Talk:Bachelor of Engineering

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Universities (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Universities, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of universities and colleges on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
WikiProject Education  
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Education, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of education and education-related topics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Not in my experience[edit]

'Although some colleges award a Bachelor of Science degree to graduates of engineering study, a Bachelor of Engineering degree is typically given to students who take engineering courses as a majority of their course load'

I have not seen this be the case here in the US. All major universities I looked into offered only BS degrees in Engineering disciplines. Do other have experiences that might be of help?
I think a {Disputed} or {Limitedgeographicscope} might be in order. Anyone concur?
Mike Graham Notthe9 19:19, 5 Mar 2005 (UTC)

I think that's normal in Thailand. If it is an engineering course, it is very rare to get BSc/BS. In United Kingdom, even there's no BEng but there's MEng. Master of Engineering, in most case, will be awarded only to graduates from 4-year engineering program (bachelor + master). May be this MEng is something like German's Diplom. But I'm not sure about it. -- Bact 19:06, 29 Apr 2005 (UTC)

The Cooper Union (New York, NY) is an ABET accredited school that awards Bachelor of Engineering degrees. I should know because I'm trying to graduate. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talkcontribs) 12:06, 23 October 2006 (UTC)

I concur with Mike Graham. I have a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, and the majority of my classes were engineering, with just a sprinkling of humanities in there to save my GPA and maintain ABET status. Also, lets not forget the fact that there are some schools who call their degree B.S.E, like The University of Iowa and The University of Michigan. With respect to US Universities I see no difference between a BEng, B.S.E and a (Respective Engineering). The only difference is in the name. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talkcontribs) 03:24, 31 December 2006 (UTC)

At least at Auburn University, there is the Bachelors of Aerospace Engineering. I was told this was not a bachelors of science of engineering due to the fact that there are a few graduate level courses that are part of the undergrad curriculum. I'm trying to find more on this. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 20:43, 29 September 2011 (UTC)

To add a Canadian perspective, many Canadian universities offer BEng degrees, as opposed to B.Sc. degrees, though the former is more common at larger Ontario universities (Waterloo, Carleton, UBC). —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 02:27, 6 September 2008 (UTC)

I have a Computer Engineering undergrad degree from UWO in Ontario, and its a BESc (Bachelor of Engineering Science). --MiloKral (talk) 08:29, 27 June 2009 (UTC)

This is another example of why wikipedia is full of opinions and moronic misconceptions presented as fact. My degrees read "Bachelors of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering" and "Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering." The point of the BE degree, I believe, is in SOME schools, it means either: A, your degree has a little less Arts and Science humanities credits and more tech electives, or B, as in my case, it was given by a School of Engineering, being separate from the College of A&S. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 22:13, 23 April 2013 (UTC)

Sort this out?[edit]

Ok, I think this page really needs some sorting out. In engineering in particular, I think there are very different usages from coutry to country (or least geographical area to geographical area). Contrary to the comment above, for example, the UK does award BEng but also BSc; the distribution among Unis is pretty random. The MEng is not a five year course as mentioned in the article (unless it follows a foundation course of 1 year) and nor is it a (bachelor + master) in most Unis. Regrettably, there seem to be many different ways of constructing the Engineering hierarchy. Perhaps, then, for Wikipedia, we should have a Disambig page, with a list of the countries on it. However, there is alredy a page for Engineer's degrees but these are of a flavour that doesn't really include bachelors or the UK masters. I think my vote is for a Disambiguation page which can also give a link to the Engineer's degree page. -Splash 18:36, Jun 6, 2005 (UTC)

I have found that in England you can do a BEng (3 years) or MEng (4 years). If you opt for the latter, but then decide to graduate in your 3rd year instead, you are awarded a BSc because you do not have sufficent engineering content. - TJ —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 20:53, 14 May 2006

I guess this shouldn't go under "sort this out" but I don't know how to start a new category in the talk page. I've also never edited for anything other than grammatical error, and in the case of one college athlete, added a sentence. Anyhow, I noticed 2 things: 1.) In the list of engineering disciplines there's no entry for Nuclear Engineering. As a NE major in the U.S. I can attest that A.) we do exist and B.) no, they don't teach us to build bombs (side note, sorry). And 2.)Mechanical Engineering only mentions mechanics but in my experience every ME program also has courses in thermodynamics, heat/mass transfer, fluid dynamics, etc. There are, I suppose, mechanics concepts in these subjects but also much more. Not being that well versed in ME I feel unable to concisely state this however.

Also one last side note: Above in another section someone said that in the U.S. all that was offered at the Bachelor level was a B.S.; my university proffers the B.S.E. (Bachelor of Science in Engineering) and my department at least (and probably all engineering departments at my uni) give both an M.S. and M.S.E. with the M.S.E. reserved for students with a Bachelor's in engineering, the M.S. for non-Engineering degree holders. I suppose that last sentence is irrelevant to this article however, given that its about the Bachelor level only. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 03:25, 22 June 2012 (UTC)

There are BE's in the US[edit]

I am at a school earning a BE. There are only about half a dozen schools in the US that offer BE's. I go to Stevens Institute of Technology. The article is a little confusing abou what it really is. It is a broad engineering curiculum. I need 156 credits to get my under grad, which breaks down to about 18-20 a semester. I take multiple classes in EE, CE, CmE, Navel Eng, Cmath, chem, physics, etc etc. The idea is that it makes a rounded engineer that can not depend on other engineers to fix problems. Good luck finding a school that offers them, its now a choice at stevens not manditory. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 03:54, 23 July 2006

-- Yeah, but there are also schools that offer BE's while still being specialized. B.E.ChE, B.E.EE, B.E.CE etc. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talkcontribs) 12:07, 23 October 2006

BE's exist in the US[edit]

I graduated with a Bachelor of Engineering in Marine Engineering-Mechanical option from SUNY Maritime College. My final credit total over the course of 4 years was 165 credits. I have to admit there are not many universities or colleges that offer a program quite like a BEng.

Respectfully, A Fellow Engineer —The preceding unsigned comment was added by (talk) 00:16, 22 December 2006 (UTC).

Merge lists?[edit]

It seems to me that we should simply have one list of fields of study, with a heading along the lines of:

A Bachelor of Engineering will usually be undertaken in one of these fields:

The current separate lists, with one (vaguely) indicating it is for BEng in Germany and the other for BE in India has the potential to explode into a list of lists. For example, I could easily add the Australian list, which I believe includes both BE and BEng depending upon the university... --Athol Mullen 07:41, 30 December 2006 (UTC)

Australian Degrees[edit]

The Bachelor of Engineering is abbreviated BE in Australia (possibly BEng in some cases) and is a four-year professional qualification leading to full membership of the Institution of Engineers, Australia. Most practicing professional engineers including myself do not pursue higher degrees in engineering.

Sri Lanka[edit]

Section Sri Lanka needs expansion. Details found in

Hashan 10:32, 5 September 2012 (UTC)