Kim Tae-yeon (2012)
|Also known as||Taeng, Taengoo, DJ Taengoo, Tae-Tae, Umma, Ahjumma, ByunTaeng, Taejumma, Jummataeng, Kid (Ggoggoma) Leader|
March 9, 1989 |
Jeonju, North Jeolla, South Korea
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
|Genres||K-pop, R&B, Dance-pop|
|Occupations||Singer, dancer, actress, Promotional model, TV presenter, DJ|
|Associated acts||Girls' Generation, SM Town, TaeTiSeo|
|Revised Romanization||Gim Tae-yeon|
Tae-yeon was born in Jeonju, South Korea on March 9, 1989. She is trained in singing and dancing. Taeyeon was discovered in the 2004 SM Entertainment's 8th Annual Best Contest winning Best Singer 1st Place & Grand Award in the contest. In 2004, she was featured in The One's song "You Bring Me Joy" before debuting as Girls' Generation's leader. She is a 2008 graduate of Jeonju Art High School and was awarded the school's Lifetime Achievement Award.
Solo career 
Tae-yeon has contributed to a couple of soundtracks as a solo artist, singing the theme song "Manyageh" ("만약에", "If") for the KBS2 drama Hong Gil Dong and "Deullinayo" ("들리나요", "Can You Hear Me") from the Beethoven Virus soundtrack. "If" became popular[clarification needed] on various online charts, around the same time "Baby Baby" was released, while "Deullinayo" received the YEPP Popularity award at the 2008 Golden Disk Awards.
She also sang "SarangInGulYo" ("사랑인걸요", "It is love") with Sunny for the drama Heading to the Ground, and the "S.E.O.U.L." song with members of Super Junior and Girls' Generation to promote South Korea. She also sang the song for Caribbean Bay / "Cabi" with her fellow members Jessica, Seohyun, Tiffany and Sunny with 2PM.
She sang a duet song with her mentor The One, called "Like a Star" which was released on November 17, 2010. She also sang in the soundtrack of SBS's Athena:Goddess of War, with the song "I Love You". The song was released on 13 December 2010. The song took number 1 in some hit charts.
On March 28, 2012, Tae-yeon sang and released "Missing You Like Crazy", for the Korean Melodrama The King 2 Hearts starring Lee Seung-gi and Ha Ji- won, which took Number 1 on all charts such as Melon, Naver, Mnet, Soribada, Bugs, Olleh and Daum, achieving an 'All Kill' on the online charts on the day of its release. Tae-yeon had previously declined the offer to sing the OST for the drama due to her busy overseas schedules with Girls' Generation, but later took it up as she had made a promise with PD Lee Pil-ho, the producer of "Beethoven's Virus", for which Tae-yeon also sang the OST. PD Lee Pil-ho also stated that when he had first received the synopsis for "The King 2 Hearts", he had made special requests to only Tae-yeon, stating that she was the only singer who could sing the OST for the drama. In 2012, Tae-yeon also sang an OST, 'Closer', for the drama 'To the Beautiful You' starring by Choi Min-ho (from SHINee) and Sulli Choi (from f(x)). She also sang "And One" for SBS's drama 'That Winter, The Wind Blows', which was released on 13 March 2013. The OST debuted #1 on the Billboard Korea K-pop Hot 100 chart. 
Acting career 
On May 7, 2010, she had her musical debut as the main female role in "Midnight Sun", which is based on the Japanese novel "Taiyō no uta" by Aya Denkawa. The musical is about Kaoru Amane, a 17-year-old girl, who suffers from Xeroderma pigmentosum, which forbids her from going out during daytime. She keeps her hopes up by writing songs and singing every night at a train station. Taeyeon received good press for her performance. Furthermore, she learned to play guitar for her musical performance.
Taeyeon and her band mate Seohyun were cast as voice actors for the Korean dub of the 3D animation Despicable Me. Taeyeon dubbed the voice of the character Margo, while Seohyun's role is Margo's younger sister Edith.
