|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Cali article.|
|Cali has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Geography. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as Start-Class.|
|WikiProject Colombia||(Rated Start-class, Top-importance)|
|WikiProject Cities||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on July 25, 2007, July 25, 2008, and July 25, 2009.|
the worst article I've seen
Koldorogollo (god bless him) made a lot of additions to this article, written in "spanglish". This is one of the worst articles I've ever seen. I will write to him and I will ask him to stop defacing this article. It is almost impossible to correct all the grammatical mistakes he made. Most of the talk in this page, no offense intended, is also written in an indescribable mixture of English and Spanish: no wonder that the article is illegible. Please, I encourage you to make contributions to the Spanish Wikipedia. Some excerpts in this talk page: "sombre y tranquilla", "Caleano", "steps of irregularity, "It is legend to say", "To say only about this hills", "missing critically", "if you can input yourself", "suffice it to say", "give comments about", "is it really accurate to the last 30 years of history", "has the biggest cycling track", etc., etc. Frankly, it is very hard to contribute to English Wikipedia if you do not know how to speak in English. I beg you to stop. --Ciroa (talk) 08:13, 15 May 2013 (UTC)
July, 2007 - I agree with Cali being a beautiful city with many small parks throughout the city providing sombre y tranquilla. It requires a native Caleano who usually has lived there for quite some time to show and tell about the general area, ie. Tres Cruces that is monumental atop one of the highest hills of these Andes foothills. It must be reached via a very long, hard climb up many, many steps of irregularity. Cristo Rey also sets high on another hill. Both religious monuments are very visible from the floor of the city, Cali. It is legend to say Cali has the most beautiful women for "tourist" purposes, although the tourist population, mostly in the months of June, July and September is few, coming from Eirope, Sweden, Germany, etc. Over a period of four months, I have witnessed many local, Caleano mujers. They are quite chic for the most part and stride as if models on the runway. Their skin and complexion is flawless. Their beautiful white teeth are just that. A Caleano is never without a toothbrush and toothpaste! Suffice it to say for me, Cali is special.
Gene Brown - firstname.lastname@example.org _________________________________________________________
I know Cali is the best city in colombia. (Raniya 22:43, 9 December 2005 (UTC))
In population it is the second city, according to the last statistics by DANE. C_arango Dec.30.2005
yea Cali is definitely the best city in Colombia and has the most beautiful women
i love cali
(please write above this line your new suggestion, signature would be appreciated). ilove cali
- About the topography of the region I couldn't find anything about the location of the Tres cruces and Cristo rey. To say only about this hills is not enough, we need to specify the geographical location, maybe some geological information, and why not the type of vegetation... Remember an encyclopedia tries to give a complete idea of something, it is not like a journalist that only reports and nothing else. (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- If somebody have better and more complete information about the precolumbian period in Cali I would appreciate if you write me indicating the source or if you can input it yourself. In case this section gets too long I suggest to make an abstract for the main page "Santiago de Cali" and a link for a new page "History of Santiago de Cali". (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- Incidently, please somebody write about the precolumbian tribes and cultures!! (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- Also in the history, it is kind of weak the part talking about the re-conquest by spain after 3rd july 1810. Improvements are very welcome. (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- A section which is missing critically is one talking about the Economy of the region, I couldnt find good sources. I thought Yumbo's industrial activity, sugar ingenios, chemical industry, mutinationals. I consulted the webpage of the CCC (camara de comercio de Cali) but there is nothing in there(!?) (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- About the transportation I guess we have to wait until the MIO is working to specify routes in a map. (C_arango 30 December 2005 (UTC))
- This is the only article for a major city that I have seen that does not contain a section on Demographics. --Jleon (talk) 04:25, 6 January 2009 (UTC)
Who calls California "cali"? East coast wrappers and a few folks under 20. Having this here dignifies this offensive usage. 184.108.40.206 02:57, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
There is local music band called Blunt (www.myspace.com/bluntcolombia) that have a single called 'No Soy de California' ('I'm not from California'), making reference to this fact, that some people from California refers to their state as Cali. 220.127.116.11 08:41, 28 October 2007 (UTC)
Working for a better Cali's page
Santiago de Cali "wikiproject"
Hi every body, I'm interested in the expansion of this page in wikipedia, The people who wants to help; PLEASE do it.
