Talk:History of Tunisia
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|A fact from this article was featured on Wikipedia's Main Page in the On this day... section on May 12, 2004.|
Three new images (Hasdrubal, Hannibal, map of Carthage) taken from <<http://Commons.Wikimedia.org/Category>>. Elfelix 10:05, 22 September 2007 (UTC) All images added by me came from various Wikipedia files and sites. Elfelix (talk) 02:10, 19 December 2007 (UTC)
Changes Jan. 2008
There was no attempt made at discussion before major changes were made to work that took a great deal of efort. Therefore, before additional edits make undoing these recent changes impractical, some recent changes are under consideration to be reversed. In the meantime, I understand that an undo can itself be reversed. Please make a note here in this discussion page as to any contrary point of view, or issues, or other comments. Elfelix (talk) 06:46, 18 January 2008 (UTC) Elfelix (talk) 07:37, 15 April 2008 (UTC) Elfelix (talk) 19:10, 15 July 2008 (UTC)
Too long This article is very fine, so virtually all of it should stay, but as it is, this is too much for one article. I suggest something like History of ancient Tunisia, History of medieval Tunisia, History of Tunisia during the Ottoman Empire, and History of modern Tunisia. Make this article a brief overview that essentially functions like a disambiguation page. Cf. History of Algeria or History of Egypt. -Justin (koavf)❤T☮C☺M☯ 18:19, 18 May 2008 (UTC)
Unfortunately the article would have been split several months ago, but I am unfamiliar with how to do it. My research techniques in Wikipedia editing are slender; I have been unable to figure it out.
Accordingly I've had it listed as three articles on my own page since January.
Also I put this same question to my mentor just last week, who has yet to respond. In fact, when I saw the new special headings on the page I thought it was from him. So thank you very much for your welcome suggestion and contribution.
My own original conception was to have three History of Tunisia articles:
- History of Tunisia: Ancient
- History of Tunisia: Medieval
- History of Tunisia: Modern
The existing intro may be replicated on each of the offspring, but modified a little to address the period at issue.
But the idea of a separate Ottoman Empire article is worth thought and consideration, as are the suggested titles (which may be more in accord with the Wikipedia style). Welcome is also the idea to have the short disambiguation page.
Since it might be educational for me to do the split, and I have been given some leads that may help me in figuring out how to do it, I will plan on making the attempt during my next opportunity to do so. How my efforts will turn out will be for the future to see.
- I've looked into the disambiguity page at Wikipedia, which does not instruct how to split a page. Also, I've looked at the "too long" link, from which can be found a [Category:Wikipedia how-to] page, namely Wikipedia:Splitting. Therein exists a "Procedure" subcategory where I thought I would find out how to split a page, yet it seems to show only how to signal an intent to split an article, not the split itself. Similarly, the "article series" was informative, but not regarding engineering the split.
- At Help:Starting an article it mentions but does not explicitly inform about starting from existing pages, i.e., spliting off an article from an existing one or dividing an existing articles into several articles. In short, I am still not clear on the procedure to follow here.
- I may at some point continue my editing research.
- IN THE MEANTIME, IF AN SKILLED EDITOR CARES TO ACCOMPLISH THE SPLIT, PLEASE DO SO.
- My preference is a split into three articles:
- Although "Early Modern History" would better fit the Ottoman era, here such a "Tunisia under the Ottomans" article would be comparatively very short. The Ottoman era (especially the Bey's attempts at reform) definitely sets the stage for the French Protectorate, which eventually as a result of a long independence struggle leads to the establishment of the current Republic of Tunisia. Also, naming an article History of Tunisia: Early Modern would needlessly obscure the fact that it would simply be about Tunisia under the Ottoman Empire.
- Such a division into three articles would have the merit of clear and decisive historical events marking the end of one article, and start of the next. Also the three articles might eventually be of comparable length (the third currently being the shortest).
- The Introductory paragraph can be replicated on all three, for possible modification later. Also the image of the shield of Tunisia can be a token of coherence between the articles.
- Alternatively, the proposed History of Tunisia: Modern above may instead be made into three short articles:
- History of Tunisia: Ottoman Regency
- History of Tunisia: French Protectorate
- History of Tunisia: The Republic
- For reasons stated above this is not preferred. Yet such further subdivision of the original article would leave ample room for the possibility of future development and growth, if any, in its more "modern" sections. As to the titles, the last The Republic is preferred to Since Independence because The Republic would share equal syntax and equal dignity with the prior titles.
The whole Geography section appears to have little relevance to the History of Tunisia. It would make far more sense for this section to be removed and merged into Tunisia. Skinsmoke (talk) 11:51, 21 September 2011 (UTC)