Talk:List of people from Karnataka
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the List of people from Karnataka article.|
|WikiProject India / Karnataka||(Rated List-class, Low-importance)|
|The content of List of people of North Karnataka was merged into List of people from Karnataka on November 6, 2011. That page now redirects here. For the contribution history and old versions of the redirected page, please see ; for the discussion at that location, see its talk page.|
Karnataka has a rich tradition in coorg hockey.Can someone do some research add this category under sports and fill in names of sportsman who have representd India.
Also it would be agood idea to add a categories for Padma Vibushan Padma bhushan, Padma shri etc.
LIST OF Educationists in Karnataka
Dr. S R Rohidekar Dr.V K R V RAO Dr.A C DEVEGOWDA Dr.T K JAYALAKSMI DR. Khaja Peer Dr. B G Sudha Dr.Usha Ramkumar Dr. M R Laksminarayana Dr. Raja laksmi Reddy DR.Shantha Mohan Dr.Anitha B K Dr. Sivananda
Dr. M. Ramakrishna Reddy
Not sure who put this in "famous people from Karnataka". Everyhing in this page seems to be a self proclaimation of achievements. Please be adviced that wikipedia is an encyclopedia, not a blog site. People in this list are to supposed to be of National fame.
Hi. The list of famous people is meant to be a list of people who have made a significant contribution to Karnataka and/or India in some way. I see that the Yakshagana list seems to dominate the page by and large. Please dont get me wrong, I am a Karnatakan by birth and am proud of its folk culture just as much as the next person, but I really think whoever has been adding endless names to the Yakshagana list should try to list a few personalities considered the best in each sub category instead of listing each and every Yakshagana artist. Glorious as the tradition is, its mostly limited to coastal Karnataka and can't really be considered mainstream to the whole of Karnataka. Please try to limit the number of these entires. Also the hyperlinking off all these listings without any further info on most of the Yakshagana personalities should be avoided. List the best three to five in each sub-category and then add info pertaining to each of those listings to make it more worth while.
Dineshkannambadi 21:15, 24 August 2006 (UTC)
Format of the article
- Hi Dinesh, while I havent looked at the Yakshagana list in particular, I find the article itself far too long to read. I dont mind having all the names there(the famous and the not so famous), but I definitely feel that we should somehow try and cram in more names per line. I am sure we can pack atleast 3 names per line if not 4. By doing that, the article length will reduce to 1/4th of what it is now. By doing so, we will also make the article easier on the eye, not to mention less irritating. I tried doing it myself, but didnt get the desired results. If somebody can help with this, it'd be great.
- Also, we need to have a "back to top" button next to the edit link for easier navigation. If anybody can chip in with more ideas, it would be welcome.
It is not just this article, but all similar articles suffer the same drawbacks - too long(irritating to scroll up and down) and no easy way to get back to the top of the article. Sarvagnya 03:21, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
- Hi Sarvagnya and Dinesh. I just made Sarvyagna's comments a new section as it was not only related to Yakshagaana.
- Sarvagnya: 'Back to top' feature has been implemented yesterday in this article. Please see, if you need further improvements in that.
- Regarding the overall format, I agree its quite lengthy. We should somehow use the empty space left all over the page from top to bottom. I have tried something in a sandbox under my user-page. Does that look better?
- - KNM Talk - Contribs 03:54, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
- Hi KNM, your sandbox looks perfect. If only we could have a bullet next to each name it would be even better. Even otherwise, I think you sandbox looks good enough. We should implement it. Sarvagnya 20:58, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
solution to ever growing list of important people
One strategy is to create a main article for "Modern Literaters", "Yakshagana Artists" etc. We could just keep the 48 Sahitya academy awardees and 7 Jnanpith awardees in the page under repair and move the rest to the respective "main articles". Dineshkannambadi 19:13, 25 August 2006 (UTC)
I have removed several names of writers and yakshagana players, this page should really highlioght the famous people fro karnataka not just everybody. I hope others agree with me. if you go on mentioning names of evry Tom, Dick and Harry then we might need hundresd of pages vgowda
- Sounds fair to me. But we'd need a Yakshagana expert for that or whoever added all those names should clarify. As for the litterateurs, I copied most of it myself from kn.wikipedia. There I believe they have articles or atleast stubs for a good number of them. So just check there once before you remove it. And of course we could probably post the link(from history) to this page as it exists now on this talk page and announce that people who are interested in editing can take a look at the more comprehensive listing. Sarvagnya 05:54, 21 September 2006 (UTC)
Wealso need to clean up this section. Kannada literature is a Giant. We need to only list the most famous. Example, Jnanpith awardees and Sahitya Academy winners and maybe a few more really famous ones.Dineshkannambadi 18:15, 21 October 2006 (UTC)
I was editing sections in the page to do some routine housekeeping. On the history page, my name did appear as the user who had edited the section. However, on the last two occasions, my IP address appeared instead of my name. Can someone help replace my IP address with my user name as it should be? ThanksKanchanamala (talk) 09:02, 3 February 2009 (UTC)