Taiwanese Sign Language
|Taiwanese Sign Language|
|Taiwan Ziran Shouyu|
The beginnings of Taiwan Sign Language date from 1895.
There are two main dialects of TSL centered around two of the three major sign language schools in Taiwan: one in Taipei, the other in Tainan City (the Taichung school used a sign language essentially the same as the Tainan school).
Serious linguistic research on TSL began in the 1970s and is continuing at present. The first International Symposium on Taiwan Sign Language Linguistics was held on March 1–2, 2003, at National Chung Cheng University in Minxiong, Chiayi, Taiwan.
TSL, like other sign languages, incorporates non-manual markers with lexical, syntactic, discourse, and affective functions. These include brow raising and furrowing, frowning, head shaking and nodding, and leaning and shifting the torso.
- Taiwanese Sign Language at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Nordhoff, Sebastian; Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2013). "Taiwan Sign Language". Glottolog. Leipzig: Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology.
- Fischer, Susan et al. (2010). "Variation in East Asian Sign Language Structures" in Sign Languages, p. 501., p. 501, at Google Books
- Fischer, p. 499., p. 499, at Google Books
- Fischer, p. 507., p. 507, at Google Books
- Brentari, Diane. (2010). Sign Languages. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 13-ISBN 9780521883702/10-ISBN 0521883709; OCLC 428024472
- Huteson, Greg (2003). "Report on Social, Educational, and Sociolinguistic Issues that Impact the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Population of Taiwan" (PDF). SIL International.
- Shih Wen-han & Ting Li-fen, ed. (1999). Shou Neng Sheng Ch'iao Vol. I (13th ed. ed.). Taipei: National Association of the Deaf in the Republic of China.
- Sasaki, Daisuke. (2007). "Comparing the lexicons of Japanese Sign Language and Taiwan Sign Language: a preliminary study focusing on the difference in the handshape parameter," Sign Language in Contact: Sociolinguistics in Deaf Communities (David Quinto-Pozos, editor). Washington, D.C.: Gallaudet University Press. 10-ISBN 1563683563/13-ISBN 9781563683565; OCLC 154789790
- National Association of the Deaf in the Republic of China(in traditional Chinese)
- Chinese Deaf Association, R.O.C.
- TSL Online Dictionary (in English and Traditional Chinese)
|This Taiwan-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a sign language or related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|