Talk:List of common fish names
|WikiProject Fishes||(Rated List-class, High-importance)|
FishBase lists over 150,000 common names, clearly excessive for Wikipedia. This list should limit itself to common names of fish taxa (order/family/genus/species) that have articles or are important enough to have their own articles in the future, and to names that FishBase characterizes as English-language names (do interwiki links for non-English names). Stan 23:27, 28 Sep 2003 (UTC)
To make a start, each 'common' name should be followed by the scientific name (or names), so that wikipediasts know where to begin in writing entries. User:Wetman
Mass-capping the names here is wrong, since not only is its nonstandard for fish species to begin with, but a bunch of genus and family names were capped, and nobody ever thinks that's right. I'm going to revert this unless I hear a very good argument. Stan 00:11, 13 May 2004 (UTC)
- For what its worth, WP:BULLET says list items should start with a capital letter, although WP:MOSGLOSS#Capitalization says don't capitalise if there's any chance of confusion. Either way the current inconsistent capitalisation is worse than either option; lots of edits are just switching the capitalisation around. Vadmium (talk) 02:56, 2 February 2011 (UTC).
Just a suggestion: This list would better serve as a navigational by providing disambiguations here rather than linking to a bunch of red links and disambig pages.--ZayZayEM 11:22, 9 September 2007 (UTC) It was awesome! User fishlover2 — Preceding unsigned comment added by Fishlover2 (talk • contribs) 17:50, 23 November 2013 (UTC)
High Brow Comedy
Shouldnt this page be titled "List of common fish names"? I'll come back a week from now and see if anyone objects to a title that actually makes sense. —ᚹᚩᛞᛖᚾᚻᛖᛚᛗ (ᚷᛖᛋᛈᚱᛖᚳ) 22:57, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- the reason is this: List of fish common names, is a sub category of the category List of fish, so "'common names"' was just tagged after the main "'List of fish"' title. Just like all the other sub categories (at the time of addition) see  Read it as List of fish, common names, only comma's are not supported in the title.
- Yep, adding them after the common name is a good idea. Steven Walling • talk 05:34, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
- Why? Rivertorch (talk) 05:40, 11 May 2012 (UTC)
- I'm glad you raised this. The list contains a significant number of red-linked entries. I keep meaning (but it keeps falling to the bottom of my to-do list) to check them and try to determine whether new articles or redirects are warranted. In most cases it should be a redirect (i.e., piped link) that is needed, but there may also be some bogus entries; vandalism is a recurring problem on this article, and I suspect some of it may have slipped through unnoticed. Please feel free either to fix any problem links you encounter or report them on this talk page. Rivertorch (talk) 04:51, 2 December 2013 (UTC)