August 17, 1994 |
Clifton, New Jersey, USA
|Relatives||Vera Farmiga (sister)
Renn Hawkey (brother-in-law)
Taissa Farmiga // (born August 17, 1994) is an American actress. She made her acting debut in the film Higher Ground, directed by her sister, and came to prominence playing Violet Harmon in the FX television series American Horror Story. She has subsequently appeared in films such as Mindscape and The Bling Ring.
Farmiga was born in Clifton, New Jersey, the youngest of seven children born to Ukrainian immigrants Mykhailo Farmiga, a computer systems analyst, and Luba Farmiga, a schoolteacher. She was raised in the Whitehouse Station section of New Jersey's Readington Township.
Farmiga initially had no ambitions to become an actress, stating: "I never wanted to be an actor. Acting had always been Vera's thing, not mine, but when we were at Sundance, I decided I officially loved acting." She was persuaded to appear in sister Vera Farmiga's directorial debut Higher Ground, playing the 16-year-old version of her sister's character. After her performance in the film was acclaimed at the Sundance Film Festival, she decided to pursue an acting career. In May 2011, she was cast as Violet Harmon in the first season of American Horror Story. The series debuted in October 2011 and was met with critical acclaim, being nominated for two Golden Globes and seventeen Emmy Awards. The show's second season featured most of the same actors as completely different characters in a new location, but Farmiga did not return due to the lack of teenage characters.
Farmiga had a leading role in the drama Jamesy Boy, about a young suburban street gang member who gets sent to a maximum security prison and strikes up an unlikely friendship with a convicted murderer. Farmiga plays the main character's love interest, Sarah. She appeared in the indie dramedy film Middleton,  about a man and a woman who meet and fall in love while dropping their children off at college. The film premiered at the Seattle International Film Festival on May 17, 2013. In 2012, she joined the cast of The Bling Ring as Sam, which is based on the true story of a group of teenagers who robbed the homes of the rich and famous between 2008 and 2009, coming away with over $3 million from the likes of Orlando Bloom, Lindsay Lohan, and Paris Hilton. She will appear in Mindscape as Anna, alongside Mark Strong, about a man with the ability to enter people's memories who begins working on the case of a brilliant but problematic teenager to determine whether she is a sociopath or the victim of trauma.
Farmiga is set to return to the third season of American Horror Story, In January 2013, series creator Ryan Murphy hinted that a clue about the third season would be hidden in the tenth episode of the second season. In a later interview discussing that episode, he stated: "One of the things that I missed this season was I really loved having that Romeo and Juliet youth story with Violet and Tate in the first season. I want something like that again and we're doing something like that in the third season." Farmiga portrayed Zoe Benson, a young girl who finds out that she is a witch and is then forced to go to a special school called "Miss Robichaux's Academy for Exceptional Young Ladies" in New Orleans after her discovery of her magical powers. Zoe first learns of her special power when she attempts to have sex with her boyfriend for the first time. She quickly finds out that her special power brings immediate and inexplicable death to anyone she has sex with. American Horror Story: Coven premiered on October 9, 2013 and the The Huffington Post said about Farmiga's character: "Farmiga effortlessly plays the mix of innocence, sardonic wit and tragedy required to make her character work" 
Farmiga is the sister of Oscar-nominated actress Vera Farmiga, and her brother-in-law is musician Renn Hawkey. The sisters consider each other their best friends. Farmiga told Teen Vogue that her sister is "my stylist, my everything". Her sister feels similarly: "Taissa is the person you take with you to choose your Oscar gown and then take to In-N-Out Burger. As much of an age difference as there is, she is one of my best friends in the world." Farmiga speaks English and Ukrainian, and took American Sign Language classes for three years. She enjoys snowboarding and hiking.
|2011||Higher Ground||Young Corinne Walker|
|2013||Bling Ring, TheThe Bling Ring||Sam|
|2011||American Horror Story: Murder House||Violet Harmon||12 episodes|
|2013||American Horror Story: Coven||Zoe Benson||8 episodes|
- Staff, Variety (2011-01-24). "Higher Ground". Variety. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Taissa Farmiga, Taissa; Vera Farmiga, Vera (August, 2011). Vera Farmiga and Sister Taissa Take to Higher Ground. Interview with Oliver Trevena. http://www.younghollywood.com/videos/yhstudio/august/vera-farmiga-and-sister-taissa-take-to-higher-ground.html. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Friedman, Roger (26 January 2011). ""Up in the Air" Star Vera Farmiga Has Directing Triumph at Sundance". Showbiz 411. Retrieved 23 October 2011.
- Levine, Sheri (December 19, 2011). "American beauty: Taissa Farmiga is anything but an American Horror Story". Postmedia News (Canada.com). Archived from the original on December 21, 2011.
- Published Monday, Dec 26 2011, 09:00 GMT (2011-12-26). "'American Horror Story' Taissa Farmiga Q&A: 'Violet is a dark soul' - US TV Interview". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Taissa Farmiga Biography". Tvguide.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "5 Facts About American Horror Story Star Taissa Farmiga". Crushable. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "'American Horror Story' Casts Young Leads". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Kroll, Justin (March 1, 2012). "'Horror Story' thesp Farmiga lands 2 roles: Taissa Farmiga comes to 'Bling Ring,' 'James Boy'". Variety (Chicago Tribune). Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- "Three Actors Join Indie Dramedy 'Admissions'". The Hollywood Reporter. 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Rome, Emily. "'Middleton' stars Vera Farmiga, Andy Garcia in a tale of self-discovery". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- "Taissa Farmiga". Collider. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Jorge Dorado shoots Mindscape for Jaume Collet Serra". Cineuropa. 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Warner, Denise (2013-01-23). "'American Horror Story': Taissa Farmiga in season 3 talks - EXCLUSIVE | Inside TV | EW.com". Insidetv.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Stack, Tim (January 2, 2013). "'American Horror Story': The secret to season 3 is in tonight's episode – EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Stack, Tim (January 3, 2013). "'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy on this week's major character deaths and hints about season 3 – EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Fitzsimons, Amanda. "Taissa Farmiga on Sister Vera". TeenVogue.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Higher Ground". Sonyclassics.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "5 Things You Don't Know About Taissa Farmiga - Yahoo! omg!". Omg.yahoo.com. 2012-07-20. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- J J Anisiobi (2013-03-13). "Vera Farmiga shows younger sister Taissa the ropes as the stylish siblings attend premiere party of Bates Motel | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-09-04.