From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Selected anniversaries for the "On this day" section of the Main Page
|Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before editing this box.
February 18: Independence Day in The Gambia (1965)
- 1766 – A mutiny by captive Malagasy began at sea on the slave ship Meermin, leading to the ship's destruction on Cape Agulhas in present-day South Africa and the recapture of the instigators.
- 1878 – Competition between two merchants in Lincoln County, New Mexico Territory, US, turned into a range war when a member of one faction was murdered by the other.
- 1957 – Kenyan independence leader Dedan Kimathi (statue pictured), who spearheaded the Mau Mau Uprising, was executed by British authorities, who saw him as a terrorist.
- 1970 – An American jury acquitted the "Chicago Seven" of conspiracy and inciting riots stemming from protests during the 1968 Democratic National Convention.
- 2007 – Terrorist bombs exploded on the Samjhauta Express train in Panipat, Haryana, India, killing 68 people.
More anniversaries: February 17 – February 18 – February 19