Talk:Electronic symbol

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Electronics (Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is part of WikiProject Electronics, an attempt to provide a standard approach to writing articles about electronics on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, you can choose to edit the article attached to this page, or visit the project page, where you can join the project and see a list of open tasks. Leave messages at the project talk page
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Mid  This article has been rated as Mid-importance on the project's importance scale.

I'm sure the zener diode should look like it has a Z across the end of it (this one looks more like an S)

IEEE Std. 315-1975 section, page 140, shows the same symbol as shown in the article and describes it as a "unidirectional voltage regulator diode". What standard shows a Z? I don't see either a Z or S, myself.
On the other hand, the vacuum tube symbols disagree with, which says an indirectly heated cathode shouldbe a straight line, not the pot-hook shown in these symbols. --Wtshymanski (talk) 13:39, 14 October 2010 (UTC)

The "Zener Diode" page has the symbol:

which is quite different to the symbol on the "Diode" page:

Please would someone knowledgeable add a correction or note to indicate why there is a difference ? Darkman101 (talk) 09:40, 13 May 2013 (UTC)


It's not clear why there are two overlapping lists of component abbreviations --Belg4mit (talk) 01:54, 8 March 2011 (UTC)

Missing Symbols[edit]

There are symbols in the introductory thumbnail not in the body, which also has a conspicuous absence of light bulbs. --Belg4mit (talk) 01:58, 8 March 2011 (UTC)

Also need a symbol for Circuit Breakers, which are mentioned in the abbreviations list. Other missing symbols (Relays, Motors, etc.) can be found by following the links provided, but no link, and no symbol on the Circuit Breaker Wiki page. --Arciver (talk) 19:06, 27 February 2012 (UTC)

Someone needs to add the symbol for a motorCircuitboardsushi (talk) 19:22, 22 June 2013 (UTC)

Connector J vs. P is not related to gender[edit]

The article states "ASME Y14.44-2008 continues the convention of Plug P and Jack J when assigning references for connectors in electrical assemblies where a J (or jack) is the more fixed and P (or plug) is the less fixed of a connector pair without regard to the gender of the connector contacts." which I believe is correct from my long ago study of the IEEE standard. However, the table below that statement lists J Jack connector (female) and P Plug connector (male). I suggest removing the female and male references as they contradict the statement in the text and the standards.Como andas (talk) 15:44, 18 November 2011 (UTC)

I updated the article table to reflect the position taken by Wikipedia's Jack and Plug articles: "often, but not always," female/male. Wbm1058 (talk) 15:20, 30 November 2011 (UTC)

Subscription only link[edit]

The external link to "International standard IEC 60617 DB Graphical symbols for diagrams" is a subscripion only link, and therefore I would suggest should be replaced with a publicly available authoritative link. Darkman101 (talk) 09:37, 13 May 2013 (UTC)

Not technically correct: reference to BS 3939[edit]

"Also known as BS 3939"

This is not absolutely correct - "BS 3939:2001" is "Aerospace series. Nickel base alloy NI-B46001 (NiCo20Si5B3). Filler metal for brazing. Powder or paste"

This could be misleading and/or confusing.

Specifically the part should be identified as part of the standard and also issue dates.

"BS 3939-1:1985" through "BS 3939-13:1985" would be correct - However they were withdrawn on 15 December 1996.

The most recent standards are "BS EN 60617-1:1996" through "BS EN 60617-13:1996", however these were withdrawn on 01 December 2005. No BS EN standard has replaced them.

It may be better to just remove the old reference to BS 3939 as there is no current version of it and just leave the reference to the IEC 60617-1 to IEC 60617-13. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Qzertyy (talkcontribs) 10:36, 8 August 2013 (UTC)