Talk:De Montfort University
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the De Montfort University article.|
|WikiProject England||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Universities||(Rated C-class)|
|This article is written in British English (colour, realise, travelled), and some terms used in it are different or absent from other varieties of English. According to the relevant style guide, this should not be changed without broad consensus.|
2011 DMU revamp
I've changed what I can in the article to reflect the changes this year. I've got as far as the ones on the buildings (except such as may be contained in the section on the Faculty of Health and Life Sciences about the former Charles Frears campus) and integrating the former Faculty of Art and Design (AAD) with that of Humanities (HSS) - I've simply shifted the Humanities section to underneath the Art and Design one, removed the title and changed that of AAD to Art, Design and Humanities (ADH). I haven't changed any of the content of these sections. Several changes are necessary; these involve the subjects of education and politics, among others. I'll do more when I can, but I probably don't have the time to do them justice. Any others willing to have a go?
Although I did a fair bit towards the page whilst I was a student there, I'm afraid I'm not quite as in the loop as to what changes have been made at the university since.
Here is a rough list of things that need work from a quick skim:
- The logo needs updating - the current one no longer has the 'dmu.ac.uk' address
- The new ADH faculty description needs trimming back to its key points
- The faculty sections need to follow a coherent layout - f.ex. the Health & Life Sciences section is structured very differently to the other sections
- The league table under 'Reputation' needs updating to include the results of 2011 and 2012
- The student facilities section needs to include the new QEII leisure centre as opposed to the Sandford sports centre
- The 'future plans' section is outdated - the health centre it details has now been built. There is also no mention of the pedestrianisation that is scheduled to occur
- The alumni section has a bit of a markety feel to it: 'the wide range of careers pursued by De Montfort graduates reflects their abilities to succeed and prosper in many areas from business to architecture'. It had also been divided into categories, some of which could use condensing or reconsidering, e.g. maybe remove 'modelling'.
So far as I can remember, DMU never had an operation in Luton. Anyone want to disagree before I remove the claim that there was?
I'm very sceptical that the university got any significant amount of money from unloading the branch campuses. Does anyone in the know want to tell us there was before I remove the claim that proceeds were ploughed into the Leicester Campus. Betacolonist (talk) 19:00, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
- I am sure you are right about the lack of a Luton presence. DMU certainly did receive money for the sale of the Bedford campus, but it was a complex deal and a reliable source may be hard to find. I am not sure that any of these deals was ever in the public domain, but I will see what I can do.--SabreBD (talk) 21:09, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for this Sabrebd. I've now had a go at rewriting the history section to do a bit more justice to the branch campuses - at least to say what they were; one could certainly say more about Bedford College. The Luton campus is now erased from history. Betacolonist (talk) 23:05, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
Listing recipients of honorary degrees mixed in with alumni is a bit outrageous. I suggest two sections. I don't have easy access to official lists. Does anyone with access to lists want to take this on, or should we resort to doing our homework on Wikipedia like everyone else? 188.8.131.52 (talk) 18:55, 26 November 2012 (UTC) From Betacolonist (talk) 18:56, 26 November 2012 (UTC)
Potential COI declaration
I've updated the Library section and rationalised the headings to reflect the fact that Library and Learning Services actually consists of four sites, of which Kimberlin Library is the main one. COI: I work in the Library. I'm sure I haven't raised any promotional issues that would make a potential COI real. See if you agree with my changes. In fact, I would suggest taking out a previous line, presently the first sentence under the "Library and Learning Services" heading. This gives the Library's score in the 2010 National Student Survey, which is both out of date and could be seen as promotional. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Anselm (talk • contribs) 21:16, 11 January 2014 (UTC)