Take Me to Your Leader (Newsboys album)
|Take Me to Your Leader|
|Studio album by Newsboys|
|Released||February 20, 1996|
|Label||Star Song Communications|
|Producer||Steve Taylor & Peter Furler|
Take Me to Your Leader is the sixth studio album by Christian pop rock band Newsboys, released in 1996. It was the last Newsboys album to feature lead singer John James. The album won a Dove Award in 1997 for its packaging, and was also nominated for "Rock Album of the Year", "Rock Recorded Song of the Year" ("God Is Not a Secret") and "Short Form Music Video of the Year" (for "Take Me to Your Leader"). The album was also recognized with a Grammy nomination for "Best Rock Gospel Album". It is also the band's only album as a sextet.
The vehicle pictured is an X-PAK 400, created by George Barris in the early 1960s during the Battle of Air Cars. This car appears on a stage in "Hangover" (season 1, episode 12 of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour). Also in this episode, actor Tony Randall, as Hadley Purvis, says the phrase "Take me to your leader."
|Jesus Freak Hideout|||
|No.||Title||Lyrics||Music||Lead vocals||Length|
|1.||"God Is Not a Secret"||Taylor and Furler||Furler||Furler||3:09|
|2.||"Take Me to Your Leader"||Taylor||Furler||James and Joel||2:58|
|3.||"Breathe"||Joel and Furler||Furler||Furler||3:15|
|4.||"Reality"||Taylor and Furler||Furler||James and Furler||3:08|
|6.||"Let It Go"||Taylor and Furler||Furler and Frankenstein||Furler and Joel||3:38|
|7.||"Cup O' Tea"||Furler and Joel||Furler||Furler||2:40|
|8.||"It's All Who You Know"||Taylor||Furler||Furler||3:11|
|9.||"Miracle Child"||Taylor and Furler||Davis and Furler||James||3:10|
|10.||"Lost the Plot"||Taylor and Furler||Furler||Furler||4:56|
|11.||"Breathe (Benediction)"||Joel and Furler||Furler||Joel||3:15|
- "Take Me to Your Leader"
Aside from "Miracle Child," which was not released as a radio single, every track from Take Me to Your Leader became a top ten hit on at least one of CCM Magazine's Christian charts (either the CHR, Adult Contemporary, or Rock format).
Note: all CCM Magazine' chart information is available in the book Hot Hits CHR 1978-1997 (1997) by Jeffrey Lee Brothers
|"God Is Not a Secret"||Rock||2/26/96||4/29/96||2||18||121|
|"Take Me to Your Leader"||CHR||4/29/96||6/24/96||1||13||1,038|
|"Cup O' Tea"||Rock||7/29/96||9/16/96||1||14||6||—|
|"Let It Go"||CHR||8/5/96||9/23/96||1||12||724||
|"Lost the Plot"||Rock||10/21/96||1/6/97||2||16||11||—|
|"It's All Who You Know"||CHR||6/16/97||7/14/97||6||7||4||—|
- John James - lead vocals, backing vocals
- Peter Furler - drums, lead vocals, backing vocals, the occasional guitar and keyboard part, harmonica, kazoo, whistling
- Jody Davis - guitar, backing vocals
- Duncan Phillips - percussion
- Jeff Frankenstein - keyboards
- Phil Joel - bass, lead vocals, backing vocals, whistling
- Note: Steve Taylor provides whistling for no extra charge
- [dead link]
- Michael Gallucci. Take Me to Your Leader Review at AllMusic. Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- Tony Cummings (April 13, 1996). "Newsboys - Take Me To Your Leader Review". Cross Rhythms. Retrieved September 13, 2011.
- Mark Ross. "Newsboys - Take Me To Your Leader Review". Jesus Freak Hideout. Retrieved September 13, 2011.