|The contents of the merged into Numa Numa (Video) on October 17, 2012 and it now redirects there. For the contribution history and old versions of the merged article please see its history.page were|
|This page was nominated for deletion on February 27 2005. The result of the discussion was keep.|
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|WikiProject Biography||(Rated NA-class)|
|WikiProject Internet culture||(Rated Redirect-class)|
of Hungarian descent...although his surname is Dutch
So what is it? Is he perhaps Dutch-Hungarian?
Survived VfD at Wikipedia:Votes for deletion/Gary Brolsma
Recreation of article
Gary Brolsma has gained sufficient internet and mainstream media attention in his own right to merit an article. At the moment there is an article on him within the article Numa Numa and it sits awkwardly. If you disagree with this evaluation, then please discuss it here in the first instance and, if that doesn't reach a resolution, it can be taken to AfD. Please see also discussion on the need for this article on Numa Numa talk page. Tyrenius 09:18, 14 September 2006 (UTC)
New Numa internet views
This guy bugs me because of his weak commercialized sellout pathetic attempt to cash in on his original video's popularity by lanching a new website with lame video and contest. I'm sure there's others who feel the same but I don't know how to work that into the article.
It shouldn't be in the article in the first place ._. 188.8.131.52 04:41, 12 January 2007 (UTC)
- Also add that he's fat. —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 11:04, 22 January 2007 (UTC).
- If you can provide evidence that he is overweight (I'm not sure if the head to body ratio or jiggle effect in the videos count) then feel free to add it. Alternatively you could just put an entry about how his 'body' consumes most of the camera space, as evidenced by most of his videos and photos. --220.127.116.11 14:46, 17 Oct 09 (GMT) —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk)
Where can we find the lyrics of new numa? Pictureuploader 19:12, 4 November 2006 (UTC)
You can find them here.
This page needs to be deleted... again. Wiki is not MySpace or an advertisement for Numa Numa. Gary had his 15 minutes of fame but we can't allow biographies of unoteworthy people to persist. There are already the relevent links on the Numa Numa article for anyone wanting to find out about Gary.Uopmegabytes 17:54, 17 May 2007 (UTC)
Nah, you're just jealous. 22.214.171.124 13:05, 13 June 2007 (UTC)
- I think it's notable enough, but not by much. Useight 18:21, 25 June 2007 (UTC)
The Numa Numa Dance has been viewed over 700 million times. How is that not notable 126.96.36.199 21:30, 30 June 2007 (UTC)
- I agree. The Numa Numa Dance is definitely notable, but that article is at Numa Numa. These two articles kind of duplicate each other... --Iamunknown 07:04, 5 July 2007 (UTC)
- This is what Wikipedia is for. Imagine this is 1927 and a guy gets wildly famous for a while doing tightrope walking from skyscraper to skyscraper in New York. It would be nice to have an article on that phenomenon for future reference. Someday you'll be reading something that references it and wonder what it was all about. Wikipedia's value will be greatly lessened if it keeps throwing away exactly the kind of content that people will forget after a couple of years. This happened to the article on the guy who disappeared from a cruise ship; what happens if that guy is ever found? People will rush to Wikipedia for background, and find it was deleted when people got bored with the story. Newspaper and magazines keep all their articles; even the dumb ones about cats being rescued from trees. Without space constraints, there should be no question that Wikipedia should keep all articles that had relevancy and notability at one time. I'm not saying every garage band and momentary Internet fad deserves an article, but this one certainly does. --Tysto 03:27, 16 August 2007 (UTC)
- Upon showing my sister the original Numa Numa, the first thing she said to me was "I thought that guy died", which brings me to ask this question, was there ever a rumour that Gary died? Also, I do believe this page needs to be deleted. It's crap, to be honest. Tyler Warren 09:23, 15 September 2007 (UTC)
^There was a persistant rumour when the movie was first circulated that Gary's friends had made the video to commemorate his death from a heart attack. Shaybear♥ —Preceding signed but undated comment was added at 23:13, 17 September 2007 (UTC)
- I wholeheartedly agree. Delete this crap. Maybe if he ate a few lbs more each day, he would have gotten a REAL icon: featured in Fatboy Slim's "Right Here Right Now" (LOL!) But heck, someone else got the deal to do it. Shizzz happens. -andy 188.8.131.52 (talk) 18:02, 4 March 2010 (UTC)
Concerning my recent edit
Hey there, just wanted to explain my recent edit. I removed the alleged birth date because I could find no references to it. I searched many different search terms, including 'Gary Brolsma birth date', 'Gary Brolsma birthday', 'Gary Brolsma January', but found nothing, except for famouspictures.org, which doesn't indicate how they know his date of birth.
