|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Handedness article.|
|Archives: 1, 2|
|The content of Left-handedness was merged into Handedness on 22 May 2012. That page now redirects here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected page, please see ; for the discussion at that location, see its talk page.|
|WikiProject Biology||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
|WikiProject Neuroscience||(Rated C-class, High-importance)|
|WikiProject Anatomy||(Rated C-class, Low-importance)|
- 1 nonsense
- 2 Shared material with left-handed
- 3 Proposed merger
- 4 /* Genetic factors */ deletion due to failed verification
- 5 handedness: what's going on?
- 6 "thats left" means correct.Only 10 percent of exceptional creative genius in the world
- 7 always something Only morons and bigots would make a big deal of this
70-90% right handed, 10% lefthanded. 30% both. Shame.
at least say stas are divided.
- Moved to Talk:Laterality#From Talk:Handedness.23Shared material with left-handed. Please go there to continue merger discussion.
- The removed material spans 10:25, 25 Jan 2005 to 03:12, 11 February 2006, and was moved from here at 10:27, 11 March 2006.
Proposed merger 
- Moved to Talk:Laterality#Merger proposal. Please go there to continue merger discussion.
- The removed material spans 02:55, 11 February 2006 to 10:16, 11 March 2006, and was moved from here at 2006-03-11 10:27:30
/* Genetic factors */ deletion due to failed verification
This statement does not correlate with the citations provided.
"Other mechanisms may play a role in handedness, for example hormone signalling. Medland et al. found a CAG repeat length variant in the androgen receptor gene (AR) that is positively correlated with left-handedness in females, and negatively correlated in males. This same variant is positively correlated with testosterone levels in males, and negatively correlated in females." This may help to explain why there are more left-handed men than women (around 12% in men versus 10% in women globally). However, another study has found that this variant is instead associated with mixed-handedness in males (and not left-handedness), conflicting with the original results.
One citation provided is a meta-study, that doesn't give explanation on why "left handedness" is more prevalent in males, just that it is more prevalent in males, the other citation provided states the exact opposite of the above text:
Behav Genet. 2005 Nov;35(6):735-44. Opposite effects of androgen receptor CAG repeat length on increased risk of left-handedness in males and females.
"Likelihood of left handedness increased in those individuals with variants of the androgen receptor associated with lower testosterone levels"
handedness: what's going on?
So, in some activities it would seem that 'right-handed' individuals almost exclusively use their left hand for what seems to be the harder job. Guitar playing is an example: the dominant hand gets to do the relatively repetative strumming, whilst the 'cack' hand gets to do the seemingly more complicated fingering. So I thought, rather than 'better hand vs. less good hand' it might be something more complicated, like 'hand that's good at performing one single task' (throwing, hammering, writing) vs. 'hand that's better at co-ordinating multiple movements' (guitar fingering, for example).
So, came here to read the article and can't find anything. I'll go off and look and dump anything that i find here in the article, but, if i don't find anything, if anyone knows anything about this? Maybe a section on dual-handed stuff (guitar playing, knife-and-fork eating, etc) would lead us towards putting something pertinant about the division of labour in there? --Arkelweis (talk) 19:01, 22 March 2015 (UTC)
- Interesting questions. You might want to try asking them on Quora.com, and if you find any WP:RS, add them to the Wikipedia article here. Cheers! Reify-tech (talk) 03:15, 23 March 2015 (UTC)
- Notice the quotation from Scientific American: "A study of musicians in professional orchestras found a significantly greater proportion of talented left-handers, even among those who played instruments that seem designed for right-handers, such as violins." It is a odd to assert that violins favor right-handers, when all the complicated fingering, and vibrato, is done with the left hand. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 03:51, 22 April 2015 (UTC)
"thats left" means correct.Only 10 percent of exceptional creative genius in the world
Yes handiness means skilled. So for people who write with the left, using the right means wrong. With a likelihood to be more clumsy.
Still I like that many can use both efficiently.There are so many tasks that include both fine motor and gross motor skills that every one should have a different preference fro writing, chopping wood and use both for carrying things. The truly dumb would open a fridge door, take out the juice, put it on the counter and then closed the door using only one hand.Forcing people to convert caused enough loss, but to limit your self to the concept of being right handed or left-handed when we have two is truly disabling.
always something Only morons and bigots would make a big deal of this
Wow show a preference for handiness so one can invent differences amongst people. Could as easily live in a place where left handed is the majority. This invented and conditioned diffidence as real effects but who dare complain. the right handed will slightly adapt to the left handed desks. LEFT handed scissors do make sense. So glad people started to come out of this. unfortunately you still blame biology.
When there are people of multiple skin colors the narcissistic goes to work on projecting characteristic into superficial labels. when every one is white, we use gender, and each ego assigns the favorable traits to their group. When your all white male, then you discourage natural use of both hands limiting skill and brain function. Flip a coin " lets make right" or totem. Then make all physical objects revolve around it. To dumb in their bigotry to see they would be " awkward" in all left handed dominate building. create a mix of self created real problems and mindless dis-labeling. .All this for the sake of conformity and an excuse to make someone else feel bad or different. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 04:09, 6 May 2015 (UTC)
|Remember that article talk pages are provided to coordinate the article's improvement only, and are not for engaging in discussion of off-topic matters not related to the main article. User talk pages are more appropriate for non-article-related discussion topics. Please do not use this page as a discussion forum for off-topic matters. See talk page guidelines.|