|WikiProject Solar System||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
The root is Themist-, as seen in the genitive themistos, so the English adjective would be Themistian. Can probably keep distinct from probably adjectival form of the moon Themisto, Themistoan. kwami 00:55, 2005 Jun 20 (UTC)
is the mass off by a couple orders of magnitude? not nearly proportional to other asteroids of this size. kwami 2005 July 6 18:57 (UTC)
- It must have been off by a factor of 1000, probably an error of tonnes to kilograms. No idea where it came from, however. Looking at the usual data sources comes up with an odd combo of mass and diameter which computes to a non-sensical density of over 9 g/cm³! Can anyone find better data?
- Urhixidur 2005 July 7 03:07 (UTC)
- The mass quoted on the page now (5.75E19) is flagged as doubtful by the authors themselves: « we could not locate a reliable effective diameter for 24 Themis » (D. T. Britt; D. Yeomans; K. Housen; and G. Consolmagno; 2002; Asteroid Density, Porosity, and Structure, Asteroids III). They in turn got it from A. Lopez Garcia; Yu. D. Medvedev; and J. A. Morano Fernandez; 1997; Using Close encounters of minor planets for the improvement of their masses, in Dynamics and Astrometry of Natural and Artificial Celestial Bodies, I. M. Wytrzyszczak, J. H. Lieske, and R. A. Feldman editors, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands, pp. 199-204.
- Urhixidur 2005 July 7 03:16 (UTC)
- Found a new source for mass on this
- http://www.springerlink.com/content/h747307j43863228/fulltext.pdf p35
- Subject Test Mass Significance Bulk density Tax Dimensions Ar
- ast ast (Msol) (g/cm3) class (km) (km)
- 24 2296 5.67±2.15 × 10−12 2.6 2.78 ± 1.35 C 198 × 198 × 198e 10e
Here is a link to some information about this asteroid buildup: http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48174/title/Ice_confirmed_on_an_asteroid They found 'evidence of water-ice, along with organic compounds' ... 'including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, CH2 and CH3'. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 08:55, 9 October 2009 (UTC)
- Nature: Ice on asteroid 24 Themis
During several automated bot runs the following external link was found to be unavailable. Please check if the link is in fact down and fix or remove it in that case!
- In Flora family on 2011-03-19 08:18:31, 404 Not Found
- In 102 Miriam on 2011-05-23 02:00:14, 404 Not Found
- In 161 Athor on 2011-05-25 01:51:46, 404 Not Found
- In 102 Miriam on 2011-05-31 21:44:56, 404 Not Found
- In 121 Hermione on 2011-06-01 03:38:14, 404 Not Found
- In 130 Elektra on 2011-06-01 14:38:25, 404 Not Found
- In 161 Athor on 2011-06-01 18:51:41, 404 Not Found
- In 24 Themis on 2011-06-19 05:36:27, 404 Not Found