Talk:2011 Indian anti-corruption movement
|↓||Skip to table of contents||↓|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement article.|
|Discussions on this page may escalate into heated debate. Please try to keep a cool head when commenting here. See also: Wikipedia:Etiquette.|
|This is not a forum for general discussion about 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement. Any such comments may be removed or refactored. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article. You may wish to ask factual questions about 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement at the Reference desk, discuss relevant Wikipedia policy at the Village pump, or ask for help at the Help desk.|
|This article is written in Indian English (colour, realise, analyse), and some terms used in it may be different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
|This article is of interest to multiple WikiProjects. Click [show] for further details.|
|To-do list for 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement:|
|Text from this version of Ramlila ground protests was copied or moved into 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement with this edit on 21:42, June 16, 2011. The former page's history now serves to provide attribution for that content in the latter page, and it must not be deleted so long as the latter page exists. The former page's talk page can be accessed at Talk:Ramlila ground protests.|
|A news item involving 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement was featured on Wikipedia's main page in the In the news section on 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 April 2011.|
|A news item involving 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement was featured on Wikipedia's main page in the In the news section on 17,18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 August 2011.|
|A news item involving 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement was featured on Wikipedia's main page in the In the news section on 28, 29, 30 and 31 August 2011.|
|A news item involving 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement was featured on Wikipedia's main page in the In the news section on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 September 2011.|
|It is requested that a video clip or video clips be included in this article to improve its quality.
|It is requested that one or more audio files be included in this article to improve its quality.
Please see Wikipedia:Requested recordings for more on this request.
- 1 No criticism
- 2 Narendra Modi's Letter
- 3 Baba Ramdev
- 4 Images requiered of Ramlila Ground/ Baba Ramdev
- 5 Current event
- 6 RTI activist death
- 7 August protests
- 8 August Protests section - not well documented
- 9 Aim is to create an independent watchdog, laws against corruption already exist
- 10 Insertion of unrelated material
- 11 File:Anna Hazare New Delhi.jpg Nominated for Deletion
- 12 Promotion to A-Class Article
- 13 Request to Merge 2011 Indian anti -corruption movement with 2012 Indian 2012 anti-corruption movement.
please add a criticism section detailing the jan lok pal bill to supersede the constitution. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/jan-lokpal-bill-undermines-democracy-experts/148609-3.html —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 17:59, 10 April 2011 (UTC)
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling.|
i agree (ANNA 24 GHANTE CHAUKANNA).. anna does not represent majority indian view..majority oppose corruption ..but majority like me nauseate at the idea of "ADOPT MY LAW OR WILL ALLOW NO OTHER LAW" stand of anna and co. ..intolerance to others view breeds disaster.. soon some terrorist may fast to split india into balkans for tv coverage if this "fast blackmail" aimed against the constitution succeeds!! i advise anna to vote and advise people to vote "only" for those who will take "only" his extreme view point "word for word". till then he must shut up..parliament is supreme...parliament enacts laws..and that should not be based on his group's whims!!but on majority law maker's approval!! if you disapprove , show your worth in next elections!!! — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 12:23, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- Please have discussion according to wiki policies.No personal opinion please.Adding a whole new section would void wiki policy which says that a separate section of criticism would create undue
