Tales from the Planet Earth
|Author||edited by Frederik Pohl and Elizabeth Anne Hull|
|Cover artist||Manny Paul|
|Genre||Science fiction Short stories|
|Publisher||St. Martin's Press|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)
|Pages||xviii + 268|
Tales from the Planet Earth is a 1986 anthology of science fiction stories edited by Frederik Pohl and Elizabeth Anne Hull  It presents 18 stories, sharing a common background developed by Pohl and Hull, by 18 authors from 18 different countries; each author's story is set in his native country.
- Sitting Around the Pool, Soaking Up the Rays · Frederik Pohl, originally in IASFM Aug ’84
- The Thursday Events · Ye Yonglie
- User Friendly · Spider Robinson
- Life as an Ant · André Carneiro
- Fiddling for Waterbuffaloes · Somtow Sucharitkul, originally in Analog Apr ’86
- S Is for Snake · Lino Aldani, originally in “S come serpente”, Urania #1021, Apr 27, ’86.
- The Divided Carla · Josef Nesvadba, originally Rozštěpená Karla, in Literární Měsíčník Jun ’85
- The View from the Top of the Tower · Harry Harrison, originally in F&SF May ’86
- Don’t Knock the Rock · A. Bertram Chandler
- The Owl of Bear Island · Jon Bing
- Contacts of a Fourth Kind · Ljuben Dilov
- Infestation · Brian W. Aldiss
- In the Blink of an Eye · Carlos Maria Federici
- Particularly Difficult Territory · Janusz A. Zajdel
- Time Everlasting · Sam J. Lundwall
- The Middle Kingdom · Tong Enzheng & Elizabeth Anne Hull, adapt.
- On the Inside Track · Karl-Michael Armer, originally in Entropie, 1986
- The Legend of the Paper Spaceship · Tetsu Yano; trans. by Gene Van Troyer & Tomoko Oshiro, originally 1978
- We Servants of the Stars · Frederik Pohl
Orson Scott Card described the anthology as "a world tour of science fiction" and reported "it will make you more appreciative of the best of America sf -- and more impatient with sameness, the repetitiveness, the insularity that so often afflicts us."