Loved You Less" (Kim Johan Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||Soul Family with Jo Han|
|2008||"Real Talk" (YMGA Ft. Taeyang)||—||—||Made in ROK|
|2009||"Friend" (T.O.P and Taeyang)||2||—||Friend, Our Legend OST|
|2009||"Korean Dream" (G-Dragon Ft. Taeyang)||3||—||Heartbreaker|
|2009||"Hallelujah" (T.O.P., G-Dragon, and Taeyang)||1||—||IRIS OST|
|2010||"Fall in Love" (Thelma Aoyama Ft. Taeyang)||—||4||Love! 2 – Thelma Best Collection|
|2011||"By Instinct Remix" (Swings Ft. Taeyang and Yoon Jong Shin)||—||—|
|2011||"Tomorrow" (Tablo Ft. Taeyang)||2||—||Fever's End Part 2|
|2013||"Let's Talk About Love" (Seungri Ft. G-Dragon and Taeyang)||—||—||Let's Talk About Love|
|2014||"Go Crazy" (M-Flo Ft. Taeyang)||—||3||Future İs WOW|
|2014||"Rich" (Epik High Ft. Taeyang)||6||-||Shoebox|
Solo Concert Tour
- "HOT Concert" (2008)
- "Solar Concert" (2010)
- "Fan Meeting Tour" (2013) (With G-Dragon and Seungri)
- "Rise Busan Concert" (2014)
- "Rise Japan Concert Tour" (2014)
- "Rise Seoul Concert Series" (2014)
- "Rise World Tour" (2015)
Awards and nominations
Music chart wins
KBS's Music Bank
|2008||7 July||"Only Look at Me"|
|2010||16 July||"I Need A Girl"|
|2014||20 June||"Eyes, Nose, Lips"|
|2008||6 July||"Only Look at Me"|
|2010||18 July||"I Need A Girl" ft. G-Dragon|
|2013||24 November||"Ringa Linga"|
|2014||15 June||"Eyes, Nose, Lips"|
|2014||30 November||"Good Boy" (as GDXTAEYANG AKA GDYB)|
Mnet's M! Countdown
|2008||19 June||"Only Look at Me"|
|2010||8 July||"I Need A Girl" ft. G-Dragon|
|2 September||"I'll Be There"|
|2014||12 June||"Eyes, Nose, Lips"|
|2014||14 June||"Eyes, Nose, Lips"|
- According to the credits on the album's jacket.
- Mark Russell (29 April 2014). K-Pop Now!: The Korean Music Revolution. Tuttle Publishing. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-4629-1411-1.
- "K-Pop Star Taeyang Hits Billboard 200". Billboard. 12 June 2014. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "TAEYANG IS RANKED 112TH ON BILLBOARD 200 CHART… HIGHEST-EVER RECORD FOR KOREAN MALE SINGER". YG LIFE. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 13 June 2014.
- '준비된 그룹' 빅뱅, 대폭발 예고 (in Korean). Sports Chosun. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- '태양'이 누구인가요? (in Korean). Nate. 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Big Bang Profile". KBS World. 2008-06-13. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- 동영배를 들어라, 빅뱅 '태양' (in Korean). Nate. 2008-06-13. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "Album Sales For The Month of February 2007". Industry Association Of Korea (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2007-12-21. Retrieved 2008-02-15.
- "빅뱅 쥬크온차트 8주 연속 1위 기염, JOO도 2주만에 7위 진입". Newsen (in Korean). 21 January 2008. Retrieved 1 February 2008.
- "Big Bang's 'Day by Day' Sweeps J-Pop Charts for Four Weeks". KBS Global. 8 September 2008.
- "빅뱅 태양, ‘HOT’로 솔로 데뷔 코앞" (in Korean). JK News. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- Han, Sang-hee (2008-07-17). "Big Bang Members Branch Out as Soloists". JK News. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Oh, Mi (2009-03-12). "Taeyang of Big Bang Wins Double Prizes from the Korean Music Awards" (in Korean). CBS. Retrieved 2010-08-21.
- Ryu, Seung-yoon (2010-03-30). "Big Bang members to continue solo career". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- "Tae-yang Climbs in the Dutch Music Chart". KBS World. 2009-12-02. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Taeyang's Solo Album Sold Out Instantaneously". KBS World. 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Solar Flare Up: Big Bang's Taeyang's Shines Bright on Brand New 'International' Release". DFSB Kollective. 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Mun, Wanski (2010-08-26). 태양, 캐나다-미국-일본 아이튠즈 차트 '톱5' (in Korean). Nate. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "[Album Review] Taeyang - 'Rise'". allkpop. Retrieved 6 June 2014.
- "K-Pop Star Taeyang Hits Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved 12 June 2014.
- "11 Sexy Male Idols with Sexier Tattoos". All Kpop. 11 August 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- ":: 가온차트와 함께하세요 ::". Gaonchart.co.kr. Retrieved 4 July 2010.
- "Gaon Chart Search: Taeyang". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Korea Music Content Industry Association. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
- "Oricon Chart Search: Taeyang". Oricon Chart (in Japanese). Oricon Industry Association. Retrieved 6 November 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taeyang.|
|Awards and achievements|
|12th Mnet Asian Music Awards – Best Male Solo Artist