|WikiProject Italy||(Rated B-class, Mid-importance)|
Identifying Cardinal Barberini
I have just started Giovanni Doni which I have based on a 1922 edition of Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians where it says On returning to Florence in 1622, he entered the service of Cardinal Barberini, and went with him to Rome where he became secretary to the College of Carinals, afterwards accompanying the cardinal to Paris, Madrid, and back to Rome.
Now the only Cardinal Barberinis that I can identify  are:
- Antonio (Marcello) Cardinal Barberini (Sr.), O.F.M. Cap - only elevated to cardinal in 1624
- Francesco Cardinal Barberini, Jr. - only elevated to cardinal in 1690
- Benedetto Cardinal Colonna Barberini di Sciarra - born 1788
- Antonio Cardinal Barberini (Jr.) - only elevated to cardinal in 1627
- Maffeo Barberini - became Pope in 1623.
Now, none of these fit. I suspect that there is an error in Grove but can anyone help? Cutler June 30, 2005 14:31 (UTC)
- It's been a while since you posted ^ this ^ note ^ but I thought I'd try and answer you query. There were a number of Barberini cardinals (most have Wiki pages now), many of them made cardinal by their relative (in various forms) Maffeo Barberini as Pope Urban VIII.
- That Cardinal Benedetto was cardinal more than 100 years later so he's off the list.
- The others became cardinal under Urban VIII but Maffeo himself would have been a cardinal in 1622 before becoming Pope the following year. It is likely he is the cardinal in question.
- It may be that Doni went to Rome with Maffeo (who then became Pope) but ended up working for Francesco (who became Dean of the College of Cardinals). I'm not sure the records would make the distinction between one Cardinal Barberini and another.