From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Architecture (Rated Stub-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Architecture, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Architecture on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the project's quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.

Suggested merge[edit]

I have suggested that the architectural section of this article and the article Caisson (Asian architecture) be merged. The articles seem to be discussing the same architectural feature and the architectural portion of this article needs more material. It might also be feasible to merge both articles with cupola. As it is the word "Caisson" does not seem to be used frequently in Western architecture to describe this feature. In Asian architecture, the description seems to be the same as that of coffer. --Mattisse 13:50, 17 October 2007 (UTC)

I am withdrawing this suggestion, as no one seems interested. Mattisse 00:16, 31 October 2007 (UTC)

The discussion about coffers is incomplete is also a reference to a "box of valuables" merriam Webster's And in my personal recollection it refers to your personal bank account or savings. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 22:59, 28 April 2009 (UTC)

Caisson has a specific meaning in English to describe engineering solutions for bridge piers, etc. Its use to describe the coffering of a coffered ceiling is misleading because it's less than correct. Separate articles are needed.--Wetman (talk) 01:22, 29 April 2009 (UTC)
I agree with this statement. —Mattisse (Talk) 02:16, 29 April 2009 (UTC)

coffer (or coffering) in architecture, is a sunken panel..[edit]

But what does that mean? "sunken panel"?RayJohnstone (talk) 04:37, 16 March 2010 (UTC)

What is a "pole", where is the "experimentation"?[edit]

"Experimentation with the possible shapes of the pole is coffering,..." What is a "pole"? I checked the pages on tessellation, dome, and related terms, but did not find the word. I assume it refers to the vertical line through the top of the dome, but any real definition would be helpful. Also, if the "experimentation" part is important, can someone include some pictures? Thanks! Obl obl (talk) 13:04, 30 May 2012 (UTC)