TV shows 
She was featured on Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation reality-variety show We Got Married as part of the third rotation of couples; she was featured with comedian Jeong Hyeong-don. When this news was announced on January 7, 2009, it caused an uproar among South Korean netizens due to the 11-year age difference between the two.
On February 22, 2012 she was a MC for First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards together with Joo Younghoon and also for 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok which was held on April 7, 2012 together with Tiffany and Nichkhun. During the hosting of the "First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards" show, Taeyeon encountered a toe injury. Taeyeon's toe nail had been disconnected from her toe and she was unable to receive the award with her members.
Radio shows 
Taeyeon became a DJ on MBC Radio's Good Friend Radio, which she co-hosted with Super Junior's Kangin until he left on April 19, 2009. She has received the nicknamed "DJ Taengoo". Taeyeon ceased her DJ duties from April 26, 2010 onwards.
SM Entertainment revealed that Taeyeon, Tiffany and Seohyun will form a SNSD subunit called Taetiseo; they released their first mini-album Twinkle on 2 May 2012. The subunit has different musical direction and style concept from the nine-member SNSD.
Angel Price Music Festival 
On April 17, 2011, during a performance at the Angel Price Music Festival, a male audience member trespassed onto stage and tried to pull leader Taeyeon off the stage. Member Sunny reacted the fastest out of all the rest of the members, and intervened. The male trespasser was subsequently stopped and apprehended by the host Oh Jung Tae and security staff. Taeyeon was later praised for her calm and professional attitude as she continued the performance until it ended. SM Entertainment later reported that everyone thought the trespasser was a staff member, and that the girls were fine and were resting as of the time of the statement. Social commerce business, Coupang, which handled the ticket sales at Angel Price's request, released an apology to Girls' Generation and fans for the incident, stating that "Coupang was inadequate in the way we sold and distributed the tickets." Coupang took full responsibility for the incident and promised to give a full refund to those who bought tickets for that event. However, some netizens criticized Coupang in that the business expects a mere refund to be an acceptable apology to all, especially towards Taeyeon. Many were bitter in that something worse could've happened to Taeyeon, and that the concert failed to protect the artist that they invited.
NYC Fanmeet 
On October 24, 2011, the website soshified.com organized a SNSD Fanmeet in New York City. Taeyeon performed the opening number ("The Boys") but during the rest of the meeting was very subdued and pale. During the following MTV interview, she appeared distracted and bored, even resting her chin on her hands. Initially, her actions were attributed to the onset of a Common cold; it was later announced that she was suffering a peanut allergy reaction, and was experiencing anaphylaxis with shortness of breath.
Soundtrack appearances and solo performances 
|2004||You Bring Me Joy||You Bring Me Joy||04:05||Duet with The One|
|2008||KBS Hong Gildong OST||If||04:25||Solo|
|MBC Beethoven Virus OST||Can You Hear Me?||04:00||Solo|
|2009||MBC Heading to the Ground OST||It's Love||04:15||Duet with Sunny|
|2010||Like a Star||Like a Star||03:58||Duet with The One|
|SBS Athena: Goddess of War OST||I Love You||03:23||Solo|
|2011||Different||Different||04:23||Duet with Kim Bum-soo|
|2012||I AM. OST||Dear My Family||05:26||with SM Town|