I too agree that Anna Hazare's "My jan lok pal or rubbish any other lok pal bill" attitude is intolerance to all elected representative's view (people's parliament rubbished). Indian print media can be biased but not wikipedia. So, add pitfalls of 2011 protests or atleast make it a point that just because many people joined , it does not have majority indian population's approval. No true india will want our constitution to be discarded. Our Election Commission and Supreme Court monitor our elections and elected representatives represent us, indians. Any other hooligan group creating anarchy on unreasonable demands based on impatience in elected democracy needs criticism. Else India's end is near.. coup d 'etat is very near.. India's collapse will be celebrated as some colour revolution.22.214.171.124 (talk) 13:14, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- We are specifically not permitted to criticise. If you can find reliable sources that present a balanced criticism then they can be included but should be integrated into the existing content. There is far too much poor work going on with this article as it is, without adding more. - Sitush (talk) 13:19, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
It i of great importance to be unbiased while writing in a public forum like wikipedia. Pleas ensure that the views expressed by several different 'civil society' on this issue needs to be put up, if at all that is required. For example, there is no mention about the alternative proposals given by Aruna Roy. There are several people who object, including me, the Jan lokpal and I find it very hypocritical to say that all the protesters are supporting it. I hope these things are corrected and wiki does not become an another propaganda platform where people try to show up their view as the right view.? Unknown editor or 126.96.36.199
- Aruna Roy has also been criticized for coming up with a similar bill like that of team Anna and also after the public support for Anna has swollen. She has also been criticized for being pro-govt and anti-Anna. This also must be there if Aruna Roy's criticism of Anna need to be added.Politicalpandit (talk) 12:36, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
Narendra Modi's Letter
Its unwise to put Modi's letter here on this page The letter was purely written out of political purposes and more importantly
We have to mantain a stricter size for the page...and keep it was well edited as possible...so that all readers dont feel its too long and over-written
PLUS - If tommorw, more poltiicians write similar letters to Mr Hazare, We cannot put them all
Also Amitabh Bachan went on to give a paragraph long view of Hazare - we didnt put that - nor did we put comments of notable Indian stars of bollywood (in many contextx these people are more world renowned and in fact more known in India than Narendra Modi..but thats my view
True. How does "Narendra Modi lashing out at Manmohan Singh" find mention in the "timeline" ? The article has a section on "non-partison nature" of the protests and the protesters unwillingness to allow politicians hijack it. Then, calling Barkha Dutt controversial and pro-Sonia Gandhi, without any verifiable source is malicious and misleading. Danishctc (talk) 10:20, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
- Suggesting that Bharat Swabhiman Yatra be mentioned here, the Ramlila Maidan protest being a part of it. ..असक्तः सततं कार्य कर्म समाचर | असक्तः हि आचरन् कर्म.. Humour Thisthat2011 09:04, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
Images requiered of Ramlila Ground/ Baba Ramdev
Someone please get images of Ramlila Ground and Ramdev Baba's protest since the page Ramlila ground protests has now been merged in to it. There are only images of Lokpal Bill protest of Anna.Jethwarp (talk) 04:24, 16 June 2011 (UTC)
RTI activist death
In infobox someone has cited a lin which claims that a RTi activist shot dead,cause of involvement in 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement.No newspaper or reputated new channel has said that.It is known that she was RTI activist and found shot dead outside her house.But nobody has said that both thing ar connected. some links http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/other-states/article2361776.ece?homepage=true http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/RTI-activist-on-way-to-Anna-protest-shot-dead/articleshow/9629320.cms --abhishek (talk) 09:53, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- I think its pretty safe to believe that the activist was shot dead because of her involvement. She was going to the Boat Club to attend an anti-corruption drive when she was shot. Even if not, we can write it as alleged because that is something we cannot confirm nor deny. Avenue X at Cicero (talk) 12:50, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- Also, many refs say that her anti-corruption campaign and wildlife protection campaign may have hurt a few vested interests. Avenue X at Cicero (talk) 13:02, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- Also consider, she was on her way to protest meet(read the second line in Times of India link). Karthik Nadar (talk) 13:12, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
== Proposal: This article uses British English == (I was unable to find a template or standard box, but I think I've seen such a thing elsewhere in WP.) So far we have (at least): centred, publicised, organised, "a large police force lob tear gas shells". Evidence against British English: "the government desires"; criminalization; probably more.
