|↓||Skip to table of contents||↓|
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Kozhikode article.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 WP:UE
- 2 BCE-CE Vs BC-AD
- 3 Portuguese colony?
- 4 Pronunciation : audio clip
- 5 Copyright problem removed
- 6 Allegation of bias in 'Mysore Invasion'
- 7 Please verify the veracity of the summary before moving 'extensive write' to new section.
- 8 Moving history to 'History of Kozhikode'
- 9 Shortening the lead
- 10 Population of Kozhikode UA
- 11 Move discussion
- 12 Picture copy rights violation
- The official name is now Kozhikode and that's recognized by other sources including the Britannica, The British Council and US State Dept. Of course you're going to find references to the old name - Calicut, but given that everyone else seems to be accepting the new name, no reason for Wikipedia not to do so. -SpacemanSpiffCalvin‡Hobbes 16:42, 29 September 2009 (UTC)
BCE-CE Vs BC-AD
Since BC ("Before Christ") and AD ("Anno Domini", "In the year of the Lord") represent a Christian Point of View, i have replaced it with their secularized versions ie. BCE ("Before Common Era") and CE ("Common Era") in the entire length of this article keeping in tone with Wikipedia's NPOV policy. Before any reverts to this pls discuss in here . Thanks. Arjun (talk) 18:16, 16 December 2009 (UTC)
- Since CE also means "Christian Era", and BCE "Before Christian Era", I don't think anyone could object... -- megA (talk) 19:28, 9 March 2010 (UTC)
I believe that is not true. Portuguese attacked the town and set trade posts, but could never colonize? If this is the case, we have to remove the category "Former Portuguese colonies". Anyone against? Zencv Whisper 22:11, 12 February 2010 (UTC)
- agree, must be removed. Arjun024 07:07, 13 February 2010 (UTC) == Danish overseas Territories? == I found no mentioning of any period under assignment to the danish throne or consignment as trading post under danish supremacy.If that not being the case, maybe the reference appearing in the article on Danish India ought to be removed.¨¨¨¨
Calicut was never under Portuguese empire . So i removed it.
Pronunciation : audio clip
The audio clip for the pronunciation is incorrect. It follows the non-malayalam pronunciation of the name : koZHIkode, instead of കോഴിക്കോട്. We need a new audio file with the correct pronunciation of the name. Agree?--Bilbo elffriend | Talk 02:08, 3 March 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Bilbo elffriend (talk • contribs)
- Not being a spoilsport, but that pronounciation reminds me of the way some of my friends from North Kerala pronounce that word :) Sounds a little like 'koikkode'. A little more stress on the 'ഴി'?--Bilbo elffriend | Talk 21:08, 6 March 2010 (UTC) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Bilbo elffriend (talk • contribs)
Copyright problem removed
One or more portions of this article duplicated other source(s). The material was copied from: http://www.kkd.kerala.gov.in/generel.htm and http://www.thehindu.com/2007/02/13/stories/2007021310100300.htm. Infringing material has been rewritten or removed and must not be restored, unless it is duly released under a compatible license. (For more information, please see "using copyrighted works from others" if you are not the copyright holder of this material, or "donating copyrighted materials" if you are.) For legal reasons, we cannot accept copyrighted text or images borrowed from other web sites or published material; such additions will be deleted. Contributors may use copyrighted publications as a source of information, but not as a source of sentences or phrases. Accordingly, the material may be rewritten, but only if it does not infringe on the copyright of the original or plagiarize from that source. Please see our guideline on non-free text for how to properly implement limited quotations of copyrighted text. Wikipedia takes copyright violations very seriously, and persistent violators will be blocked from editing. While we appreciate contributions, we must require all contributors to understand and comply with these policies. Thank you. Moonriddengirl (talk) 18:20, 24 March 2010 (UTC)
Allegation of bias in 'Mysore Invasion'
Since the topic comes under the section 'History', would it not be better if the atrocities commited by Hyder and Tipu be briefly mentioned under 'People'? This in fact I intend to. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Choosetocount (talk • contribs) 20:32, 29 March 2010 (UTC)
- The quote is included but a block is not appropriate as it unnecessarily over-emphasises one particular issue at the cost of other contents within the subtitle, altering the overall theme. Also the block breaks the flow of the paragraph. If the purpose is to emphasize conversion during the invasion please create a new write up under an appropriate title.
Choosetocount (talk) 16:33, 30 March 2010 (UTC)
Please verify the veracity of the summary before moving 'extensive write' to new section.
I appreciate the fact that the history section has grown much longer. However, please correct the details in the summary that is being used to replace the 'extensive write up'. For. eg. 'Kozhikode during the Sangam age...', there was no kozhikode during the sangam age. 'We have no details of Kozhikode during the 9th CE etc....', Kozhikode itself was founded in early 12th century. So its obvious nobody heard of the city. I would be glad if you could correct these facts (may be using the extensive write up itslef) and then move the section to a new page titled 'History of Calicut', with a capital 'C'(which we should because i too realize that the section is longer than warranted. Copy pasting the previous version is highly condemnable and is against the spirit of wikipedia. And please discuss before a whole section is moved! thank you.
