|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Untitled
- 2 Dubuque Greyhound Park and Casino
- 3 Neighboring towns
- 4 SOURCING/LENGTH
- 5 Pronunciation
- 6 Copyright vio?
- 7 "Racial Tension In Dubuque"
- 8 Does Dubuque and the San Diego Chargers really share the same seal?
- 9 Spin off List of people from Dubuque, Iowa
- 10 Completely inadquate verifiability
I've lived near Dubuque for most of my life (execpt a few years when I was away). I've been working to put more information on the area on this site. But even as long as I've been here, I don't know everything about the city. So if there's anything that needs to be corrected, please feel free to do so.
I added a little bit more on the history tonight, and moved a couple pictures around. In regards to the visit of Bush in May of 2004, I hope I just reported what happened, and that people don't think that I had a bias against Bush that showed in the article just because it didn't really paint him in the best light.
- JesseG 02:24, 20 May 2004 (UTC)
I added some more information of the political climate of Dubuque. Specifically on how the area has been a stronghold for the Democrats over the years.
Another thing I noticed while reading through the article was on the historic preservation controversy in the city. I think that demolishing the old Merchant's Hotel was about the best thing to have been done in the downtown area. The hotel had basically been allowed to rot away, but the historic preservation people in the city refused to offer any viable plans to save it, and took the line of they didn't care how bad it got, it was historic and that was good enough for them. I'm all for historic preservation, but not if it's going to be used as an excuse to do nothing and allow buildings to become structually unsound and an eyesore.
- JesseG 04:54, 10 Jul 2004 (UTC)
I thought there was more than enough in the history section for an article of its own. And it looked like the article size was starting to get up there a bit. So I cut out every thing that was in the History section of the Dubuque article, and placed it in its own article - History of Dubuque, Iowa.
JesseG 04:32, May 26, 2005 (UTC)
Land for this project was acquired from several businesses by condemning them through eminent domain. Most saw this action as unlawful and was pursued yet by the city council, most of which were real estates agents and/or had interest in overthrowing the current property owners so that they could invest in the common good of all.
is rather polemical, definitely not NPOV, but will leave it intact should JesseG want to comment. --FourthAve 7 July 2005 20:31 (UTC)
I left some additional comments here, but I apparently never saved them. Briefly, a link to the wikipedia article on the Archdiocese of Dubuque should be correlated. There are some additional Dubuque links that might also be integrated, particularly in the disambiguation page for searches on _Dubuque_, for the Archdio. as well as the Shot Tower article. --FourthAve 8 July 2005 00:01 (UTC)
Dubuque Greyhound Park and Casino
The Dubuque Greyhound Park and Casino article could probably do with being linked from here, but there isn't an obvious place to put it, so I'll let someone familiar with the article add it. Thryduulf 21:56, 10 November 2006 (UTC)
- I removed unsourced statements about Dubuque's population and MSA composition. While Grant County, Wisconsin, and Jo Daviess County, Illinois, are considered part of the Tri-State (or "Tri-States" -- I've seen both ways) area by locals, the federal government considers Dubuque County as the only county in the MSA. Also, if Dubuque's population is indeed 65,500, please provide a source that mentions that since the Census Bureau considers Dubuque's population at 57,798. See the links provided in the footnotes. --Iowahwyman 01:00, 11 January 2007 (UTC)
Perhaps the sections which have been recently added that include the "neighboring towns" near Dubuque should be deleted. Here's why: the article is about the city of Dubuque itself, not it's surrounding area (to a great extent). Madison, Rockford, and the like really have nothing more to do with Dubuque than they do with Milwaukee or Chicago. If the article on "Dubuque" begins to expand to include the entire region, than the focus will be lost, and it will only have a regional context. There are plenty of things happening IN THE CITY proper, so I think the article should be edited to include info as it relates only to the city, not the region, (other than background on how the city affects its region). DBQer 17:24, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
- I removed it, as well as some of the headers which had no information under them. --Iowahwyman 18:20, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
The article looks much better, without the clutter. Less is more! :) DBQer 20:51, 13 January 2007 (UTC)
Please be sure to source statements or facts that you are adding to this article (Why Source?). Any unsourced statements (and there have been many) will be removed. This is an encyclopedia, and personal belief or heresy cannot be presented as fact. Also, please be aware that the article is becoming quite long (WP:SIZE), and try to keep new additions to a minimum, unless they present important information not already covered. Thank you. DBQer 21:10, 25 March 2007 (UTC)
Image:RiverPointe1.jpg: This image looks like a copyright vio, unless someone can point out the page where it says its GNU, which I highly doubt, it should be deleted. So if an admin sees this . . . IvoShandor (talk) 20:55, 4 May 2008 (UTC)
- So are most of the images uploaded by this user. I've gone through his contributions and looked at each image individually. Nyttend (talk) 22:19, 4 February 2009 (UTC)
"Racial Tension In Dubuque"
I have removed a subsection (itself curiously under the "Climate' subsection of the "Geography" section) regarding racial tensions running high because the subsection/paragraph/sentence had no reference. I really don't understand why someone would put it under the Climate subsection. 1brettsnyder (talk) 02:50, 22 August 2010 (UTC)
Spin off List of people from Dubuque, Iowa
This article is pretty long, particularly the section on notable residents. The notable residents article could easily stand alone, as other Lists of people from City X do. Therefore, I propose the content in the notable residents section be moved to the title List of people from Dubuque, Iowa 21:25, 19 September 2012 (UTC)
- Some examples List of people from Milwaukee, Wisconsin List of people from Des Moines, Iowa. This request was made a while back, but it would probably be a good idea to do this for Dubuque, because the list is pretty long at this point. In fact just by doing a quick comparison based on looks I think Dubuque's list is longer than Des Moines's list. Jamo2008 (talk) 17:48, 31 December 2012 (UTC)
Completely inadquate verifiability
Most of the article is not sourced. I added a lot of flags to remind folks. The sloppiness of using present tense without a date adds ambiguity. I will return here periodically, and encourage every editor to remove stuff after some time of warning, if claims aren't verified. This is an encyclopedia not a memory book or advertising site.--Wuerzele (talk) 19:55, 25 February 2015 (UTC)