1.Economic information about the city.
2.Extra touristic information.
3.Education, information, pictures of the principal universities almost a picture if the Valle's university.
Please give comments about if you want to help.
Elephant in the room
I can understand the desire not to dwell too much on the negative, but is it really accurate to the last 30 years of history not to mention any of the words "drugs", "cocaine", or cartel at all? AnonMoos (talk) 10:53, 28 February 2008 (UTC)
What you want to know? I think that is something that you can fin it in the news, and in hollywood or criollo movies, the most real cali the one that is not totally perfect but with beautiful things is the one we are trying to shown in here.. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 20:21, 7 May 2008 (UTC)
I have to say, I honestly can't remember a single Hollywood movie where the crime and serious violence that plagues Cali has been in. It doesn't get on the news much either. Yes Cali should be shown for it's beautiful things, but there's a crime section missing. This isn't a tourist brochure after all. Power Society (talk) 13:35, 12 June 2008 (UTC)
- But not a word about the Cali cocaine cartel and its rivalry with Medellin?--Wetman (talk) 06:06, 25 July 2008 (UTC)
Founding of city
The line about Cali's being founded in the late 1600s by Fernando with a population of 17 contradicts the earlier statement about 1536 and on its face sounds absurd. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Wbkelley (talk • contribs) 12:59, 27 April 2008 (UTC)
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section. Move 23:15, 1 April 2009 (UTC)
Santiago de Cali → Cali — The naming conventions for geographic settlements states that "when a widely accepted English name, in a modern context, exists for a place, we should use it." Cali is the widely accepted English name of the city, not Santiago de Cali. The name of this article should just be Cali. — Digirami (talk) 23:25, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
- Feel free to state your position on the renaming proposal by beginning a new line in this section with
*'''Oppose''', then sign your comment with
~~~~. Since polling is not a substitute for discussion, please explain your reasons, taking into account Wikipedia's naming conventions.
- Support as per above. Digirami (talk) 23:26, 20 March 2009 (UTC)
- Support per nom. — 03:16, 28 March 2009 (UTC)
- SupportSanfraa (talk) 14:45, 1 April 2009 (UTC)
- Any additional comments:
- The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.
Why do we have this section? How come it doesn't say how to get there from my house? Where are the updates on road construction?
Less flippantly, do we really want to give directions on which highway exit to take? Google Maps does this much better and I don't see driving instructions as being an encyclopedic topic. The section is detailed and well-referenced, but I would respectfully propose its removal, or perhaps a rewrite as "Major highways". Franamax (talk) 19:30, 15 April 2009 (UTC)
Why is there no mentioning in the sports section about cycling?? Cycling is the 2nd biggest sport in cali after football. Not basketball. Cali also has the biggest cycling track in Colombia, called Velodromo Alcides Nieto Patiño. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 12:23, 21 April 2009 (UTC)
Why is someone editing the last pictures I uploaded? Please if you have a good reason why the pictures I put over there are not well, tell us here, but not just delete them and put another ones, that I think are not really good to place them there, first because the pictures are not really in a good quality, and also because those pictures have nothing to do with the topic! thanks! —Preceding unsigned comment added by Alekow (talk • contribs) 01:23, 17 January 2010 (UTC)
User:Koldorogollo made 19 edits in a row that significantly changed large portions of text and are full of grammatical errors and red links while not providing a single source (and removing a number of sources). I don't personally have the time to review these edits right now, but I think it would be really useful if someone could at least clean it up and hopefully verify the content as well. -- Irn (talk) 03:29, 14 January 2013 (UTC)