Tales of the Night
|Tales of the Night|
Still from the segment "Le Prince des joyaux."
|Created by||Michel Ocelot|
|Directed by||Michel Ocelot|
|Produced by||Didier Brunner|
|Written by||Michel Ocelot|
|Music by||Alain Marchal|
|Editing by||Michèle Péju|
|Running time||26 minutes|
|Preceded by||Ciné si (1989)|
|Followed by||Dragons et princesses (2010)|
Tales of the Night (French: Les Contes de la nuit) is a 1992 French silhouette animation television special written and directed by Michel Ocelot. It aired on Canal+ in France, ZDF in Germany and Channel 4 in the United Kingdom. It is a trilogy of three further fairy tales in much the same format as Ciné si.
A boy, a girl and an old technician get together in an abandoned cinema to invent stories, the boy and the girl play after then made costumes. The three stories are "La Belle Fille et le sorcier" ("The Pretty Girl and the Sorcerer"), "Bergère qui danse" ("The Dancing Shepherdess") and "Le Prince des joyaux" ("The Prince of Jewels"). Unlike La Princesse insensible and Ciné si, Les Contes is on 35 mm film.
"Le Prince des joyaux" was also shown in French cinemas in 1994 (and later released on VHS) as part of the Folimage-organised package film Le Petit Cirque et autres contes. All three individual segments (though still lacking the original opening, ending and bridging segments) were made available on DVD-Video with the release of Les Trésors cachés de Michel Ocelot in 2008.
- Brunner, Didier. "Producer's notes on Kirikou and the Sorceress". Kirikou.net. ArtMattan Productions. Retrieved 2008-10-18.
- "Petit Cirque et autres contes" (Portable Document Format) (Press release) (in French). Cinéma[s] LE FRANCE. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- Ocelot, Michel (Director) (2008-10-22). Les Trésors cachés de Michel Ocelot (DVD). Paris: France Télévisions.
- Pilling, Jayne (2001). "Filmographies". 2D and Beyond. Animation. Hove: RotoVision. p. 153. ISBN 2-88046-445-5.
- Princes et princesses (Filmography) (in French). Michel Ocelot. Paris, France: France Télévisions. 2004 . EDV 174.
- "Folimage – Prog 5 : Le Petit Cirque et autres contes". Cinémathèque.fr (in French). La Cinémathèque française. 2005. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Le Petit Cirque et autres contes – film de Michaël Dudok de Wit – Cinéma". EVENE.fr (in French). Le Figaro. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Le Petit Cirque et autres contes". HEEZA.fr (in French). Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Brochure Petit Cirque" (Portable Document Format) (Press release) (in French). Folimage. Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- Interview with excerpts from "Le Prince des joyaux"
- Another interview with stills from all three stories
- Michel Ocelot short films at Le Palais des dessins animés
- Tales of the Night at the Internet Movie Database
|This animated television series–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a television show originating in Europe is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|