Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium
|The factual accuracy of parts of this article (those related to article) may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (March 2013)|
|Location||Taichung City, Taiwan|
|Owner||Taichung City Government|
|Operator||Taichung City Government|
|Field size||Left Field - 99.1 metres (325 ft)
Left-Center - 115.5 metres (379 ft)
Center Field - 121.9 metres (400 ft)
Right-Center - 115.5 metres (379 ft)
Right Field - 99.1 metres (325 ft)
|Broke ground||February 1, 2005|
|Opened||November 9, 2006|
|Construction cost||600,000,000 NTD|
Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium (Chinese: 臺中市洲際棒球場) is located in Taichung, the third largest city in Taiwan. The stadium officially opened on November 9, 2006 replacing the antiquated Taichung Baseball Field. Located on the corner of Chongde Road (崇德路) and Huanzhong Road (環中路), it has considerably more parking available than the old stadium, which will be much more convenient for fans.
Construction on the stadium began in 2005 and is operating on the Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model that is becoming increasingly common among public works projects in Taiwan. The first phase includes 15,000 infield seats, all with seatback chairs. After the second phase was completed in 2008, seating capacity was expanded to 20,000 by adding 5,000 outfield seats.
The first major event hosted by the new stadium was the 2006 Intercontinental Cup, a baseball competition between eight nations from four different continents. South Korea defeated the Philippines in the opener 10-0, followed by Chinese Taipei's defeat against Italy 3-13 on November 9.
It was announced on the final day of the 2006 Intercontinental Cup that the 2007 Baseball World Cup will be held in Taichung, with this stadium one of the two to be used for the tournament. The stadium also hosted some games in the 2007 Asian Baseball Championship, which was counted as the 2008 Summer Olympics qualifier for the Asia region.
The stadium serves as host for Pool B in the first round of the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
From the beginning of this project, the stadium had been known as the Taichung International Standard Baseball Stadium. However, newspaper reports had referred to it as the Taichung International Baseball Stadium, (dropping the word "Standard".) A Chinese language schedule for the 2006 Intercontinental Cup had identified the stadium as the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium.
According to a report in 2006, the mayor of Taichung, Jason Hu, announced that the name of the stadium has been officially designated as Intercontinental Baseball Stadium. This is in honor of the event being the first to be held at the stadium.
- First competitive game: South Korea v. the Philippines; November 9, 2006. 2006 Intercontinental Cup.
- First win: South Korea 10 - Philippines 0; November 9, 2006. 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- First mercy rule win: South Korea 10 - Philippines 0; November 9, 2006. 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- First nine-inning shutout:
- First extra-inning game: Chinese Taipei v. South Korea; November 12, 2006; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- First home run: Bradley Harman (Australia) (8th inning v. Philippines); November 10, 2006 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- First grand slam: Chen Yung-Chi (Chinese Taipei) (7th inning v. South Korea); November 12, 2006; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- First complete game:
- Longest game: 13 innings - Italy v. Australia; November 12, 2006; 2006 Intercontinental Cup 
- Runs in a game (Single Team): 13 - Italy v. Chinese Taipei; November 9, 2006; Netherlands v. South Korea, November 15, 2006  2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Runs in a game (Combined): 16 - Italy (13) v. Chinese Taipei (3) ; November 9, 2006: and Chinese Taipei (9) v. South Korea (7); September 12, 2006 ; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Runs in an inning (Single Team): 6 - Italy (3rd inning) v. Chinese Taipei, November 9, 2006; Australia (8th inning) v. the Philippines, November 10, 2006 ; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Runs in an inning (Combined): 6 - Italy v. Chinese Taipei (3rd inning), November 9, 2006 ; Australia v. the Philippines (8th inning), November 10, 2006 ; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Runs in a game (Single Player): 2 - Numerous times
- RBIs in a game (Single Player): 7 - Jack Murphy, ABL Canberra Cavalry v Uni-President 7-Eleven Lions; 20 November 2013; 2013 Asia Series final (won 14-4 with Murphy hitting a Grand Slam homer in the 8th inning)
- Hits in a game (Single Team): 19 - Italy v. Chinese Taipei; November 9, 2006; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Hits in a game (Combined): 29 - Italy (19) v. Chinese Taipei (10); November 9, 2006 ; Australia (10) v. South Korea (9) November 14, 2006  - 2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Hits in a game (Single Player): 3 - Numerous times
- Strikeouts in a game (Pitching Staff): 12 - Cuba v. the Netherlands; November 19, 2006  ;2006 Intercontinental Cup
- Strikeouts in a game (Single Pitcher): 8 - Frank Montieh (Cuba) v. the Netherlands; November 19, 2006 ; 2006 Intercontinental Cup
Google Street View
The stadium is accessible in Google Street View. There are 360 degree views from the pitchers mound, home plate, the bleachers and concourses. https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=24.200079,120.685242&spn=0.01,0.01&t=m&q=24.200079,120.685242
- ^ "XVI Intercontinental Cup" (PDF). Archived from the original on 2006-11-07. Retrieved 2006-10-17.
- ^ "臺中市國際標準棒球場 (Taichung International Standard Baseball Stadium)". Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- ^ "棒協關切台中國際棒球場興建進度". Archived from the original on 2006-06-30. Retrieved 2006-10-23.
- ^ "台中新棒球場啟用 更名為洲際棒球場 (Taichung's new baseball stadium will change name to Intercontinental Baseball Stadium)". October 20, 2006. Archived from the original on 2006-11-08. Retrieved 2006-10-25.
- ^ "Italy v. Australia".
- ^ "Netherlands v. Korea".
- ^ "Italy v. Chinese Taipei".
- ^ "Korea v. Chinese Taipei".
- ^ "Philippines v. Australia".
- ^ "Korea v. Australia".
- ^ "Cuba v. the Netherlands".
- 张艺谋版《图兰朵》台湾上演_中国台湾网 2010年12月17日 "大型景观歌剧《图兰朵》在台中市洲际棒球场上演。 当晚，张艺谋以总导演 身份观看了演出。此次赴台演出的制作团队仍为“鸟巢版”《图兰朵》
- "台中市洲際棒球場簡介(Introduction of Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium)" (in Chinese). Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium. May 5, 2010.
- Italy v. Chinese Taipei
- Canberra Cavalry wins Asia Series, David Polkinghorne, Canberra Times, 21 November 2013
- 洲際盃: 11月台中開打 (Intercontinental Cup: Begins in November in Taichung.) 自由時報 (Liberty Times.) October 5, 2006. Page A10
- Development map published by the Taichung Municipal Government in October, 2005.
- 中華棒協肯定台中國際棒球場規模與設備 (in Chinese).
- 棒協關切台中國際棒球場興建進度 (in Chinese).
Media related to Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium at Wikimedia Commons