- I agree with your point.But her death seems to happen because of RTI activism not of her support to this movement.No official person from police or this movement has said that she was dead because of her participation in this movement. Additionally she needs to be mentioned here because of involvement in RTI compaigning,there are lot many.Please don't mingle two different things.--abhishek (talk) 05:58, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
Please note that calling the following lines ("watered down, toothless" bill drafted by the government ) from the August protests section sound slanted and non neutral. We are here to provide a neutral point of view of the movement. Shyamjayan (talk) 05:54, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- It is not a violation of the NPOV policy as the concerned remark is in inverted commas, meaning it is quoted. Avenue X at Cicero (talk) 09:31, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- The quote is from a non-neutral source, and the rhetorical language of the quote is non-neutral per se, so it does breach WP:NPOV. This is especially the case when the quote is not qualified as a criticism and is instead portrayed as one of the statements of fact. Herein lies one of the ironies of WP:NPOV, we cannot use non-neutral language even when we all know that it is clearly true. Deterence Talk 11:52, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
August Protests section - not well documented
In contrast to the April protests - which I did contribute alot to - we need a timeline of protests for the august section too. I am busy but once I m free i will definitely do that. I request active editors to update the article. Keep in mind WP:NOTNEWS, but do add in names of industrialists, social workers (aruna roy,etc), bollywood stars (at least the major ones)..who have come out in support of the bill. We have to show the reservations that some of these prominent figures have - like the Infosys chief who belives UID is a way to tackle corruption , so hope you can present all that. Additionally, the support and the rallies being organised from Jammyu to Kerala and from ahmedabad to guwahati - is also an important aspect - so list out the various places where protests are bing held in a paragraph. The fact that farmers, Khap panchayats, lawyers of various courts, etc are supporting has to also be mentioned. The shutting down of various markets is also a fact we will have to put forth. Dabbawalas too - 1st off in 100 years - that has to go down.. So all i m saying is sticking to neutraility we have to update the august section. Oh yes we do need a better CRITICISM section. and a better debate section - many do belive PM should not fall under the ambit, and the judiciary should go into a strong Judicial accountability bill. BJP spokesperson has hinted they are willing to get PM under the ambit of the Lokpal with safeguards, so all those views - which will effect the movement, and the bill itself, have to be presented in a brief, concise and well referenced manner. The corrupt, insensitive, arrogant, adamant government has chalked out a strategy to neutralise the agitation of IAC. The police will swoop after midnight on Ramlila ground. Arrest all the activists & take them miles away from the boundaries of the city, in the fields, in all directions. They will hammer them with Lathis, break their bones & make them run in all directions for life. This has been the way of handling agitations by Congress governments & Sharad Pawar, Vilasrao Deshmukh have mastered this art. They have been consulted & hence this strategy surely appears to be drawn out. The Anna team may become physically handicapped for life. --Pranav (talk) 12:43, 21 August 2011 (UTC)
Aim is to create an independent watchdog, laws against corruption already exist
Isnt the aim of these protests and the Lokpal Bill to establish an independent anti-corruption watchdog? Laws against corruption have existed for a long time and didnt prevent corruption. Can we change this article to say what's different about these protests is they seek to establish the Lokpal. Tri400 (talk) 02:33, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
Note that the text below has no apparent connection to the anti-corruption movement. It diminishes the integrity of this serious popular and political effort when it is used to make baseless claims about unrelated companies:
"Mar 2011 The Bain India incident, involving a global board-level disclosure of HR corruption at MNC Bain India, backed by philanthropist Dr. N.D. Melgiri (cousin to Infosys Foundation's Sudha Murthy)"
References do not support the connection to the movement. Section has been flagged as WP:SYNTHESIS.
File:Anna Hazare New Delhi.jpg Nominated for Deletion
|An image used in this article, File:Anna Hazare New Delhi.jpg, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests December 2011
Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.
Promotion to A-Class Article
I believe this article should be promoted to A Class. It covers the topic well, is well written and well research, has many sources and inline references, and have supplemental media such as pictures. I believe it meets the criteria for A Class. Does anyone agree? Biglulu (talk) 08:37, 20 March 2012 (UTC)
Request to Merge 2011 Indian anti -corruption movement with 2012 Indian 2012 anti-corruption movement.
Do not merge 2011 Indian anti-corruption movement and 2012 Indian anti-corruption movement article because other are separate with timeline and different-different progress between movement. GKCH (talk) 09:02, 16 October 2013 (UTC)