|MBC The King 2 Hearts OST||Missing You Like Crazy||03:36||Solo|
|SBS To the Beautiful You OST||Closer||04:04||Solo|
|2013||SBS That Winter, The Wind Blows OST||And One||04:15||Solo|
||Billboard K-pop Hot 100|
|2010||"Like a Star" (with The One)||1||—||Digital Single|
|"I Love You"||2||—||Athena: Goddess of War OST|
|2011||"Different" (with Kim Bum-soo)||2||—||Digital Single|
|2012||"Missing You Like Crazy"||2||2||The King 2 Hearts OST|
|"Closer"||7||7||To the Beautiful You OST|
|2013||"And One"||2||1||That Winter, The Wind Blows OST|
|2010||Despicable Me||Margo (voice-over)||Korean version|
|2013||Despicable Me 2|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||KBS||BoolGwangDong (seven princess)||Cameo, Episode 64|
|2012||Salamander Guru and The Shadows||SBS||TaeYeon||Cameo, Episode 3|
Reality and variety shows 
|2008||Family Outing||SBS||Episode 13 & 14|
|2009||We Got Married||MBC||Season 1; Episode 42–54|
|2009||Happy Together||KBS||Season 3|
|2010||We Got Married||MBC||Season 2; Episode 40, 51, 52, 69 (On stage)|
|2011||Running Man||SBS||Episode 63–64|
|2012||Invincible Youth 2||KBS2||Episode 22|
|2012||Running Man||SBS||Episode 112|
|2013||Strong Heart||SBS||Episode 165 & 166|
|Shinhwa Broadcast||JTBC||Guest on Episodes 47 and 48 along with Hyoyeon, Sunny, Yoona, Yuri and Sooyoung|
Television shows hosting 
|2012–2013||Show! Music Core||MBC||Host|
Music video appearances 
|2009||S.E.O.U.L.||Super Junior and Girls' Generation||The Girl Riding a Bike|
|2010||Midnight Sun||Musical||Kaoru||Female Lead|
Radio show 
|2008–2009||Chin Chin Radio||Co-DJ along with Kang In|
|2009–2010||Chin Chin Radio||DJ|
|2013||MBC SJ Shin Dong's Shim Shim Ta Pa||Guest DJ together with Tiffany (fill-in for Shindong)|
Aside from her endorsements alongside Girls' Generation, Taeyeon has also endorsed the following brands:
|2007||Gamevil Skipping Stone 3|
|2004||8th Annual Best Contest||Best Singer 1st Place & Grand Award||Won|
|2008||Cyworld Song of the Month : February||"If"||Won|
|2008 Mnet Music Award – Best OST||"If'"||Won|
|2nd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot DJ||Won|
|23rd Golden Disk Awards||Yepp Popularity Award for "Can You Hear Me?"||Won|
|2009||Program Production||"Good Friend Radio (ChinChin)"||Won|
|2009 MBC Drama Awards (Radio Newcomer Award)||"Good Friend Radio (ChinChin)"||Won|
|2010||16th Republic of Korea Entertainment Arts Awards||Female Radio Award||Won|
|Yahoo Buzz! Award's Top Buzz Star : Female Category||Herself||Won|
|2011||The 5th Musical Awards||Best Newcomer||Nominated|
|2011 Mnet Music Award – Best OST||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2011 Mnet Music Award – Song of the Year||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2011 MelOn Music Awards – Best OST||"I Love You"||Nominated|
|2012||Seoul Drama Awards 2012 – Best Song from a Series||"Missing You Like Crazy"||Won|
|2012 Mnet Asia Music Awards – Best OST||"Missing You Like Crazy"||Nominated|
- Note: Taeyeon plays guitar in the musical performance of Midnight Sun.
- (Korean) "뮤지컬 꼭 하고 싶었어요" 소녀시대 태연, playdb.co.kr. April 13, 2010. Retrieved May 13, 2010. (Interview)
- (in zh-tw) 台灣粉絲愛替韓國偶像正名，追出「少女時代」隊長太妍的漢字名「金泰耎」。. 爽報. 2012-08-27. http://sharpdaily.tw/m/article/issueid/20120827/artid/34467079/secid/2959718/audio/1. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- (English) SM-Academy.com
- (Korean) 소녀, 자유를 꿈꾸다, <태양의 노래>의 김태연 (No.80), The Musical. May 11, 2010. Retrieved May 15, 2010
- (Korean) 태연, 2004년 '더원' 앨범 피쳐링…뒤늦게 알려져 인기, nocutnews.co.kr. March 19, 2008. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- (Korean) ‘소녀시대’ 태연, 전주예술고교 졸업식서 공로상 표창, mydaily.co.kr. February 6, 2008. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- Kang Ji-hoon (강지훈) (2008-03-03). "'솔로' 태연, 소녀시대 인기 능가할까" (in Korean). Mydaily News.
