Taiwan Prefecture (Chinese: 臺灣府; pinyin: Táiwān Fǔ) was a prefecture of the Qing dynasty on Taiwan Island. The prefecture was established by the Qing government in 1684. The Taiwan Prefecture Gazetteer (臺灣府志, Tai Wan Fu Zhi) documented it as part of Fujian Province. The Taiwan Prefecture Gazetteer was completed by Gao Gonggan in the 34th year of the reign of Kangxi in 1695.
An administrative change occurred in 1875, when Imperial Commissioner Shen Pao-chen demanded that another prefecture be added in Taiwan to revamp the administrative organization of the northern area of the island. As a result Taipei Prefecture (臺北府 Táiběi Fu) was separated from the original prefecture.
Taiwan, however, did not became a full province until the 1880s. Taiwan Island and the surrounding islands were formally established as Taiwan Province in 1887 and Taiwan Prefecture was renamed to Tainan Prefecture (臺南府 Tai Nan Fu) two years later. One of the administrators of the Taiwan Prefecture was Raymund Tu, a native priest of Taiwan.
- Henckaerts, Jean-Marie (12 September 1996). The international status of Taiwan in the new world order: legal and political considerations. Martinus Nijhoff Publishers. p. 268. ISBN 978-90-411-0929-3. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- China: five thousand years of history and civilization. City University of HK Press. 30 April 2007. p. 108. ISBN 978-962-937-140-1. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Prefecture History". Taiwanpedia. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Teng, Emma (1 March 2006). Taiwan's imagined geography: Chinese colonial travel writing and pictures, 1683-1895. Harvard Univ Asia Center. p. 57. ISBN 978-0-674-02119-8. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Chinese studies in history. International Arts and Sciences Press. 2008. p. 14. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Skinner, George William; Baker, Hugh D. R. (1977). The City in late imperial China. Stanford University Press. p. 197. ISBN 978-0-8047-0892-0. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Akerman, James R. (15 February 2009). The imperial map: cartography and the mastery of empire. University of Chicago Press. p. 122. ISBN 978-0-226-01076-2. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Gordon, Leonard H. D. (2007). Confrontation over Taiwan: nineteenth-century China and the powers. Lexington Books. ISBN 978-0-7391-1868-9. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- The Chinese times. 1890. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- David, M. D. (1985). Asia and Christianity. Himalaya Pub. House. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
|This Taiwan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|