|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Chichester article.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article has an assessment summary page.|
Why are the
removed from Schools? Ben 19:07, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
- I would re-add them tbh: one suspects that as the user who removed them only started editing today they may not be up on the rules for inclusion on Wikipedia. -- Francs2000 19:10, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
- Replaced Ben 17:03, 27 May 2006 (UTC)
Goodwood Festival of Speed / Revival
What about Goodwood? its the largest even of its kind in the world.
Corn & Butter Market
It would be good if someone would add details about the Corn & Butter Market. The former currently houses a clothes shop. Before that it was a McDonalds and a cinema. The Butter Market currently contains small shops.
I notice that there are no up-to-date details about the present problems with the Butter Market - it might be a good idea to put it in.
Would also be a good idea to detail the Farmers' Market and French Market?
MrTAToad 13:06, 25 January 2007 (UTC)
I've deleted the claim that the population trebles in summer. There's no citation and it's most unlikely that a population of 23,000 becomes 70,000 for a few months. In any case, Chichester can hardly be described as a seaside resort, as was implied. I also deleted the ungrammatical sentence following this claim. Millbanks 23:40, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
I don't understand the wording here. Millbanks 23:40, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
Now changed Millbanks 20:04, 2 December 2007 (UTC)
today i deleted the claim that keane is from chichester, which was in the music section. there was no reference. as far as i know they are from somewhere in east sussex - that's what the bio on wikipedia states. i deleted the claim that chichester has a "central" place in britain's music scene. i am unhappy about this section altogether. it would be cool if some authentic information about local bands could be added as the stark reference to horsebox is not very convincing. if something is not added to this section then it should be scrapped, n'est-ce pas? Timothymurphy (talk) 19:29, 8 March 2008 (UTC)
Need for a rewrite
This article fails in almost every respect! The guidelines here on the writing about settlements is hardly touched upon. Its all about the place as a tourist attraction, nothing about the city as a place in which to live and work. In particular:
- the intro should summarise the article's contents - this one introduces stuff not included elsewhere
- the History section - about an extremely historic place - rushes from the Romans to an undated para about franchises. There must be more! There is - look at this to begin with ... one Google reference talks about 2000 years of history!!
- Geography: no mention of the site of the city, nor the River Lavant etc
- sections should include
- governance: nothing about the City Council; nor West Sussex CC HQ which is located here.
- demography (what do the people who live there do?)
- economy: OK tourism's important, but there are other things for people's employment
- transport - the city is a road hub: served by at least five main roads, which should be described, not just listed. The "Selsey Tram" was actually a light railway: it was simply called a tram locally
- nothing about other religious buildings - there's more than just the cathedral, which has its own article anyway
- education: all West Sussex schools are listed elsewhere, but it is normal to include secondary schools and further eduaction colleges (and not listed)
- culture - all those sub-sections should be in one
Finally I have produced a new article List of people from Chichester. It was a simple, but long-winded, task to trawl the toolbox heading "What links here" to find them. The Category:People from Chichester only gets completed wen someone sees that the subject of the article has a connection with the city, so there are only a handful in it.
I am working on the new article over the next few days. Once completed it will be seen how it gives openings for including things in a logical manner, snd opens the way for a more considered description of Chichester. Peter Shearan (talk) 16:00, 28 May 2008 (UTC)
Run over by a train
According to the Wikipedia article on William Huskinsson, he is NOT the first person to be run over by a train, but the fifth. This should be clarified in the article. Caeruleancentaur (talk) 12:51, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
- Lordington consists of a manor house used as a care home, a few other houses and the small ancient church of St Peter, Racton with Lordington, beside the B2147 north of Westbourne, but in Stoughton civil parish. Probably best to add it to Stoughton with a redirect I would think.--Charles (talk) 10:21, 28 May 2011 (UTC)