Moving history to 'History of Kozhikode'
The bloated section on the history of kozhikode is being moved to a new article by the same name. Hope this fulfills one of the requirments of the clean up request.
Shortening the lead
(This is in reference to ). First, Samoothiri is the title of the ruler of the former Kozhikode kingdom and not a name of the kingdom so doesn't need to be given as a Hatnote. I have removed the distances from TVM and Kochi from the lead. To be honest, i do not think that mentioning the distance from the state capital is undue; but since i see a mini edit-war to that regard, i have removed both and hope to draw consensus from the discussion that'll hopefully follow. Declaring the city litter-free or anything likewise by the local self govt of the city seems to be of no relevance (clearly a political statement than a social reality) - It would have been well accepted in the lead had such an honour been bestowed by an organization of national/international repute. Arjuncodename024 15:56, 7 March 2011 (UTC)
hi, the distance from the state capital is not undue it is so important to add the distance and it is mentioned in so many Indian city articles. Also the Wikipedia:WikiProject Indian cities layout says;
The lead-in consists of text that comes before the Table of Contents. The lead-in should summarise key aspects of the city, what it is known for and its significance. The first paragraph should also mention its geographical location, distance from the state capital. Geographical co-ordinates can be mentioned, if there is no seperate section for Geography. Use the Cities infobox to enter relevent details. The origins of the city name can also be included here along with the name scripted in the local language. Also recommended are the IPA and aural rendering of the city name. The lead in should contain a minimum of two medium sized paragraphs (~300 words).
ie; here the distance is to only mention the geographic location and it can be done by adding the state capital distance. adding more links is useless and it deviates from the topic Lower4th . TalK 12:05, 10 March 2011 (UTC)
- The distance to other cities from the lead was removed to avoid expected edit war between Trivandrum loyalist and Kochi loyalists. The distance to Capital city in my opinion is fine. But, let's (at least for the time being) not include the distance to major cities and prevent the triggering of furious edit war which otherwise is certain to happen. I hope you understand the situation. Regards, Salih (talk) 13:46, 10 March 2011 (UTC)
I don't understand the need for distance to capital when the distance to the most important Kerala city is ignored. Who cares abt edit wars? It is Information that is important here. Kozhikode and Kochi are the two major trade centres in the state of Kerala and they deserve to be connected. Trivandrum is the capital and so let it also be mentioned. The visitor to Wiki does not or need not know about the edit wars. It is information that matters to them! So please allow both distances to be mentioned since the wiki rule says that distance to the capital should also be mentioned. - Robin —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 15:11, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
- Edit warring are viewed seriously and can lead to block. Could you please point to the specific rule which says the distance to the capital should be mentioned? As far as I know it is not a policy or rule. Salih (talk) 15:29, 14 March 2011 (UTC)
- @ Robin. there is no rule to mention the state capital. it's the instructions by the Wikipedia:WikiProject Indian cities to make the article better. also Kochi is not ignored. the distance there is to Identify the geographic location and that is done by the distance from the capital also wiki is an encyclopedia. not a forum or advertising web site. i don't think that adding links to other cities will improve the article. Lower4th . TalK 12:27, 15 March 2011 (UTC)
- @Dear All,I think all are aware of the Meat Puppetry doing by the users lead by DileepKS,Bijuts,arunvarmaother & Mountain Whiskey.I hope all will co-operate to expose their Meat Puppetry which they doing in wikipedia and doing continuos vandalism.
- I request all of you not to start a fresh edit warring here. Just do some introspection; you'll soon realize that most of the edit warring here and other city pages were over trivial issues. Whether the distance to the other cities are mentioned or not in the lede, who cares! Salih (talk) 18:32, 26 March 2011 (UTC)
- Hey, why did you all stop discussion, and the biased editors tried to remove the capital distance from the article for some of their own unknown reasons and they removed it. so they quit the discussions. SEE THIS http://www.kozhikodecorporation.gov.in/, the official corporation website mentioned the distance to the capital. they know it's important. 220.127.116.11 (talk) 04:22, 17 April 2011 (UTC)
Population of Kozhikode UA
I have corrected the population of Kozhikode UA according to the latest census of India 2011 from 1,015,681 to the actual number of 2,030,519 which makes it the 2nd largest UA in Kerala after Kochi, also i can prove it with the following link Most populated UA's in India according to 2011 Census .Please restore the corrections made by me to make it more accurate. --Kozhikodenz (talk) 17:23, 20 October 2011 (UTC)
Picture copy rights violation
The picture of Calicut International airport was taken by me and i still have the master copy with me in my PC. It was a disgrace that the guy who published the picture took the credits by robbing it from the skyscraper city forums where i originally posted the pic a few years back. Hope the admins will take appropriate action against the poster and give me proper credits; sanjay palayat Rammanohar83 (talk) 14:12, 31 March 2013 (UTC)