Taillevent is a restaurant in Paris, founded in 1946 by André Vrina, and now owned by the Gardinier family.
The restaurant was named in a tribute to Guillaume Tirel, called Taillevent, a cook in the 14th century known to have written the first cuisine book in French, Le Viandier, ordered by Charles V of France "the wise".
In 1948, it won its first star given by the French restaurant guide Guide Michelin. In 1950, the restaurant moved to the mansion of the Duc de Morny built in 1852, which was a family house before becoming the embassy of Paraguay. Today the restaurant is located at 15, Lamenais street, in the 8th arrondissement of Paris.
In 1954 Taillevent restaurant got its second star with the chef Lucien Leheu. Son of the founder and graduated from HEC Paris, Jean-Claude Vrinat began in 1962. In 1973, Guide Michelin attributed three stars to Taillevent restaurant, awarding the kitchen direction of the chef Claude Deligne.
Pastry chefs included Philippe Feret from Brasserie Julien.
The chef Philippe Legendre began in 1991.
In 1987, Taillevent opened a wine shop, Les Caves Taillevent, at 199, faubourg Saint-Honoré street in Paris. This wine shop is under the direction of Valérine Vrinat, who began to work for Taillevent the same year.
In 2001, Taillevent restaurant opened another restaurant L'Angle du Faubourg, located at 195, faubourg Saint-Honoré street, in Paris. Michel del Burgo left Taillevent Kitchens to lead L'Angle du Faubourg, replaced by the cook head Alain Solivérès. Alain Comte is pastry cook head.
After Alain Lecomte left Taillevent, Arnaud Vodounou became the new pastry cook head.
21 February 2007, Jean-Claude Vrinat announced on his blog the loss of the third star, also announced in the International Herald Tribune newspaper. 7 January 2008, Jean-Claude Vrinat died of lung cancer. He was 71-years old.
List of chefs at Taillevent restaurant
- (2002-today) Alain Solivérès
- (2001-2002) Michel del Burgo
- (1991-1999) Philippe Legendre
- (1970-1991) Claude Deligne
- (1950-1970) Lucien Leheu
- (1946-1950) Paul Cosnier
- "La Nouvelle du Jour" about Taillevent, Jean-Claude Vrinat's blog (fr)[dead link]
- News about the loss of the third star on Jean-Claude Vrinat's blog (fr)
- "Taillevent is demoted to 2 Michelin stars, Herald Tribune online". International Herald Tribune. 22 February 2007.
- Taillevent official website
- A review of Taillevent by New York Times newspaper
- A review "60 years birthday of Taillevent restaurant" by l'Internaute (fr)
- A review of Taillevent by Intelligent Life
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Taillevent (restaurant).|