Talk:K. J. Yesudas
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to this noticeboard. If you are connected to one of the subjects of this article and need help, please see this page.|
|WikiProject Biography / Musicians||(Rated C-class)|
|WikiProject India / Karnataka / Kerala / Tamil Nadu / Music||(Rated C-class, Mid-importance)|
- 1 Career
- 2 Section on 'Role models'
- 3 Section on 'Scholarship'
- 4 Web links to Yesudas songs
- 5 Alert: Superfluous information in photo/info box
- 6 Doctorates awarded to K.J. Yesudas
- 7 Advanced training
- 8 Maintaining a comprehensive page on Yesudas
- 9 Removed the large number of external links; many could instead be used as valuable sources of reference in main text
- 10 Other tips for turning this into a high-quality article
- 11 Removing unsourced and POV material
- 12 What is his current place of residence, current status etc....
- 13 Music School
- 14 Photo upload
- 15 Encyclopaedia of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
- 16 55000 songs
It is mentioned that Yesudas is Ashthana Gayakan of Kerala. This is not correct. A while ago the government decided to confer this title on him, but then a controversy ensued and Yesudas himself said he would not accept it. Period.
The state does not have an 'official singer', nor does the great man need any ornamental title.
Are there any citations to this? If its true the mention should be deleted from the article. Its been long pending.
Section on 'Role models'
Similar treatment as that prescribed below for 'Scholarship' is recommended. Splashprince 06:12, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
Section on 'Scholarship'
This section could be subsumed under the 'Background and Career' section to achieve greater conciseness. Splashprince 06:09, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
There are numerous Internet hyperlinks listed at the base of the article. Can someone please check each of these links to make sure they are valid and functional? Splashprince 06:03, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
Alert: Superfluous information in photo/info box
Jesudas' name, birthplace, year of birth, and his career description are very easily and clearly found in the article. I think we do not need to repeat it in the infobox where his photo is found. Could you all take a look into this and possibly come to a consensus to remove it for the sake of conciseness? Thanks. Splashprince 05:54, 5 August 2006 (UTC)
I don't think so. Because deletion is very easy but creation is very difficult.Because It need lot of time and research. But we can modify. I am suggesting some artilces that are given below.Please find it and think how we can modify.
In info box of yesudas shows only very necessary things. Seperation like sub article and info box will help readers to undersatnd with in few time. if we use a big paragraph it will be borring to read. And noboby wont get the points.
- You have a good point there -- that readers can very quickly glean vital information about Yesudas from infobox. Appreciate your feedback, thank you. Splashprince 08:56, 7 August 2006 (UTC)
Doctorates awarded to K.J. Yesudas
Has Yesudas received honorary doctorates or has he earned one from research and completion of a PhD thesis? If its only the former, then the use of the 'Dr.' title alongside his name is inappropriate. Splashprince 11:15, 16 July 2006 (UTC)
It is an honorary doctorate , but that does not make it inappropriate.The reason for including "Dr" in this article is because that he is always referred to as Dr. K.J.Yesudas almost everywhere.Bharatveer 14:01, 16 July 2006 (UTC)
- Thanks for writing back, Bharatveer. It is fine if KJ Yesudas (one of my favourite vocalists) is referred to as "Dr." by most people. The inclusion of Dr. before his name, right at the beginning of the article, however, can be misleading (some, especially people unfamiliar with him, may think he is a medical doctor or someone who has completed a PhD research thesis in a particular field). Perhaps a reference to KJ Yesudas as a Dr. could come later in the article (inserted, perhaps sparingly and tastefully), or could be safely omitted, because \appending a Dr. before his name is not necessary to stress how great KJ Yesudas is (his greatness in the musical realm is assured). Even Albert Einstein (not to mention other scientists who have earned research doctorates) is not grandly proclaimed as Dr. Albert Einstein in articles referring to him (including the Wikipedia entry on him). Splashprince 00:32, 22 July 2006 (UTC)
- I dont consider 'Dr' as a grand proclamation of one's greatness .Bharatveer 04:30, 24 July 2006 (UTC)
I think there no need of advanced training option. Chembai allready introduced in Scholorship. So there is need sub article like advaned classic training. It shows like praising Chembai.
- Strongly agree. That section strays away from the main story, which is about KJ Yesudas. It is adequate that it is mentioned that Yesudas was a student of Chembai. To ramble on about him being grateful to Chembai, or the possibility that he may have been nowhere without Chembai, are stuff for interview articles or magazine features. It must be borne in mind that Wikipedia aims to be encyclopaedic -- concise, to the point, and covers the essentials. Other material, elaborations etc. can be referred to in the reference section or in the weblinks section. [Also, please read and give feedback about my discussion on the 'Scholarship' and 'Role Model' section on this talk page: they suffer the same problem as this new section]. Splashprince 09:02, 7 August 2006 (UTC)
Maintaining a comprehensive page on Yesudas
This article can feature albums and concert details fully since it already contains a lot of information on them. I have updated it with information found in other articles. Even after updation, the article is below the 32Kb average limit suggested by Wikipedia.
