Talk:ICT in agriculture
I was just adding some examples of ICT use in agricultural information services. They have been deleted, but I think they would be interesting information in a page on ICT in agriculture. Besides, they are all free "Global Public Goods", implemented by non-profit organizations as services that anyone can leverage. And they were created by different organizations, so the list is impartial. And of course it can be completed by other people who know about other ICT applications for agriculture.
Anyway, I copy the list below. I leave it to the moderators to decide if the links can be included.
I work in the Agriculture field, dairy specifically. I can provide a pretty solid set of information about what's going on. There is a lot of emerging technology going on right now as farms start to consolidate into multi-million dollar operations. The margins are so small, everyone is looking for a tiny edge, and that's more frequently coming from using technology as an edge. Small farmers are also getting involved with it a lot as well, even if it's just using computerized herd tracking software. Will it count if my opinion is probably biased? I will link out to all the software products, even the ones that are competitors. KLoverde (talk) 15:53, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
Many initiatives have been started in this field:
- The International Information Systems for Agricultural Science and Technology (IISAST) initiative, which had its first meeting in 2005 in Rome
- The Information and Communications Management for Agricultural Research and Development (ICM4ARD) programme of the Global Forum on Agricultural Research (GFAR), started in 2004
- The e-Agriculture platform implemented by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO of the UN), launched in 2007
- The ICT-KM programme of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR), launched in 2007
- The Web2forDev Conference held in Rome in September 2007
Several ICT applications for agricultural information services have been made available under the umbrella of the above listed initiatives:
- CGIAR Virtual Library
- AgriFeeds, the Agricultural News and Events Aggregator
- The ARD WebRing databases of organizations
Blogs, forums and wikis: Many have been started. Here is a short list of international initiatives: