Talk:List of ancient Greek philosophers
|WikiProject Philosophy||(Rated List-class, Mid-importance)|
Extent of this list
This page is a good start at listing Ancient Greek philosophers. The Category:Ancient Greek philosophers though primarily contains pre-Hellenistic-era philosophers. Presumably since this list contains names such as Epictetus and Porphyry, then it should perhaps also contain all of the names in Category:Hellenistic philosophers, and the Greek names in Category:Roman era philosophers? Singinglemon (talk) 19:39, 16 June 2009 (UTC)
- You would probably be correct, I will work on that at some point. JEN9841 (talk) 04:21, 17 June 2009 (UTC)
- I went ahead and merged in the Hellenistic, and (Greek) Roman-era philosophers. I remebered that Linux has a "sort" command which will automatically alphabetize lists, which was handy - saved me having to to merge them manually. I went through the list and added which school of philosophy the philosophers belonged to. To be really useful, the list should also have their dates of birth/death, but that would be a much more tedious job. Singinglemon (talk) 19:45, 8 September 2009 (UTC)
I just created List of ancient Platonists which contains dates of birth/death. It may be of some use in the future if dates are to be added to this list. Pollinosisss (talk) 21:30, 16 September 2009 (UTC)
- That's a very nice table, I like the sorting feature. It would be nice to have the list on this page looking something like that. I've uploaded lists of Epicurean, and Cynic philosophers, they're not nearly as pretty, but they've been sitting in my sandbox for ages. Singinglemon (talk) 16:03, 17 September 2009 (UTC)
First of all, thank you User:Pollinosisss for getting everything in the sortable table. I will be able to get things going on the dates and notes for the table soon. Shouldn't we bring back the images that were present before the change to the sortable table? JEN9841 (talk) 01:06, 20 February 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks for the thanks. These are the images I temporarily removed. I wasn't sure where to place them. Feel free to reinsert them.
- Image:Aristotle Altemps Inv8575.jpg|thumb|right|185px|Aristotle, student of Plato and an influential empiricist.
- Image:Head Karneades Glyptothek Munich.jpg|right|thumb|Carneades, skeptic philosopher of the Platonic Academy
- Image:Demokrit.jpeg|thumb|right|180px|Democritus, famous for his theory of atomism.
- Image:Epikouros BM 1843.jpg|right|thumb|Epicurus, founder of Epicureanism
- Image:Plato Pio-Clemetino Inv305.jpg|right|thumb|Plato, pupil of Socrates
- Image:Thales Lebiedzki Rahl.jpg|thumb|150px|right|Thales of Miletus, the first philosopher.
- Image:Zeno of Citium pushkin.jpg|thumb|150px|right|Zeno of Citium, the founder of the Stoic school of philosophy.
I think it might look better if we stick to simpler and more uniform life dates for this page. What do you think? I changed the first dozen or so entries to what I have in mind. -Pollinosisss (talk) 03:11, 20 February 2010 (UTC)
- I'm not sure. I feel like we lose some accuracy when moving to your method, but it may not matter, because one could just click on the entry for more exact dates. Perhaps the uniformity (at the loss of accuracy) is better for this list. I'll figure something out for the images. JEN9841 (talk) 18:08, 20 February 2010 (UTC)