|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Abilene, Texas article.|
|WikiProject United States / Texas||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Cities||(Rated B-class, Low-importance)|
- 1 Untitled
- 2 More pictures
- 3 IMPROVEMENTS
- 4 Famous residents
- 5 AHS
- 6 Fair use rationale for Image:Abilene-seal.gif
- 7 Colleges & Universities
- 8 Major changes
- 9 City Limits of Abilene, TX
- 10 Notable People
- 11 External links
- 12 Zoo
- 13 West Texas Historical Association?
- 14 Abilene's Sister Cities
- 15 Transit
- 16 Zip Codes
Should add mention of/link to the National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature (http://www.nccil.org/), a newer but prominent museum. Perhaps the Center For Contemporary Arts (http://www.cca-abilene.org/) as well. If it's a slow day, Frontier Texas counts as a museum, too, although it is designed as a tourist attraction, not a straight-up museum (http://www.frontiertexas.com/).
This article needs a lot more pictures. Presently, there are only some school logos (of which Cooper is far outdated) and about 3 other pictures while there are 13 headlines, of which only 3 have pictures. ANYBODY, put some relevant pictures on here. Epborn (talk) 23:40, 20 April 2008 (UTC)
Major Highways and Shopping sections are really not needed. They just clutter up the page with stuff people dont really care about. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Friendlyfrontier (talk • contribs) 22:06, 31 March 2008 (UTC)
This famous people list is out of control. 90% of the people listed aren't even famous in Abilene. Fuhreeus 15:46, 22 January 2007 (UTC)
- Amen. Famous needs to be defined a bit, as in, someone outside of Abilene would know or care about them. Pharmboy 20:53, 3 June 2007 (UTC)
- The problem with the "famous people" is about to be fixed using Wikipedias concept of "be bold". Local radio 'heros' should not be in the list, nor anyone that isn't known well outside the Abilene area. Pharmboy 23:32, 14 July 2007 (UTC)
I am not sure how to fix this yet, but the "famous people from abilene" list has to either be turned into a category and listed elsewhere, or be deleted completely. I have spent a fair amount of time on this list, and the simple fact is: Almost every one of these people FAIL WP:N and WP:V. Also, the entire section is purely trivia anyway as being "famous" is the only criteria for the list. Input is needed or I will simply Be Bold.
The section is an embarrassment to Abilene. It is like screaming "See! We are important! Look at us!" and is inconsistant with wikipedia policy to boot. Pharmboy 23:21, 11 August 2007 (UTC)
- I reverted after a deletion of many of the names, as the deletion seemed to be random (one whole section, not discriminating). The entire section likely will be deleted, but wanted to be even handed about it and open for discussion, which there seems to be no arguement against. Pharmboy 18:59, 17 August 2007 (UTC)
I'm against deletion. I don't see anything worse about this page's list than that of any of the other 1600 pages (or thereabouts; the count is the result of a Google site: search) with similar lists. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 21:10, 23 September 2007 (UTC)
- I lean toward agreeing with Pharmboy in that a lot of the descriptive info after the names did seem to be every detail about the person, as if to justify Abilene's claim to fame; however, wholesale deletion isn't the only alternative. As the list is getting fairly long, there are a couple of options: (1) Limiting the list to those who were born in or grew up in Abilene or (2) creating a separate list article (and probably a category as well) that is referenced in this article. The list otherwise does tend to take over the article, which can hinder its growth by making it seem to have more substantial content than it actually has, which often results in people not adding to the article because on first glance it looks complete. Lawikitejana 00:15, 24 September 2007 (UTC)
I was wondering...How come Cooper High School has a fairly long article, but an article for Abilene High School (which is the bigger of the two, I might add) doesn't even exist, although there is a link to it? Could someone either give me a good reason or create the article?Leprechaun Gamer 02:27, 19 May 2007 (UTC)
- It sounds like you just volunteered. Give it a whirl. Fuhreeus 01:40, 31 May 2007 (UTC)
Okay, I tried creating a page for Abilene High, but it was the first article I created, so if someone could help with the article, I'd appreciate it, because it desperately needs the help.Leprechaun Gamer 16:02, 6 June 2007 (UTC)
Fair use rationale for Image:Abilene-seal.gif
Image:Abilene-seal.gif is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in Wikipedia articles constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
If there is other other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.BetacommandBot 17:04, 31 May 2007 (UTC)
Colleges & Universities
There is a rumor (oft repeated in the A R-N) that State law prohibits the establishment of a public university in Abilene. I think this is worthy of incusion in this article, but I would like to reference the acutal law or regulation, not just a local newspaper story. Can anybody familar with this point me to the law itself? 18.104.22.168 (talk) 07:20, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
- That doesn't sound constitutional, singling out Abilene that way. I would say you would definately need some reliable sources quoted to introduce anything like that in any article. Pharmboy (talk) 13:17, 5 December 2007 (UTC)
I have removed several sections that appear to violate several policies. I am pretty sure it is not appropriate to list every single subdivision & every single shopping center. None of it was cited and is also OR material, against WP:NOT#Wikipedia_is_not_an_indiscriminate_collection_of_information and needed removal. The goal isn't to provide the largest article. Pharmboy (talk) 00:57, 29 November 2007 (UTC)
City Limits of Abilene, TX
I noticed that the northern boundary for Abilene, TX is listed as I-20. That is not the actual footprint of the city limits.
