Taichung Power Plant
|Taichung Power Plant
|Country||Republic of China|
|Location||Longjing District, Taichung City|
|Commission date||July 1990 (Unit 1-4 gas)
March 1991 (Unit 1 coal)
August 1991 (Unit 2 coal)
June 1992 (Unit 3 coal)
October 1992 (Unit 4 coal)
March 1996 (Unit 5 coal)
May 1996 (Unit 6 coal)
October 1996 (Unit 7 coal)
June 1997 (Unit 8 coal)
August 2005 (Unit 9 coal)
June 2006 (Unit 10 coal)
|Primary fuel||Bituminous coal|
|Secondary fuel||Natural gas|
|Units operational||10 X 550 MW (coal)
4 X 70 MW (natural gas)
22 X 2 MW (wind power)
|Make and model||General Electric
|Nameplate capacity||5,824 MW (installed)
7,424 MW (2030) (max. planned)
|Annual generation||42 TWh|
The Taichung Power Plant (Chinese: 台中發電廠; pinyin: Táizhōng Fādiànchǎng) is a coal-fired power plant in Longjing, Taichung, Taiwan. With an installed coal-fired generation capacity of 5,500 MW, it is the largest coal-fired power station in the world, and also the world's largest emitter of carbon dioxide with approximately 40 million tons annually (or about as much as the country of Switzerland as a whole). Together with its gas-fired and wind generation units, the total installed capacity of the plant is 5,824 MW.
The power plant consists of ten coal-fired units with nominal capacity of 550 MW each. Four original units were commissioned in 1991 and 1992. In 1996–1997, four additional units were added. The eight older units have a total estimated coal requirement of around 12 million tonnes of bituminous and 2.5 million tonnes of sub-bituminous coal a year. In August 2005 and June 2006, 550 MW sub-critical pressure units 9 and 10 were installed on the adjacent land reclaimed by depositing ash.
The plant has four coal conveyor belts. Two belts are from the coal harbor terminal to the transfer tower, and another two is from the transfer tower to the generation units of the power plants. All of the belts are equipped with fire detection system to monitor the temperature along the belt and to send alarm in the case of fire to minimize damage. The coal receiving facilities were completed in 1992.
The boiler for each unit is drum type, water-cooled, naturally circulated with dry bottom furnace, balance draft and coal and oil-fired capability.
The steam turbine for each unit is a tandem-compound with four flow exhaust, single reheat and 550 MW rated capacity.
The power plant uses 12 million tons of bituminous and 2.5 million tons of sub-bituminous coal a year. Taipower buys 70% of the plant coal supply through long-term contracts from Australia, United States, South Africa, Indonesia and other sources. Indonesia is the prime source for the sub-bituminous coal. The remaining 30% of its coal supply is purchased on the spot market.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taichung Power Plant.|
- List of power stations in Taiwan
- Hai-Fu Power Station
- List of coal power stations
- List of largest power stations in the world
- "Taichung Power Plant- world’s largest coal fired power plant | Morgan Energy Solutions". Morganenergysol.com. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- Taipower (2008). "2008 Sustainability Reports – Power Generation And Transmission" (PDF). p. 3. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "Taichung Coal-Fired Power Plant, Taiwan". power-technology.com. Net Resources International. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- "Taichung". CARMA - Carbon Monitoring for Action. Retrieved 2009-07-10.
- [dead link]
- LIOS Technology GmbH (2012-11-28). "LIOS Technology - Fire Detection for the Coal Conveyer Belt System at Taichung Power Plant, Taiwan". Lios-tech.com. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Taichung Coal-Fired". Power Technology. 2011-06-15. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "st-coal-taiwan". Industcards.com. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Taiwan power company-Taipower Events". Taipower.com.tw. Retrieved 2014-06-03.