Talk:Copper toxicity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Medicine / Toxicology (Rated C-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Medicine, which recommends that this article follow the Manual of Style for medicine-related articles and use high-quality medical sources. Please visit the project page for details or ask questions at Wikipedia talk:WikiProject Medicine.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by the Toxicology task force (marked as Mid-importance).
 

}}

Copper sulfate LD50[edit]

Here it says 30 mg/kg, on the copper sulfate page it says 300... —Preceding unsigned comment added by 79.30.128.146 (talk) 12:45, 22 January 2010 (UTC)

Watkins Disease[edit]

I have a friend who recently passed away after being diagnosed with Watkins Disease. In searching the internet for information on this particular disease, the only thing I could find was one sentence that said that Watkins Disease is a result of too much copper in the body, or the body not processing copper probably. Is this true? If so, then why can't I find any more information? I would like to know how she got the disease and what can be done to treat it. Thanks for any information that you can provide. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 71.116.11.138 (talk) 19:00, 17 September 2010 (UTC)

Copper in blood test[edit]

My daughter has been told she has way to much copper in her recent blood test... How does this occur? and what can be done naturally? Thank you Annie —Preceding unsigned comment added by 219.89.143.238 (talk) 19:40, 19 December 2010 (UTC) This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 76.90.171.224 (talk) 10:12, 23 May 2014 (UTC)

Copper kills germs[edit]

according to Len Saputo, MD, Copper Kills 97% of ICU Bacteria and he suggests that hospitals should use copper: surfaces, door handles, hand rails etc. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 85.94.86.28 (talk) 14:23, 16 July 2011 (UTC)

Improvements[edit]

This article really needs to be improved in a number of areas:

  • Reference 5 is dead — Preceding unsigned comment added by 24.84.41.148 (talk) 09:49, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
  • More clarity over the dangers of copper cookware. The article states that copper is released from cooking acidic food in copper cookware, but is it the heat or the acid or a combination of the two aspects? The example of copper poisoning in India cites boiling milk releases copper, but milk is only slightly acidic (ph. 6.5?) which suggest the heat component is more important. If that's true, then can copper be used safely with unheated acidic food or can heated non-acidic food be dangerous? I don't know and don't want to commit OR so where is this information be found and referenced?
Update: Found are ref for a case when acidic liquid stored in an old urn caused copper poisoning. http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/fshbull/fshbull20f.htm Perhaps the lead should be changed to reflect this... +|||||||||||||||||||||||||+ (talk) 17:42, 10 March 2012 (UTC)
  • EPA data. At first it states that evidence for testicular cancer is "most adequate", then in the section EPA cancer data says its "inadequate". The reference to the EPA page: Copper (CASRN 7440-50-8) is unfortunately beyond my expertise to interpret, and the second reference is broken: http://www.epa.gov/ncea/iris/subst/0368.html
  • Water Tank Connection section. This is really out of place and poorly written. I'm tempted to delete it entirely but perhaps the gist of the information it attempts to convey is suitable if written in the an encyclopaedic way. As it stands, I fail to see why anyone would see a "linkage" between an inert plastic container and copper poisoning, when it seems obvious that the problem (if it exists at all) relates to the use of copper piping, which is not addressed sufficiently. Confusing.
  • Re: "Copper kills germs" above, I also think coppers Oligodynamic effect should be discussed. I'll add it.

+|||||||||||||||||||||||||+ (talk) 06:38, 10 March 2012 (UTC)

I removed the "water tank connection" section per WP:NOR. For what it's worth, here is what seems to be the original article: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/11/24/3075218.htm --4368 (talk) 02:18, 4 June 2013 (UTC)

High cobalt in blood due to metal on metal hip replacement[edit]

I had a hip revision done in Feb 2013, due to high cobalt (8 times) and high Chromium (3.07). Do you have any information as to what damage this metal can be doing to my body. I am having some problems with my eye and I have lost ability to taste. Carol A. Wood. Jrwoody1907@gmail.com — Preceding unsigned comment added by 75.185.144.151 (talk) 16:34, 6 March 2013 (UTC)

Copper sulfite in garlic[edit]

When some varieties of garlic are added in pickling with vinegar turn into a blue color which many pages in the web say that it due to the content of sulfur and copper salts which turn into blue in contact with the acetic acid. I have not found which quantity of copper it contains neither something about it's toxicity. Normally garlic is used in low quantities to cook because it has a strong taste and it's abuse may predominate in the taste of the dish. But sometimes it is used in large quantity in very tasteful dishes and souses, like the Argentinian chimichurry where the blue color can be seen, but in dishes like shrimps fried in with garlic the garl ic does not change of color. For that reason it is no always possible o know if a dish with garlic is rich in copper which makes difficult to do statistical correlations in the quest for it's impact in health in the regions where it is part of the quotidian diet.

Has anyone information about this issue? if so it could be included in the article in a section about common meals high in copper. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 189.178.47.25 (talk) 01:20, 14 February 2014 (UTC)