Talk:List of United States Navy amphibious warfare ships
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Most of these lists are so short, I wonder if it's worth the trouble to sort them alphabetically. The dual lists, in combination with the pictures, makes for a somewhat messy layout. What do you think of making two pages--this one sorted by type & number, and another alpha-sorted list of all the 'phibs? A subset of list of ships of the United States Navy. —wwoods 07:27, 2 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Good point! Ill stop doing the shorter lists, as its easy to find a name anyway. Intersting idea for second page though, maybe a list by year of commission, or maybe being laid down. That other list looks pretty extensive. Nautical 08:06, 2 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Holy Crap That's alot of ships...
Wow... That's one big navy they got.
Moving super huge lists
This page is beyond long. I will be moving the Landing Craft Infantry (LCI) & Landing Craft Medium (LCM) to their own pages soon, just like I did for the Landing Ship Tanks (LST) Cornell Rockey 16:32, 26 January 2006 (UTC)
List of APBs - where put them?
There are some APBs listed here, and some also listed under 'Auxiliaries'. Where should be put them? Here, under the Amphibs, or under 'Auxiliaries?
My recommendation is that we put them under 'Auxliiaries', because they are not 'assault' ships as such; just barracks ships used in harbor for crews to stay in while their ships are in overhaul, or to host new sailors reporting for duty. 220.127.116.11 23:10, 26 January 2006 (UTC)
- For what it's worth, NavSource.org and Hazegray.org both sort APBs into Auxiliaries. All the AP*s except APAs and APDs, for that matter. —wwoods 00:06, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
- When I created these lists I was using the Navsource classifications as a guide for sorting things. David Newton 00:13, 27 January 2006 (UTC)
AKA and LKA
I just posted an article for USS Rankin (AKA-103/LKA-103). Like several ships of her kind, she was commissioned as an AKA and redesignated LKA in 1969. The Rankin appears in both the AKA and LKA sections of this article (as she should), but only the AKA section has a live link to the new article. I don't know how to make the LKA link live. Help! —Preceding unsigned comment added by Lou Sanders (talk • contribs) 13:35, 12 April 2006
- Done. All it takes it making USS Rankin (LKA-103) into a redirect. -- malo (tlk) (cntrbtns) 20:48, 12 April 2006 (UTC)
Links to articles about the type
I just added links to the article about AKA's and LKA's. Strictly speaking, that's not part of the "list," but it does provide a way to make more sense out of a very long list with very many headings. If I've violated some sort of style rule or something, feel free to revert. Lou Sander 13:48, 20 August 2006 (UTC)
Major LCM/LSM Error
I just noticed that the enitre list of LCMs on this page is actually the list of LSMs for the other page. The LCM list needs to be revised or deleted. LCMs are smaller vessels than LSMs. Here is a link concerning LCMs: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/lcm-specs.htm, and one for the LSMs: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/lsm-specs.htm. I have several sources that verify the accuracy of the LSM list, but I don't have much at all on LCMs otherwise I would correct it myself. I went ahead and tagged the section for clean-up as well. Zurel Darrillian 15:03, 22 August 2006 (UTC)
- I don't have a list of LCMs either, but I removed the erroneous listings from the article. The one source I have says 11,144 were built in World War II. — Bellhalla (talk) 17:35, 11 December 2007 (UTC)
Sequence of listings
An anonymous editor has put some large ships at the top of the list. The rest of the list is in alphabetical order. I'm in favor of returning it to alphabetical order. Lou Sander (talk) 00:09, 4 September 2008 (UTC)
Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) needs a page
I can't seem to find the Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) page.
This may be because somebody hacked Wikedphila to make it slower and harder to use, but on the off chance the page really doesn't exist I'll create it in a few days.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/mlp.htm https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=1c02b04165cb15c648509f5a6d889e5e&tab=core&_cview=0 http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/dti/2010/05/01/DT_05_01_2010_p38-219317.xml&headline=Seabasing%20Counters%20Area%20Denial