Talk:Handedness

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject Biology (Rated C-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon Handedness is part of the WikiProject Biology, an effort to build a comprehensive and detailed guide to biology on Wikipedia.
Leave messages on the WikiProject talk page.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the project's importance scale.
 
WikiProject Neuroscience (Rated C-class, High-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Neuroscience, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Neuroscience on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the project's quality scale.
 High  This article has been rated as High-importance on the project's importance scale.
 
WikiProject Anatomy (Rated C-class, Low-importance)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject Anatomy, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Anatomy on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
C-Class article C  This article has been rated as C-Class on the quality scale.
 Low  This article has been rated as Low-importance on the importance scale.
Taskforce icon
This article has been classified as relating to neuroanatomy.
 

Shared material with left-handed[edit]

Moved to Talk:Laterality#From Talk:Handedness.23Shared material with left-handed. Please go there to continue merger discussion.
The removed material spans 10:25, 25 Jan 2005 to 03:12, 11 February 2006, and was moved from here at 10:27, 11 March 2006.

Proposed merger [edit]

Moved to Talk:Laterality#Merger proposal. Please go there to continue merger discussion.
The removed material spans 02:55, 11 February 2006 to 10:16, 11 March 2006, and was moved from here at 2006-03-11 10:27:30

/* Genetic factors */ deletion due to failed verification[edit]

This statement does not correlate with the citations provided.

"Other mechanisms may play a role in handedness, for example hormone signalling. Medland et al.[21] found a CAG repeat length variant in the androgen receptor gene (AR) that is positively correlated with left-handedness in females, and negatively correlated in males. This same variant is positively correlated with testosterone levels in males, and negatively correlated in females." This may help to explain why there are more left-handed men than women (around 12% in men versus 10% in women globally).[3] However, another study has found that this variant is instead associated with mixed-handedness in males (and not left-handedness), conflicting with the original results.[22]

One citation provided is a meta-study, that doesn't give explanation on why "left handedness" is more prevalent in males, just that it is more prevalent in males, the other citation provided states the exact opposite of the above text:

Behav Genet. 2005 Nov;35(6):735-44. Opposite effects of androgen receptor CAG repeat length on increased risk of left-handedness in males and females.

"Likelihood of left handedness increased in those individuals with variants of the androgen receptor associated with lower testosterone levels"

Nature vs nurture?[edit]

I know this is original research on my part, which is why I'm only putting it in talk -- but why is the possibility ignored that the correlation between parents and children might be environmental rather than genetic? You know, the nature vs nurture thing? To say "if both parents of a child are left-handed, there is a 26% chance of that child being left-handed", as if it supports the genetic theory, is a gigantic logical leap. If a kid's raised in a house where both parents demonstrate how to do things with their left hands, and goes on to use her right hand with 74% likelihood, isn't that an amazing demonstration of how little Nature (genetics) OR Nurture (environmental factors) has to do with it?

If there's evidence that suggests that it's nature rather than nurture, I think that evidence should be presented in this article. --RobertStar20 (talk) 15:13, 17 July 2014 (UTC)

List vs. Category vs. Neither[edit]

Hi, What about adding a list of notable left-handed people? Perhaps as a separate article? Smilesofasummernight (talk) 13:49, 25 July 2014 (UTC)

There seems to be a lot of antipathy to this idea, as well as "Category:Left-handed people". See Wikipedia:Categories for discussion/Log/2014 May 16. I don't agree, but the sentiment was overwhelmingly negative. So this article, and the ones pointed to by "See also" are the extent of Wikipedia coverage of this topic. Note that given the strong antipathy of some editors, any assertions about handedness must be well-referenced to WP:RS to remain in Wikipedia. Reify-tech (talk) 14:51, 25 July 2014 (UTC)

Why do cackhanded and cack-hadned redirect here? Why does Google show it?[edit]

I typed define cackhanded in my browser and Google provided a snippet from this article:

Web definitions
Handedness is better performance or individual preference for use of a hand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cack-handed

Why do cackhanded and cack-handed redirect here to this article when it makes no mention of those words? Did it used to? – its history doesn't mention anything. cack-handed means "clumsy or inept"; the article talks about "left-handed" connoting clumsy, but the etymology of cack-handed (either 'excrement', + 'handed' or Norse 'keikr' (bent backwards) + 'handed') is unrelated. I'm going to change borth redirects to Bias against left-handed people#Expressions and colloquialisms.

It's interesting that Google is offering the Wikipedia article on "Handedness" as the definition of "cackhanded." Google should rank wiki redirects lower, especially when the target of the redirect doesn't mention the word. -- Skierpage (talk) 21:58, 10 August 2014 (UTC)

the heart position influence on handedness examples: Dextrocardia, Situs inversus[edit]

probably the heart position influence handedness. For example: Dextrocardia, Situs inversus. In a way the heart position might make us right handed.Where, Handedness have genetic basis. Dextrocardia [[1]] — Preceding unsigned comment added by Gmlcys (talkcontribs) 02:47, 19 August 2014 (UTC) Situs inversusGmlcys (talk) 02:53, 19 August 2014 (UTC)