Anyways, even if we found a definite reference, I would hope that editors consider leaving it out (except for, perhaps, the year of birth) out of respect and per WP:BLP. My line of reasoning is that, though Gary is notable as an Internet celebrity, he didn't seem to want the fame (given that he canceled media appearances and didn't start up again until September 2006). I don't think that it is a stretch to assume that he would prefer some of privacy.
Anyways, that is my explanation. --Iamunknown 15:33, 1 October 2007 (UTC)
I removed this paragraph from the article, added by someone several days ago. It's completely unsourced, and it fails a quick Google test.
Because of the fame Gary received, he had considered suicide on many occasions, until February 13, 2007 when he met his 33 year old now wife Marlena Harris (Brolsma), from Brooklyn, New York. When last heard, Marlena is planning her third child, first with Gary, and they plan on naming it Fericirea, meaning happiness, after one of Gary's favorite lyrics to sing in the song "Numa Numa"
Bot report : Found duplicate references !
In the last revision I edited, I found duplicate named references, i.e. references sharing the same name, but not having the same content. Please check them, as I am not able to fix them automatically :)
- "NYT2005" :
- Feuer, Alan; and George, Jason. [http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/26/nyregion/26video.html?_r=1&oref=slogin "Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa"], ''[[The New York Times]]'', [[February 6]], []. Accessed [[November 28]], [].
- He stopped taking phone calls from the media; he cancelled an appearance on [[National Broadcasting Company|NBC]]'s ''[[The Today Show|Today Show]]'' on [[17 February]] []; and he did not cooperate with ''The New York Times'' for their [[26 February]] [] article about him.<ref>[http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/26/nyregion/26video.html?ex=1267160400&en=1d48bf539f85dc0e&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland The New York Times > New York Region > Internet Fame Is Cruel Mistress for a Dancer of the Numa Numa<!-- Bot generated title -->]
Moved info from Numa Numa page to here
I was perusing the Numa Numa page & I saw where someone was adding a bunch of into to it that is pretty much specific more to Brolsma than to the Numa Numa phenomenon. (Like how he wanted to be in a superbowl ad & that he had a new CD out.) I moved the info over that wasn't on this page & just deleted what already was. While Brolsma started it, that page isn't about him in specific. Tokyogirl79 (talk) 11:30, 1 January 2009 (UTC)Tokyogirl79
- Why is this article even necessary? It basically discusses the Numa Numa dance in its entirety. Gary IS Numa Numa. - The New Age Retro Hippie used Ruler! Now, he can figure out the length of things easily. 05:13, 16 May 2010 (UTC)
Because Tysto provided a valid point under the 'Deletion' section. One day we might forget all about this (or we probably have when Gangnam Style was released). This guy is the symbol of his viral video. The reader might want to know his bio. Wethar555 (talk) 23:14, 17 February 2013 (UTC)
Angry German Kid reference
I'm not sure about this, but should the reference to the so-called Angry German Kid meme in this section be removed entirely? I have raised this question because the article itself has been salted. Thanks! --Marianian(talk) 14:06, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
I'm going to suggest merging the page of Gary Brolsma with the Numa Numa (video) page. It seems that from reading his bio, he is not known for much else outside of the numa numa phenomenon (yet) and the info would probably fit better on the page describing the internet meme. --Turn685 (talk) 07:03, 11 December 2013 (UTC)