Talk:Herne Bay, Kent
|Herne Bay, Kent is a featured article; it (or a previous version of it) has been identified as one of the best articles produced by the Wikipedia community. Even so, if you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|Herne Bay, Kent is a selected article, or a candidate to become one, for the Kent Portal.
A showcase article should be relevant to Kent, well written and interesting.
Please feel free to leave comments.
|WikiProject Spoken Wikipedia|
I have made a minor edit to the Herne Bay Schools section by putting the Herne Bay high bit in to a link to the herne Bay high artical and the web link beside it in . any probs then just change it back to how it was. thanks TheSpartians 22:31, 6 March 2007 (UTC)
- It is reasonably well written.
- a (prose): b (MoS):
- It is factually accurate and verifiable.
- a (references): b (citations to reliable sources): c (OR):
- It is broad in its coverage.
- a (major aspects): b (focused):
- It follows the neutral point of view policy.
- a (fair representation): b (all significant views):
- It is stable.
- It contains images, where possible, to illustrate the topic.
- a (tagged and captioned): b lack of images (does not in itself exclude GA): c (non-free images have fair use rationales):
- a Pass/Fail:
The article is reasonably well written in some sections. The history section looks very good. But most of the sections are not organized very well. Several sections are also very brief and incomplete. The lead section should adequately summarize the content of the article; see WP:LEAD for guidelines here.
Promote the demographics section. It should be mentioned earlier in the article, perhaps right after history, or maybe after a 'geography and climate' section. Which brings up another point, there should be a section describing the geography & climate.
Cultural information seems scattered about the article, and should probably be combined into a 'culture' section. It might help to move 'attractions and landmarks' here, since these are mainly cultural attractions. The 'social' section would also fit here as well, although I'd rename it to something like 'annual cultural events & fairs', or something of that nature. Sports facilities might also be a subsection in this area, but should be renamed to simply 'sports', and include more than just info on overall sports in town.
'Interesting facts' seems kind of like a 'trivia' section, which are generally discouraged in articles. This is mainly a list of random topics, and is better if these items are integrated into other areas. Most of these might fit into an 'in popular culture' section, which could be a subsection under 'culture'.
'Affiliations' should probably be renamed to 'sister cities', as these look like sister city relationships. These relationships should be referenced as well. It might help to use Sister Cities International as a reference here. If you browse around to other city articles on wikipedia, you'll see how others have treated these relationships.
The external links section seems a bit long. Some of these links could be eliminated. It might help to review WP:EL.
For information on including inline citations, review WP:CITE.
- Article is much improved. Good work. I moved the portal link from right above the infobox to just below it, as it was causing some of the text in the lead section to overlap into the boxes. Some minor copyediting could be done, as the prose is still a bit awkward at times. Also, try to reduce the amount of external links within the text of the article. An excessive amount of external links within the article is generally discouraged. Ultimately, these should be converted to actual wiki-articles themselves. Cheers! Dr. Cash 21:41, 11 April 2007 (UTC)
The page i good but maybe a bit about te schools and current pier plans will make it more interesting, and it may raise funds for thepier that everyone wans to be built. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Lizamare15 (talk • contribs) 21:57, 2 July 2008 (UTC)
I looked at the weatherbox on this page, and I noticed that the Fahrenheit temperature values were a couple of degrees out, so I calculated them myself [[[Fahrenheit]] = (Celcius x 1.8) + 32].
Epbr123, as you are the main contributor to this excellent article, I hope you don't mind that I made the weatherbox into a template on its own page - it saves space and looks tidier on the edit page. =) Yours, Rossenglish 13:42, 13 June 2007 (UTC)
- That's excellent. Thanks. Epbr123 14:00, 13 June 2007 (UTC)
Spoken version added
There's been some links added mid-prose in the Education section (and appears to have been done so on the 28th March 2008). I think they need addressing. Is this a straight revert or a copyedit/wikification that's needed here? What do others think? --01:24, 2 May 2008 (UTC)
I have today undone an edit which put Herne Bay's current embarrassment due to poor Christmas lighting into the header paragraph. (I should add that I believe the edit which I undid was made in good faith and was supported by a citation). In the full context of Herne Bay, this is not a major or enduring matter. Perhaps it could be added to a section near the bottom of the page? --Storye book (talk) 16:01, 24 November 2012 (UTC)