|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Sun n Fun
I think something needs to be done for the school info, it's like the entire article is being consumed by them. Just not sure what should be done, anybody have any ideas? —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 03:03, 11 April 2007 (UTC).
- It's true, the education section was getting out of hand, compared to the rest of the article. I made stubs for all the schools (the ones that didn't already exist), and wikilinked the lot. There, that looks better. :) --Ebyabe 15:51, 1 May 2007 (UTC)
Lakeland, Florida now under construction...
Over the next couple of days, I'll be redoing this article to bring it up to standards. There may be some changes you may (or may not) like. Feel free to comment and give feedback. I've already reworked the Bartow article so if you want to know where I'm headed, that would give you a good idea. Some other things:
- I have moved the "Notable Lakelanders" section to a new article List of people from Lakeland, Florida. I did the same thing for Bartow. In a few days, I will be sourcing the material in those articles.
- I will be removing the section "neighborhoods" because IMO that isn't encyclopedic at least not for Lakeland- too many small neighborhoods. There will be a new section which will mention historic neighborhoods, but that's later.
- I plan to use as many of the current images as I can and adding more (historicsl ones I can find in the public domain).
I have removed the statement about "inland city" from the lede because it's ambiguous at best, and certainly not supported by the population table from the census bureau site. What constitutes an "inland city"? Hialeah, Orlando, Tallahassee, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Gainesville, Miramar, and Miami Gardens are all non-coastal cities which are more populous than Lakeland, which would mean that Lakeland is the ninth most populous non-coastal city. Bumping it up to second (as the original edit had done) or even fourth (as a subsequent edit had done) delves into the realm of original research, as neither is spelled out by a reliable source. Tallahassee (and Leon County) are not coastal locations, but the Tallahassee Metropolitan Statistical Area includes coastal Wakulla County. Does that disqualify it? Hialeah, Pembroke Pines, Coral Springs, Miramar, and Miami Gardens are located in oceanside counties (Broward County and Miami-Dade County), but they don't have coastlines. Does their location in a coastal county exclude them? Instead of trying to justify Lakeland's position in a subjective list, simply note the facts. Horologium (talk) 00:39, 18 September 2010 (UTC)
- I hadn't got around to the introduction yet, but that was the first thing that needed to go. VictorianMutant (talk) 05:13, 18 September 2010 (UTC)
Law enforcement section
It would probably be an improvement if the section was unified and trimmed down. Much of the information is appropriate, but as it's presented, it seems unbalanced. I may attempt to improve it over the next couple of days, if someone else doesn't get to it first.Jacona (talk) 12:56, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
We really need a page for the LPD. I would love to start one, but I cannot find even the most basic information, number of officers, crime stats, nothing. If you do a search for LPD, all you get is a bunch of strange scandals, most of them are solved before there is a conviction, people leave, retire or the investigation just wanders off. I want to do better, but I need help to do it. Paul, in Saudi (talk) 13:55, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- I've edited most of the law enforcement section over the past several months. If you look back you can see that this section had no structure at all. In addition, the paragraph about the shooting of deputy Williams had a distinct anti-police bias. I feel the reporting of random misconduct sounds a bit like news and can be trimmed, but I was reluctant to remove it. I added the section about the canine unit, which I felt was noteworthy, as it really is one of the best in the US. Magnolia677 (talk) 14:08, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- It's definitely been improved greatly by your edits. The information in the section is good, but it seems unbalanced because it's dominated more by events than objective/neutral factual information/stats.Jacona (talk) 16:22, 7 February 2014 (UTC)
- I'd agree that some of the events need a cleanup. As for the Williams murder, the previous article, prior to my edits, seemed critical of Sheriff Grady Judd, who defended the firing of so many bullets at the suspect. I added detail to put the police action into context. Also, the killing of Officer Arnulfo Crispin is still before the courts. Magnolia677 (talk) 13:34, 8 February 2014 (UTC)
- I'm not going to be able to work on this for some time. The whole Angilo Freeland thing really belongs elsewhere, as it is really a Polk County event rather than a Lakeland event. It's a little surprising there isn't a Grady Judd article, as he has become quite the internet legend for his "that's all the bullets we had" statement, along with other zingers at his frequent press conferences.