The objective of this exercise is to maintain a comprehensive page on Yesudas without having bits and pieces of same information in several articles. I request users to not revert or remove data without proper reasons or discussion here. ॐ Kris (☎ talk | contribs) 12:05, 3 December 2006 (UTC)
To All Users,
The contents of above user put on the this article is copied from other article Concerts by Dr. K. J. Yesudas and Concerts by Dr. K. J. Yesudas . Yesudas's concerts and Albums are Uncountable. So that is why we using another article for Concert and Albums. Article for Yesudas is only for his details not for albums, and songs of eaach album, concert and about that concert etc. I feel somebody trying to damage this article.
Please keep the quality of this article.( most of people wont ) wont read a Big article and Nobody wont get the points from this article. I request don't dammage this article.
The contents copied from the articles Concerts by Dr. K. J. Yesudas and Concerts by Dr. K. J. Yesudas are revmoved the this article. I am supporting user Jyothish's comments. Its sure that if we put Yesudas's albums and concert details in this article , the article become a big and nobody will read this article. If Some body would like to put Album/ Concert details please put in the appropriate article.
Yesudas's album's are uncountable. His devotional album belonged to Lord Ayyappa produced from Tharngini is 27 Volume in 4-5 south indian language including Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada and Tulu. Then think how many ?.
In malayalam 30 and more volume Festival song album produced by only Tharangini. And UnCountable devotional songs are produed by only tharangini in various languages. This is only by Tharangini muiscs. And other company's albums are uncountable.
In the case of Concert , is same as albums, UnCountable. There is nobody more than Yesudas who performed Concerts out side India
Hrisforu 05:03, 6 December 2006 (UTC)
So what? Are you going to put all the uncountable albums on wikipedia? Since it is not obviously possible, there is no harm in placing all relevant details in the same article. There is no good reason to have 3 articles since this article itself mainly consists of album information, and even after including the others, its size is below the average 32Kb.
Who are you ? don't you have any username ? or are you any user who blocked by admin ? You know a blocked user can not add or edit articles in Wiki pedia. If you would like to put some thing please it own your own site chembai.com. Not in wiki pedia. If you are repeating this I have to complain to admin. One more thing is that Don't try Wiki rules for your things. All of the first please keep minimum standard in Wikipedia. I will come to your talk page .
bye Pluto.2006 08:44, 15 December 2006 (UTC)
I have removed most of the external links found in the article. A large portion of these are online newspaper articles, which could be better utilised to substantiate facts or statements made in the main text about K.J. Yesudas, or as a source of essential information that could be included in the main text. I append the weblinks that have been removed from the main text here so that someone could in the future read through some of the news articles that these weblinks link to and see if good information could be derived from them to improve the article:
- Site Dedicated to K.J. Yesudas
- International Parliament for Safety and Peace
- Read an article in news paper Deccan Herald Monday, March 13, 2006 Music concert at Girinagar
- Read news in newspaper The Hindu National, Saturday, Jan 26, 2002 Padmabhushan Awardees 2002
- Read an article in news paper The Hindu, Entertainment Superficial brilliance
- Read an article in the news paper The Hindu, Entertainment , Ahimsa Album
- Read an article in the news paper The Hindu, Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 , Ghantasala Music festival
- Read an article in the news paper The Hindu, Entertainment in Friday, Jul 26, 2002 , Music festival Thirupathi
- Read an article in the news paper The Hindu, Entertainment Friday, Jul 26, 2002 , Tharangam music festival
- Read an article in the news paper The Hindu, Entertainment Friday, Mar 11, 2005 , Chembai music festival, Palakkad
- Read the article in The Hindu, Sunday, Mar 23, 2003 Telugu samiti honours Yesudas, Susheela
- Read the article in Deccan Herald, Sunday, February 27, 2005 , Arts & culture A word with Yesudas
- Read the article in Times of India, 3 Aug, 2006 Yagna for tsunami victims
- Read the article in The Hindu, Friday, Feb 24, 2006 Mega music nite in honour of Jesudas
- Read the article in Khaleej Times 24 March 2006 Music lives forever, believes Padmashree Yesudas
- Read the article in The Hindu, Friday, Dec 1, 2006 One for the records, 16 songs in four languages on the same day —The preceding unsigned comment was added by AppleJuggler (talk • contribs) 13:26, 21 March 2007 (UTC).
Other tips for turning this into a high-quality article
- Keep the article in prose form. Remove facts inserted in point form (such as the section on 'Scholarship') and organise them as prose.
- The very long list under the 'Titles and Awards' section does not befit a good encyclopedia article. Please remove most of the titles and awards there; all you need to mention is the major or important titles or awards received by K.J. Yesudas, and express these in prose form.
