Talk:John Jacob Astor IV
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article has an assessment summary page.|
I have edited some numbers regarding his net worth and his sons inheritance to reflect a 1914 New York Times article. I am not sure if the dollar amounts given in the article include the value of his stocks.
Links are broken (2004-12-20)
"Astor’s body was found partially crushed and mangled. He is believed to have been hit by a collapsing funnel"
This oft repeated factoid appears to be inaccurate when compared to accounts from persons who actually saw Astor's body. Historian George Behe has written an online article regarding the issue --Wurmis 18:28, 9 April 2006 (UTC) John Jacob Astor IV is the owner of Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City
Because I recently edited this article and Madeleine Force's article, I was just asked via e-mail if the photo of the Astors was Photoshopped because it looks unrealistic. Strangely, I know the answer to this, and it's "no": it was manipulated, but decades before Photoshop was invented. It wasn't unusual in the 1910s for developers working for newspapers to edit photos in the darkroom; although their techniques were primitive (and usually obvious to us), the changed photos often went unnoticed at the time. This image is specifically mentioned as having been manipulated in two books on the Titanic I own. It's not the only Titanic-related photo to be manipulated in such a way, either. There's a photo of the ship itself out there that's been just as badly manipulated - it's supposed to be an image of the ship at Cherbourg with all its lights blazing, but in reality the ship reached Cherbourg long before sunset - the "lights" were created in some newspaper darkroom, I suppose to make it seem more dramatic.
The following section has almost been completely been copied directly from "I Survived the Sinking of the Titanic," published in the "Awake" magazine, October 22 issue, p. 6. Published by Jehovah's Witnesses: "A middle-aged gentleman was with his very young, pregnant wife. He helped her into the lifeboat, then looked back to the deck and saw others wanting to get aboard. He kissed his wife good-bye, and, returning to the deck, grabbed the first person in his path. Fortunately, the young boy (12 years old at the time) was there in the right place at the right time and was put into the lifeboat." I'd like to edit the page to add the reference but don't know how. Can someone else do this to give where credit is due? --pstazaki, 21:23, 6 May 2010 JPN time —Preceding unsigned comment added by Pstazaki (talk • contribs)
John Jacob Astor IV married 1st 1891 (div.1910) Ava Lowle Willing (1868-1958), married 2nd 1911 Madeleine Talmadge Force (1893-1940). He had 2 children from his 1st and one son from his 2nd marriage:
1. (William) Vincent Astor (1891-1959) (no issue) m.1st 1914 (div) Helen Dinsmore Huntington, m.2nd 1940 (div 1953) Mary Benedict Cushing, m.3rd 1953 Mary Brooke Russell Marshall (1905-2007)
2. Alice Ava Muriel Astor (1902-1956) m.1st 1924 (div.1932) Sergei Platonovitch, Prince Obolensky-Neledinsky-Meletzky (1890-1978), m.2nd ca.1933 (div.before 1939) Raimund Hoffmann, Edler von Hofmannsthal, m.3rd 1940 (div.before 1946) Philip Harding, m.4th 1946 (div.1952) David Pleydell-Bouverie, of the earls of Radnor (*1911) She had 2 children from the 1st, one daughter from the 2nd and 3rd marriage each:
1. Iwan Sergeievitch, Prince Obolensky-Neledinsky-Meletzky (*1925) (4 children from the 1st marriage) m.1st 1949 (div 1956) Claire McGinnis (*1929), m.2nd 1959 Mary Elizabeth Morris (*1934) 2. Princess Sylvia Sergeievna Obolensky (1931-1997) (3 children from the 2nd marriage) m.1st 1950 (div 1957) Jonkheer Jean Louis Ghislain Pierre Walter Ganshof van der Meersch (1927-1982), m.2nd 1957 (div 1963) Azamat Kadir Sultan Guirey (1924-2001) 3. Romana Hoffmann, Edle von Hofmannsthal (*1936), m.1958 Roderick [of the baronets] McEwen (1932-1982) (4 children) 4. Edwina Harding (* ca 1942)
3. John Jacob Astor VI (1912-1992). m.1st 1934 (div 1943) Ellen Tuck French (*1916), m.2nd 1946 (div 1954) Gertrude Gretsch, m.3rd 1954 Dolores Fullman (*1929), m.4th Sue Sandford; who predeceased him, circa 1985. He had one son from the 1st, and one daughter from the 2nd marriage:
1. William Backhouse Astor III (*1935), married Charlotte Fisk (2 children) 2. Jacqueline Astor (*1949), m.1984 John Nicholas Drexel IV (*1945) (1 son)