Talk:Army Cadet Force
|To-do list for Army Cadet Force:|
|Priority Army Cadet Force|
- 1 Recruits
- 2 LSW Contradiction?
- 3 List of Units?
- 4 Help with Cites and Referencing please
- 5 Females joining ACF
- 6 Courses
- 7 Training section
- 8 External links
- 9 Ranks
- 10 Uniform section
- 11 Wikipedia:Spam
- 12 Editing
- 13 cadet rank missing
- 14 Music within the Training Section
- 15 Adult Instructors (Courses)
"Once the recruit's test, consisting of ranks and badges, country code and the history of the ACF, has been passed, new cadets are given their cap badge to put onto their beret."
In my sector (London and NE) the berets and cap badge (most of the time, since some units must order their cap badges) and the basic star badge represents that they've passed basic.
- Although this is not ACF policy, in the majority of areas what is quoted above is the usual practice. Jhfireboy Talk 21:46, 11 April 2008 (UTC)
In the skill at arms section it states "...the LSW is slowly being phased out of service due to increase in military demand." Yet in the Shooting section it says "The LSW will soon be taken out of service in the army cadet corps due to safety reasons, although only senior three star cadets can shoot it, it is still dangerous for themselves and cadets around them without proper army standard training."
I can vouch that the former is true. If there is any reason for an LSW to be taken away by brigade for anything other than 6 monthly checks we don't expect to get them back. The part about it being dangerous for cadets to use is tosh. That's why they have to undergo the training and testing, and it is only the senior, more highly trainined and consequently older cadets that are allowed to use them. As for 'army standard training', that's precicely why adult instructors are instructed by serving regular soldiers to teach weapon handling. Any ACF instructor who is not competant is not allowed to teach, plain and simple.
I would suggest that the latter section should be removed.--El Rog 15:28, 16 March 2007 (UTC)
I have removed the sentence about the LSW being phased out due to military demand as it is simply not true. I would have been informed at HQ if the LSW was being phased out of the syllabus. LSWs MAY be taken away temporarily if required. Praetorian65 (talk) 23:53, 4 March 2011 (UTC)
List of Units?
yes it would be a good idea - Who is this? Please sign your comments
- I don't think that would be feasible, however a list of counties with details would be useful. Lemon Demon (talk) 22:44, 10 February 2008 (UTC)
- I've been doing a lot of work on where the detachments are based, and am gaining all this info from only one external site The ACF Interactive Map. As you can see this section is still not finished! I have only managed to complete from Scotland down to the West Midlands.. I have skipped back and started adding Wiki Links to the towns where the detachments are based (if there is a wiki article)... My personal opinion is to KEEP It needs input from either individual county ACF Websites or cadets / adult instructors, as to what regular army units are associated with which detachments. I think once we have this info complete, we could then relook at moving it off to its own article. Jez ☎ ✉ ✍ 18:48, 28 August 2008 (UTC)
- UPDATE After looking at the Scouting in England talkpage, I see that the Scouts had each individual county but are now gradually merging each article into an overall region, representing the 9 official regions of England (plus NI, Scotland, Wales). This would makes some sense within the main ACF article, and once they have grown in stature then each section could become its own article. Jez ☎ ✉ ✍ 18:38, 31 August 2008 (UTC)
I have removed it but then got into a massive argument with someone who wanted it speedily deleted, its there for the time being but needs work, sorry I have to much to do so someone else can do that--Pandaplodder (talk) 16:52, 11 October 2008 (UTC)well here is your answer: Once the AfD notice has been placed, it can not be removed, please do not do so again. I have also nominated List of Air Training Corps squadrons as well, for much the same reasons. ninety:one 16:51, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
- interesting move. Currently I fully understand why somebody would want to speedily delete this new page, as it just wiki links without context. I am proposing its moved back to the Army Cadet Force Article, until it merits being moved to a new page of regional ACF units. Jez ☎ ✉ ✍ 15:49, 12 October 2008 (UTC)
No need to I have put the link in for the ACF interactive map, there is absolutely no encyclopedic value from a long list of place names. As it was it just made the article look a mess--Pandaplodder (talk) 12:30, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