- Please provide sources of references. Try to provide reference for as many statements made in the article as you can, to substantiate these claims. If not, who knows these statements/claims true or not? People would doubt the credibility of the article, and this is not a mark of a good article. Please make use of the news articles from reputable newspapers in the comment above, and also try to look for academic books or journals where something may be mentioned about Yesudas. Some facts from his official website may also be used, but not from fan websites.
- Integrate the 'Family' section into the larger text. It is currently too thin to stand on its own. Better would be if this could be included in a subsection about his 'Early life and Career', maybe, or made shorter and attached somewhere in a much improved, two-paragraph lead section. The 'Music Company' section could also be made briefer, and integrated into the main text.
- The main text could be broken up into various subsections.
- A few more images of Yesudas, such as during his younger years, or during a recording session would be helpful. But please make sure that the image fulfills the free use requirement of Wikipedia. Some form of fair use images such as an image of a music album cover or from his promotional poster may be acceptable.
- For some guidance or example on how to structure the article, please see the A-class article on Ilaiyaraaja.
AppleJuggler 13:34, 21 March 2007 (UTC)
Removing unsourced and POV material
I removed a large amount of unsourced and POV material and then thought better of it and reverted, since a look at the talk page showed me that this artist has many fans more interested in this page than I. But, please, folks, this page needs to be brought up to Wikipedia standards. It isn't very useful to have opinionated (POV) material, regardless of how great you think this artist is -- if he is really great, simply give the plain facts and they will speak for themselves, since he has an impressive number of awards, et cetera. Anything else runs the risk of looking like self-promotion. And I echo the above suggestion to look at the entry for Ilaiyaraaja, which has 69 properly-referenced citations and provides lots of interesting information without sounding like a fan magazine. It might be a lot of work, but it will be worth it in the long run so that people unfamiliar with this artist (like me) can find information they feel they can trust. Accounting4Taste 22:28, 20 May 2007 (UTC)
- I have just removed a few paragraphs of unattributed material that reads like it came from a fan magazine -- non-notable and unsourced material -- opinion and POV -- and one completely incomprehensible paragraph. If you find this unacceptable, then I urge you to FIND SOURCES for these assertions before you return them. Read Wikipedia: Biography. This article needs references and citations from impartial third-party sources. Wikipedia is not a fan magazine. Apparently this artist deserves our respect, and I would like this article to reflect that. If you want to honour this artist, then do so by improving this article to Wikipedia standards. Accounting4Taste 17:06, 29 May 2007 (UTC)
What is his current place of residence, current status etc....
- Below text removed
The Bangalore Development Authority allotted a plot for his music school in 2003 but there was no further development to the matter. In 2008 Yesudas came to Bangalore to meet the Chief Minister of Karnataka and raise the issue in person. A. Ravindra, former chief secretary of Karnataka, was present when Yesudas met Chief Minister B.S.Yediyurappa and urged him to take action regarding the land allotted to him. The Chief Minister, after reviewing the situation, signed the papers immediately and directed the Bangalore Development Authority to allot the site. Now that his long-cherished dream is going to come true, hope that the school will be the best learning place for all the talented music students in India.
- End of text removed
The wordings above seem to be personal interpretations of the new item. The news item does not specify that papers were signed immediately by the Chief Minister. Also hope that the school will be best learning place - Crystal Ball gazing. This is not a blog where personal opinions are to be articulated. Also the fact for BDA alloting a plot in 2003 is not corroborated yet from any citation.
Overall, this small event need not appear in the article about Shri Yesudas, when there are lots of useful and encyclopaedic information that can be added. Seems like fan club material.
How to upload a photo of Dr K J Yesudas?
I have a pic of Dr K J Yesudas whose copyright is with me and i have uploaded the same in wikipedia commons too.Please help me the with procedure of gettin the photo uploaded to the wikipedia page on K J Yesudas Panicker1979 (talk) 16:11, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
- Same file name will work here too - it is now available to all namespaces.
- VasuVR (talk, contribs) 17:17, 11 January 2010 (UTC)
Encyclopaedia of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh
It has been discovered that this book:
- Gupta, Om. Encyclopaedia of India, Pakistan and Bangladesh. Gyan Publishing House, 2006. ISBN 8182053897, 9788182053892.
Contains significant amounts of material plagiarized from Wikipedia articles. (Some other books from the same publisher also have this problem). There is no practical way of determining which material came from Wikipedia, and which came from other sources. Further, widespread plagiarism is an indication of poor scholarship. For those reasons, and according to Wikipedia policy, WP:CIRCULAR, I will deleting all citations to the book. However I will not delete the material that cites it, as there's no indication that the material is inaccurate. For more background, see WP:RSN#Circular references: Gyan Publishing and ISHA Books, or the archive after it goes there. Will Beback talk 23:04, 18 July 2010 (UTC)
- http://www.hindu.com/2008/10/27/stories/2008102752340300.htm Meet with Karnataka Chief misister