|WikiProject Ireland||(Rated Start-class, Low-importance)|
I've a query on the meaning of donnybrock. As far as I was aware, donnybrock meant "Den of the Badger" - Broc meaning badger, and the first part (sorry, can't spell it) meaning den/home/lair.
Though , I could be wrong.
Never heard of a saint broc though.....
- I've always been suspicious of the name myself - seems like an attempt to impose a Christian origin on the placename. However, any of the sources I can find backs up the Domhnach Broc story, and I was even able to find some background info on (Saint) Broc: http://relliott.tripod.com/dbrkhist.html --Ryano
- Also, aren't Ailesbury and Shrewsbury roads in Ballsbridge? Demiurge 23:24, 20 August 2005 (UTC)
- I say this article should be changed because it is confusing to have 2 pages with a claim to Ailesbury and Shrewsbury and also U.C.D.'s campus is in Belfield.--Fenian Swine 23:35, 20 August 2005 (UTC)
- UCD really is in Belfield. People living on Ailesbury and Shrewsbury Road are more likely to claim they are from Donnybrook but the roads are between the two towns and I have heard both used but I'm convinced Donnybrook holds priority. [[User:Horkana]Horkana]
- It's impossible to have a hard and fast rule on this one - Ailesbury Road links Donnybrook with the Merrion Road, and Shrewsbury Road runs between Ailesbury Road and Merrion Road. People living at the Merrion Road ends of these streets are probably more likely to give their addresses as Ballsbridge, but if you're at the Donnybrook end of Ailesbury Road you're so close to Donnybrook village that it would be difficult to say you lived in Ballsbridge.
- In practice, residents probably decide which they live in based on which one will increase the value of their property more. --Ryano 16:53, 9 September 2005 (UTC)
what about the hardcore band by the same name?? [[User:dawhitfield]dawhitfield]
what about some useful information on the place? see Georgian Dublin for a good example of this
redundancy: term "a donnybrook (= a brawl)" is explained twice in the article
... and with almost the exact same words. First mention is in the second paragraph and then again under "History". I'm not sure where the explanation of the term should be placed but one instance definitely ought to be removed. – ὁ οἶστρος (talk) 14:41, 19 July 2010 (UTC)