Talk:2600: The Hacker Quarterly
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
What is the policy for links with bad capitalization? "Off the Hook" links to an existing page but it probably should link to "Off The Hook"..
- lol, "Off the Hook" is correct to begin with. You don't capitalize "the" unless it's the beginning of a title or sentence.
What this article needs is a list of legal cases and a list of forced redactions. Sweetfreek 03:34, 16 January 2006 (UTC)
I've added on-air broadcast info for OTW and OTH; if this isn't the right place for it, please let me know and I'll move it to the appropriate area. --SpecOp Macavity 21:23, 7 June 2006 (UTC)
- It'd probably be better off on the articles for the shows themselves. Night Gyr 23:37, 16 June 2006 (UTC)
Added link to Hope Number Six --Number301 17:52, 8 August 2006 (UTC)
For the awakening hackers
please keep in mind 1) magic lantern 2) any 'con' you goto you're merely getting your picture taken 3) look at the big picture & ask why pieces look out of place 4) freemasonry is a farmclub - 5) that family junk has some relevance 6) *Chase Bank* owns all other banks 7) Baal's Fire/MayDay - Rev 17:2+5. 'g' = generative principle 8) 6pointed star = Amun-Ra, the masonic symbol, and the false 'star of David' 9) 2600 club is partially a group of OLHP kids 10) 54% of the world is based on judaism; 33% are christian, 21% islamic, and .22 are jewish. 11) shriners hats advocate killing in the name of islam, yet neither Christians, nor islams can by scripture JOIN masonry 12) David Myatt- order of nine angles (satanist human sacrifice group)/islamic/antiholicost 13) it's hard to believe that there truely are so many stupid satanists in the world - but look for yourself. 'Cyber Wars' is an excellent movie - there are many others who have a clue, just a little harder to find. 14) Temple of Set, Joel+Jerry Goldsmith (scottish rite/hollywood/christian science), mormon, jehovas witnesses, scientology (hubbard-oto rituals), commercialized witchcraft (gardner-oto from crowleys notes), theosophy, waco, okc... **1995 Illuminati New World Order 'ccg'** 15) even the ELITE, if it were possible
- Huh? Root4(one) 04:25, 15 March 2007 (UTC)
No place for pseudoscience
Stop your ignorant blather and educate yourself. There is real stuff going on that needs our attention. http://www.behindthebuyouts.org/ for instance. Obviously you have been in the luxurious position of having enough food throughout your life to make it to the point where you could actually reach the age to verbalize, albeit not structural neither eloquently, this crap. Read a book, a page, a paper - not from the magic section in your bookstore (an American phenomenon I have to say, European bookstores dont have a multitude of shelves about magic, _real_ magic. It is all self motivated egotisticial nonsense, be a man than like L. Ron Hubbard and start scientology, but dont pretend you know something we all dont. My friend stop smoking marijuana (i am from the netherlands and it is legal, so im not outfoxing you here) and read some wikipedia articles. They should be good enough. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 23:34, 10 September 2010 (UTC) (and yes the single quote key on my keyboard is bust. And on top of everything, they say Ignorance is bliss. F*cking hell. Time for Lewis Black. By the way, i am a hacker, and i dont want to know any of this shit. I program all but lisp, and perhaps one day i will. And can run a decent session of IDA. Thats hacking. With a darkgrey hat.
- This is not a forum, but, this is: Wikipedia Review, The Child-like Mentality of Conspiracy Theorists
- But wellll, you're right, the real bad stuff is nearly always out in the open: American Legislative Exchange Council#Whistleblower_and_ALEC_Exposed
first published date
- Confirmed. I have a copy of the first issue sitting right here, dated January 1984, explicitly stating that it's the first issue. Atltais (talk) 17:55, 23 July 2008 (UTC)
How to pronounce
- The publisher and his associates say "Twenty-Six Hundred". Add this to the article if you want. I'm too lazy... I mean busy. --ChasFink (talk) 22:38, 11 November 2008 (UTC)
- It was mentioned in one issue's reader-mail section - though I cannot remember which issue - that it is not unheard of for it to be pronounced "two thousand, six hundred" by some readers in the United Kingdom. Nonetheless, "twenty-six hundred" is the intended pronunciation by the founder and staff, backed up by usage in films, television, radio shows, etc. Rob T Firefly (talk) 08:37, 5 January 2009 (UTC)
- It's listed on the inside cover along with other magazine info, in compliance /w USPS regulations.
- — · Adrian Lamo ·· 17:24, 30 October 2013 (UTC)
I'd like to edit the following segment "Hacker" term
The verb hack was first used in 1984 and meant illegally entering a computer system. Most people still see hackers as having some malintent with their actions, though intelligent and talented about it. The meaning technological utilisation or manipulation of technology which goes above and beyond the capabilities inherent to the design of a given application, is something that developed later on. White Hat hackers are motivated by strictly remaining inside the law of the jurisdiction in which they often perform what could amount to breaking into a house. But this is just to show the owner which locks to change. Ethical Hacker is also a word that is in widespread use for White Hat hackers. As they mostly do it as security analysts, they are also, in a way, motivated by money like Black Hat hackers. Law, corporations, sustenance and greed are very evenly distributed over the lawless and the law abiding. Black Hat hackers use their skills for criminal pursuits, although the writers of popular botnets do not actually use the botnets themselves (In this way they are not breaking the law) [source HOPE Crime] but sell them to people who actually use them. Is the manufacturer of a cluster bomb acomplice to the crime, opinions differe on that.Gray Hat hackers are in between, but are the least motivated by money or hacking with a purpose, they hack for the fun of it - illegal or not. Hacktivism, politically motivated hacking to cause some form of damage or disorder is considered Black Hat by some and Grey Hat by others.
Malicious intent, evil, and so forth is very hard to describe this day and age in terms of law abiding and law breaking. Look at leveraged buyouts, legal. Public beheadings, legal (Saudi Arabia). Credit default swaps, theyre still there.
(first draft, ill rework it)
- I dont think we can equate ethical behaviour in such a narrow sense that it can be described in either being for or against the law. I follow a lot of chinese forums and they think that the HOPE conference is black hat all the way, they have a different notion of that. (Although their aint no halos in their hair either). Personally i think its hypocritical, to explain somebody how you rob someone - it is not required to explain practically where to do it, how to behave, which weapons to use. You never hear the methods used by hackers when they get caught and tried for criminal acts. Perhaps we re all greys, after all.
I am setting up a hackerspace in the city of Groningen right now, but still no space. And squatting just became illegal. So i got inspired by the 2600 meeting and will organize one 01102010. I ponder if there would be a test of admission, the date would be the test if people are allowed in, point out the fault in this binary number. 18.104.22.168 (talk) 00:19, 11 September 2010 (UTC) frits seifert
- Thank you for your suggestion. When you believe an article needs improvement, please feel free to make those changes. Wikipedia is a wiki, so anyone can edit almost any article by simply following the edit this page link at the top.
The Wikipedia community encourages you to be bold in updating pages. Don't worry too much about making honest mistakes—they're likely to be found and corrected quickly. If you're not sure how editing works, check out how to edit a page, or use the sandbox to try out your editing skills. New contributors are always welcome. You don't even need to log in (although there are many reasons why you might want to). --Mistress Selina Kyle (Α⇔Ω ¦ ⇒✉)
Left or Right wing
In politcal or economic structures there are no "wings", therefore it is a biased opinion it is gammar, and defintion. Only use real definitons, systems, and structures. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Pusalieth (talk • contribs) 20:06, 12 February 2013 (UTC)