From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Selected anniversaries for the "On this day" section of the Main Page
|Please read the selected anniversaries guidelines before editing this box.
January 22: Reunion Day in Ukraine (1919)
- 565 – Justinian the Great deposed Eutychius, Patriarch of Constantinople, after he refused the Byzantine Emperor's order to adopt the tenets of the Aphthartodocetae, a sect of Monophysites.
- 1905 – Russian Revolution: Peaceful demonstrators, led by Father Gapon (pictured), a Russian Orthodox priest, were massacred outside the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg.
- 1924 – Ramsay MacDonald took office as the first British Prime Minister from the Labour Party.
- 1944 – World War II: The Allies commenced Operation Shingle, an amphibious landing against Axis forces in the area of Anzio and Nettuno, Italy.
- 1984 – Apple Computer introduced the Macintosh, the first successful personal computer to use a graphical user interface, during Super Bowl XVIII with its groundbreaking "1984" television commercial.
More anniversaries: January 21 – January 22 – January 23