|Fir has been listed as a level-4 vital article in Science. If you can improve it, please do. This article has been rated as Start-Class.|
|WikiProject Plants||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
Hello, I added some external links on the 11.08.04 for the genus Abies. However, abies has a redirection to 'fir' and so I added them there. This is only my first time Wiking and I do not know how to change the Abies redirection so that I can add my external links to the Abies topic and not the Firs topic. If you could guide me to some instructions I would be happy to try. Mikcohen 09:03, 12 Aug 2004 (UTC)
- You'd better keep them here, since Abies is the same as "fir" and putting external links on the Abies page would mess up the redirect. SCHZMO ✍ 20:17, 30 May 2006 (UTC)
Just read on the new of a Fir tree growing inside a man's lung: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090415/tod-fir-tree-found-growing-inside-man-s-870a197.html
Number of species
- I just made a little change in the species list regarding A. lasiocarpa and bifolia to make it consistent with the systematics used in the Abies lasiocarpa article. 126.96.36.199 (talk) 09:40, 6 November 2010 (UTC) Ingvar Åberge, Norway
Species and subspecies/varieties list
I know that there are som different views of the systematics within the genus Abies, as with many other tree genera, and there is no reason to hide this, of cource. On the other hand could we hope that the presentation in the Wikipedia articles at least in one and the same language could be internally consistent. I have done som adjustmens towards this. Two species not mentioned in the species list have been added and varieties and subspesies earlier not noted on the genus page, but mentioned in the species articles, have been added. Further has links back to the fir article been added to the respective species articles.
There is still som work to be done:
- "Taiga|boreal Asia and North America": Is this supposed to be a link to the taiga article?
- Do anyone have an English name for the semenovii variety of A. sibirica?
- The coahuila variety of durango fir is not mentioned in the species article, yet it is i noted on the list.
- Jalisco fir has it´s own species article and is at the same time treated as a variety under the article about Guatemalan fir. On the species list is it noted as a separate species and not as a variety of guatemalensis.
- On the list are mentioned two subspecies of A. nordmanniana additional to the main subspecies, but in the article about the species is there only mentioned one, and this one has the names of the two subspecies in the list noted as synonyms. Could somebody please make the two articles consistent with one another?
- The variety ernestii of A. recurvata is not mentioned in the species article.
- The variety of A. chensiensis is also not mentioned in the article.
- The article about Pindrow fir mentions another species, Gamble´s fir, but this one does not exist on the list, but could maybe be noted as a variety or subspecies? And should in such case also be that in the Pindrow fir article.
- Does anybody have English names on the varieties and subspecies of A. delavayi?
- How about Abies fabri subsp. minensis?
photo can be used
heres a link to a fir [i think, im no botanist !], located at Wat Doi Suthep, Chiang Mai, Thailand. Dont think its native to the area. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27789249@N05/5273227350/ — Preceding unsigned comment added by Gizziiusa (talk • contribs) 05:13, 19 December 2010 (UTC)