|WikiProject Law||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Dogs||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
I've removed the bit about bull-baiting and added it to the main article about the sport. XYaAsehShalomX 13:18, 27 September 2005 (UTC)
Puritans response to bear baiting
There is certainly an amount of truth in that Puritans disapproved of bear baiting on the grounds that the spectators derived too much pleasure from the event, but there is slightly more too it than that, Puritans lamented the readiness of dogs to fight with bears because they saw it as the result of the Fall and therefore a reminder of man's original sin. It is also worth noting that a sizeable amount of prominant Puritans protested on the grounds that they felt sorry for the animals.
Bear-baiting in the United States. Why isn't there anything about bear-baiting in the United States listed? It is a popular underground sport in South Carolina and run by some sort of hound club. Cannot remember the name. And I would bet that if South Carolina has it then other states might as well. It has been in the news lately. Someone should be able to verify it and add it to the website. V. Warren —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 17:35, 1 September 2010 (UTC)
According to the source cited, bear baiting takes place only in parts of Pakistan, not in the middle east. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 03:10, 14 February 2007 (UTC).
- It still takes place today in many counteries. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk) 06:17, 19 July 2008 (UTC)
- I would like to add a fully cited description of the bear baiting situation in Pakistan to this page. This will include where it occurs, what types of bears are used, the legal situation, what happens during the baiting and what is being done to prevent it.
- I wish to do so because at present someone searching for information on this issue would be under the impression it no longer occurs after seeing this page (if you Google 'bear baiting' this page appears first). Bear baiting is on the wane in Pakistan but still occurs in two provinces.
- I plan to cite the Wiki page which explains that the Quran includes teachings against animal cruelty to ensure that this article is not used to attack other aspects of Pakistani culture.
- I hope this is acceptable and will be a welcome additon, please let me know if you have any concerns.
- Best wishes Kategreen77 (talk) 15:49, 4 August 2008 (UTC)
I don't think this belongs under "England". Should be under a separate section. Also, England - should we be calling it United Kingdom or Great Britain? Calling the UK "England" is like calling the United States "New York" Kyanwan (talk) 18:37, 2 June 2010 (UTC)