Abilene actually crosses out of Taylor County and extends up into Jones County and includes the city's main water source, Lake Fort Phantom Hill.
Maps of the full city limits can be picked up at the Water Office or at City Hall.
Numerous times people don't realize that Abilene expands north of I-20 because they are so used to seeing Taylor County maps that show the part of Abilene in the county and that same map also shows Merkel. The Lake Fort Phantom Hill area is not shown because it is located in Jones County.
It would be nice if this could be corrected
- Then by all means, fix it. Sounds like you know more about it than most. Pharmboy (talk) 14:15, 28 December 2007 (UTC)
I have trimmed the list down now that we have a category. There is no need to have a huge list like before, and it should only contain about 10 names of examples, since it DOES link directly to the category that has them all. This is how it is done on other city pages and this list has been too long, for too long. Also changed topic from "famous people" to "notable people" which is more in line with Wikipedia Policy. Pharmboy (talk) 22:21, 30 December 2007 (UTC)
I have, indeed, laid waste to the entire External links section of this article. It was a mess and it needed someone bold to do something about it. No doubt some of you will be a loggerheads that a certain website was removed, but that's okay. If you think I took something out that I shouldn't have, put it back in. Just don't let the list get into the state it was before. Wikipedia is a source of information and learning, not a list of websites. Greggers (t • c) 20:41, 15 February 2009 (UTC)
I remember reading in my texas history textbook that the Abilene Zoo was the 5th largest zoo in Texas, I was going to add it to the article but I do not know if it is worth noting, any thoughts? Blah42b10 (talk) 17:58, 2 July 2009 (UTC)
West Texas Historical Association?
Is it me, or is that entire section constructed as a promotional vehicle for the Finks? Sections like that shouldn't be in Wikipedia articles about cities. (Indeed, imagine how much history New York, NY has, yet that page doesn't have profiles of historians who've researched the city!) D Haggerty (talk) 06:24, 8 December 2010 (UTC)
Abilene's Sister Cities
This city and/or metro area is big enough to warrant some sort of transit system. Does someone from the area want to take a couple sentences to touch upon bus service and such? YellowAries2010 (talk) 07:36, 12 February 2012 (UTC)
Based upon the USPS website, there are significantly less than 99 zip codes for this city.
ABILENE TX 79601 ABILENE TX 79602 ABILENE TX 79603 ABILENE TX 79604 This ZIP Code™ used for a specific PO BOX ABILENE TX 79605 ABILENE TX 79606 ABILENE TX 79607 ABILENE TX 79608 This ZIP Code™ used for a specific PO BOX ABILENE TX 79697 This is a UNIQUE ZIP Code™ used for a specific company or organization ABILENE TX 79698 This is a UNIQUE ZIP Code™ used for a specific company or organization ABILENE TX 79699 This is a UNIQUE ZIP Code™ used for a specific company or organization
<https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction_input> <website accessed on 3/5/2013. Used City name "Abilene" and State "TX" for search results.> 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:12, 5 March 2013 (UTC)ERockett126.96.36.199 (talk) 17:12, 5 March 2013 (UTC)