From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

In engineering and construction, a gusset -- a more or less triangular sheet metal piece or a block -- is applied on the inside corner of a joint between two structural members (beams, bars). Usually, the butt of one structural member is welded to the side of the other member, then the gusset is pressed into the corner, and more welding (or brazing or metallurgical process) is done where each lateral side of the gusset/triangle meets each structural member. The same process is used for reinforcing a joint such as miter or rabbet joint where the structural members are meeting at their respective ends. This is similar to an A-frame but the space above the cross-bar of the A is filled in. This allows the gusset to be applied without prior measurement, especially when the corner is a 90-degree corner, and/or when the gusset and/or weld area is small. A gusset need not be metal and used for welding. For instance, two polymer bars could have a polymeric gusset set in before joining them via heating. Or, in woodwork, the gusset could be a stamped metal sheet with screw holes along each side. Also, the hypotenuse of the gusset, or the edge facing away from the joint, can be concave to save material and minimize the profile of the joint.

--2601:A:2700:190:FA1E:DFFF:FEDF:8A66 (talk) 20:00, 14 July 2013 (UTC)

WikiProject Textile Arts (Rated Stub-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Textile Arts, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of textile arts on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Stub-Class article Stub  This article has been rated as Stub-Class on the quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the importance scale.

Spam removal[edit]

I removed two anonymous edits containing only, as far as I could see, blatant advertising. Kolbasz (talk) 15:31, 13 January 2008 (UTC)

Vandalism on this page has been blanked because it was useless. (|-- UlTiMuS ( UTC | ME ) 09:47, 14 August 2006 (UTC)

MMMmm gusset

In pantyhose, the gusset also serves for comfort. Without one, the seam would press uncomfortably against a sensitive region.

It wouldn't just fit neatly down the crack, so to speak? —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 00:23, 26 January 2010 (UTC)

Splitting this article[edit]

This article describes two practically unrelated things. While in theory (and name), the two applications (sewing and structural engineering) are similar, their uses in real life are completely different. Both objects are notable and each deserve their own separate article so users can identify between the two. It may also be a good idea to add a disambiguation page for the term Gusset. It's odd for an article to be tagged with both Textile Arts WikiProject and Architecture WikiProject. It should also be tagged with WP Civil Engineering, but I will wait until it is split. Please feel free to leave comments. ~ ωαdεstεr16«talkstalk» 16:03, 13 February 2009 (UTC)

I agree and split the article. Gusset plate now describes the structural engineering one. I'm not sure about the mechanical engineering one; I've moved it there but perhaps it should a third one? I don't understand it well. Rigadoun (talk) 04:41, 1 September 2009 (UTC)

Minnesota Bridge Collapse - Engineering/Gusset Plate[edit]

This fact needs date and references. —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 19:20, 29 April 2009 (UTC)