There is a wide range of skills that a knowledge engineer is required to have. Many of these skills are needed in order to ensure that the knowledge engineer will be able to create the necessary, important documentation that is needed such as analyses, overviews, feedback reports, knowledge database FAQs and more. Knowledge engineers also need to have knowledge of several different languages and applications so that they can create expert systems with great ease and with little error as possible.
Some of the main skills that are required are:[dubious ]
- They need to be able to create the necessary documentation, such as procedure oriented documentation and network diagrams. This means that knowledge engineers need to have good written and verbal communication skills. They also need to be able to pick out the most pertinent pieces of information.
- Knowledge engineers need to be able to analyse and apply problem-solving techniques so that they can document troubleshooting.
- They need to be able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines. They need to be able to manage and work independently on multiple tasks of various sizes and topics. This means they need to be able to manage their time and work quickly.
- There are several different types of programming languages that a knowledge engineer might be required to know. These include: Standard Generalised Mark-up Language (SGML), XML, HTML, Document Type Definitions (DTD), Extensible Style-sheet Language (XSLT), and various other web authoring tools.
- They also need to have knowledge of several software applications, which include Microsoft Office, Microsoft FrontPage, Microsoft Visio, Adobe Acrobat and several graphic software applications.
- Knowledge engineers need around 2 or 3 years of experience in the IT industry, mainly in areas such as the Internet and networking.