From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Wine Label[edit]

I found this on a Corbieres wine label. I take it to mean herb flavoured

True. The wine's flavor emulates the complex mix of strong-flavored plants found in garrigue. Hugo Dufort 21:10, 12 November 2006 (UTC)

French, Spanish, English[edit]

I would say that the French Garrigue and the Spanish tomillares are not the same. The first is typically a dense community dominated by sclerophyllous shrubs (like Quercus coccifera); the latter is typically a shorter community (and lower biomass) dominated by small-leaved low scrubs (like Thymus species). [Juli Pausas]

This article is simply a French word for an English term. It should not have an article of its own.--Burgas00 17:01, 11 August 2007 (UTC)

What is the English term which is the same as the French word? I can think of scrubland, heath (habitat) and chaparral. There may be others, but each seems to be a relevant only to the country of origin. Sincerely, GeorgeLouis (talk) 16:28, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

Garrigues (disambiguation)[edit]

I propose that when a person types "Garrigues" or "Garrigue" in the search box, the link go directly to the Garrigues (disambiguation) page. I made the suggestion in the Wikipedia:Editor assistance/Requests section, and I received this answer from User:Fluri:

The "search box" goes, by default, to the article with the exact name one types. If one types Garrigues, it takes you to the page by that name. The only way to accomplish what you describe would be to rename (move) the pages to the names you want. Firstly, you would move the Garrigues page to something like Garrigues, Spain and then move the Garrigues (disambiguation) page to Garrigues. None of this should be done, however, without posting to the talk page of both articles telling editors what you suggest doing. Only after a full discussion or, at least, providing ample opportunity for discussion, should you attempt such a move. In general, the principle is that the base name should be at the page that is most likely to be searched for. If most people entering Garrigues want the Spanish county, that should be the default but there should be a prominent {{dablink|Garrigues (disambiguation)}} at the top... — Dave (Talk | contribs) 15:14, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

All people interested in "Garrigues," should respond to this suggestion, preferably by going to the Discussion page at Talk:Garrigues, not here. Sincerely, GeorgeLouis (talk) 20:36, 29 November 2007 (UTC)

Many changes have been made to the Garrigues and Garrigue pages, and they will be ongoing. Sincerely, GeorgeLouis (talk) 16:22, 9 December 2007 (UTC)

'Mixed border'[edit]

'Though they are grown under cooler, moister conditions, many shrubs and flowering perennials of the garrigue are mainstays of the English "mixed border".' What does 'mixed border' mean in this context? Is there a reference within WikiP that we can use? Is this a reference to an English garden? Sincerely, GeorgeLouis (talk) 16:15, 23 May 2008 (UTC)

Aside from the ordinary mixed border in a temperate-zone garden that mixes herbaceous and woody plants, what other meaning could be found? Is this remark not liked? --Wetman (talk) 16:28, 23 May 2008 (UTC)
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of the border country of Scotland and England. Now that I have a good answer from someone who knows about such things, I can do a little editing. Sincerely, GeorgeLouis (talk) 03:41, 29 May 2008 (UTC)