- I think I just have a VERY personal view in this list, as I spent about 16 hours adding more placenames, and wikifying those links, to the few that were already there. I firmly believe in time this could have been a good list to spin off to its own article. It would have needed more details, especially History of units and links to parent British Army Regiments. Hence the request above to keep the list here. As it is, now that you have moved and its nominated for deletion it will never see the light of day. Never mind.. taught me a big lesson about Wikipedia. Jez ☎ ✉ ✍ 13:00, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
People are already on about cutting articles down of comparable length to this one (ATC), the list is still available for time being, if you want to do something with that then go ahead but a list of places names will get speedy deleted at some point, this isn't my saying so but others, so don't blame me.--Pandaplodder (talk) 23:00, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
Help with Cites and Referencing please
Females joining ACF
I have made an entry for the Girls Venture Corps which was formed in the early 1940's GVC units were often attached to ACF and ATC units, does anyone know when the ACF started admitting girls directly? I think there should be some mention of this.--Pandaplodder (talk) 13:04, 29 September 2008 (UTC)
- 1992, if what I was taught in my recruits training last year is anything to go by. :) Malpass93 (talk) 23:05, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
I have removed the section on Junior Leaders in order to help clean up the article as although it is open to ACF it is an Air Training Corps course, and I personally have never known any ACF cadets that have done it (I am an ACF instructor), though I do not doubt that there are a few who have. There is no need to go into detail about it here when there is space for it on the ATC page. Praetorian65 (talk) 13:13, 19 January 2012 (UTC)
For a moment then I thought you were blaming me then, who is Michel Jacson? I removed the 'by Michel Jacson' who seemed to have removed the early text, I am currently looking at these sections seeing how they can be restored but referenced. Probably will take a week or so as it is a substantial section.--Pandaplodder (talk) 16:50, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
- Thank you very much. And i wasn't blaming you for the removal, far from it. Thank you for all your effort in this article and the other cadet articles. Gaia Octavia Agrippa Talk | Sign 17:22, 11 October 2008 (UTC)
The adult instructors section needs more work to it. It is not massively clear how the rank progression works. Also the ranks section needs A LOT of work. I don't think the table format works. It is also not clear that it is talking about cadet ranks or adult ranks. The rank details are not ACF specific and seem to out line those ranks in the real British army. Also there is no mention of the rank of sergeant. Gaia Octavia Agrippa Talk | Sign 13:22, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- Is there anyone out there who wants to sort out this section? Gaia Octavia Agrippa Talk | Sign 20:02, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
I am quite shocked that there is not a uniform section. Any one want to add a section about the uniform of both cadets and adult instructor/officers? Adding a bit about the development of uniform to how it is today would be a good idea too. Gaia Octavia Agrippa Talk | Sign 19:22, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
parts of this article are written like adverts and don't comply with Wikipedia:Spam such as telling people how to join and generally promoting it, also this article only has 25 references all of which apart from about 3 have a connection with the Army Cadet Force or the MOD.C. 22468 (talk) 12:35, 25 December 2011 (UTC)
Can we please be careful when editing this article. A few of us have put a fair amount of work into editing it and rewriting it to improve it and make sure it conforms to Wikipedia's guidelines. One or two people have been adding bits and pieces that have no place in an encyclopaedia. Praetorian65 (talk) 19:38, 3 February 2012 (UTC)
cadet rank missing
hi can you please add the rank potential to the cadet ranks army cadet ranks goes like this cadet POTENTIAL lance corprol corprol and so on you have got it all except from potential which is a rank
- This is not an official rank in the ACF. As it sounds like a local thing it would not be appropriate to add it here. Praetorian65 (talk) 19:25, 9 March 2012 (UTC)
Music within the Training Section
Adult Instructors (Courses)
Can a date be found for the replacement of the older course by the present day mandatory Adult Leadership and Management course for Adult Instructors? "The new course" is meaningless without a date - and as time goes on the course will be less new.Cloptonson (talk) 21:25, 7 June 2013 (UTC)