- Im I-rang. 동방신기, '골든 디스크' 대상…본상-인기상 등 3관왕 (TVXQ, "Golden Disk" Main Award...Other Award-Popularity Award; Triple Crown King). MyDaily. December 10, 2008. Retrieved April 27, 2009.
- "[NEWS] ‘It Must Be Love’ by SNSD TaeYeon and Sunny #1 on Music Charts". KPOP JJANG. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "2PM and SNSD release new version of Cabi Song MV". allkpop. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Taeyeon & The One – "Like A Star" music video, Yeinjee.com, November 19, 2010.
- "Taeyeon’s Athena OST Song "I Love You" Is Revealed!". Korea.com. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Taeyeon and Kim Bum Soo’s Duet ‘Different’ released!". allkpop. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- "Updated: Taeyeon Performs ‘Missing You Like Crazy’ on ‘Show! Music Core’". soshified. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- Girls’ Generation’s Taeyeon to sing for ‘Wind Blows In Winter’ OST
- Korea K-Pop Hot 100 : Mar 30, 2013 | Billboard Chart Archive
- Hannah Kim: SNSD lead lands musical role, JoongAng Daily, March 18, 2010
- (Korean) (Taeyeon To Have A Musical Debut! Cast For Main Female Role). Newsen. March 15, 2010. Retrieved March 15, 2010.
- Park Sun-young: Girls' Generation singer makes theatrical debut, JoongAng Daily, May 12, 2010. Retrieved May 12, 2010.
- (Korean) 소녀시대 태연-서현, 3D 애니 ‘슈퍼배드’ 목소리 캐스팅 (Girls' Generation's Taeyeon and Seohyun cast as voice actors for 3D Animation), Newsen.com, May 17, 2010. Retrieved May 17, 2010
- (Korean) "재혼에 원조 교제 수준"…'우결' 정형돈-태연 결혼에 네티즌 시끌 ('"Second Marriage Follows First Relationship Standard"...We Got Married Jung Hyungdon—Taeyeon Wedding News Causes Netizen Uproar'. Chosun Ilbo. January 7, 2009. Retrieved April 27, 2009.
- (Korean) Official "WinWin" website
- Taeyeon and Seohyun to join Tiffany as new ‘Music Core’ MCs
- Taeyeon to MC at ‘First Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’
- Taeyeon and Tiffany Set to MC at the 2012 Korean Music Wave in Bangkok
- Girls’ Generation member Taeyeon hosts the ‘Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards’ despite toe injury
- (English) Girls' Generation Dominates MBC, The Korea Times, May 20, 2009. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- (Korean) 태연, MBC 라디오 '친한 친구' DJ 2년 만에 하차 (Taeyeon is withdrawing from MBC Chinchin radio as a DJ) News Nate. April 19, 2010. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "Girls Generation TTS -". SNSD Korean. Retrieved 27 August 2012.
- SNSD’s Taeyeon almost pulled off stage during performance
- Coupang releases apology for “Angel Price Music Festival”, will issue full refunds
- A Leader’s Heart « SNSD Korean
- "Gaon Chart Search" (in Korean). Gaon Chart.
- Lee, Nancy (8 February 2013). "SNSD Members Say They Fought to Appear on Shinhwa Broadcast". enewsWorld. CJ E&M. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- (Korean) (영상)소녀시대 태연, 혼자서도 인기, nocutnews.co.kr. March 20, 2008. Retrieved May 13, 2010.
- MNet 20's Choice Award 2008 Winners
- Golden Disk Awards 2008 Winners List
- (Korean) 태연 “늦은 밤 나와 얘기나눠준 청취자에 감사” 라디오 신인상. Newsen. December 30, 2009. Retrieved December 30, 2009.
- Winners at the 16th Republic of Korea Entertainment Arts Awards Ceremony
- (Korean)  . Yahoo Buzz Awards.
- (Korean) 제5회 더 뮤지컬 어워즈, 조승우·차지연 품으로.The 5th Musical Awards Winners.
- Girls’ Generation Nominated for 5 Mnet Asian Music Awards
- (Korean) Prize winners at the Seoul Drama Awards 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Kim Tae-yeon|