Talk:List of photographers
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the List of photographers article.|
|WikiProject History of photography||(Rated List-class)|
- 1 Untitled
- 2 Sub-list of photographers
- 3 Izzet Keribar
- 4 Barbara Kruger
- 5 McBain + Vickers
- 6 Bot to deal with red links
- 7 Herb Ringer
- 8 Any reason to retain the long list above?
- 9 Additions to key?
- 10 Support free content! List is useless from European Copyright view
- 11 Need for a complete revision
- 12 Why Czechoslovakia?
- 13 Why are Scotland and Wales separate from UK section?
The List of photographers is a reference tool providing greater access to information on renowned and significant photographers, past and present, but it is not intended to promote any photographer (of whatever stature).
Notable photographers who do not yet have Wikipedia articles may be added to the following sub-list. Photographers are listed alphabetically by family name. Any notes that could help to demonstrate the significance of a sub-listed photographer should be added next to the photographer's name, along with links, as appropriate. For a better understanding of the purpose and origins of the sub-list of photographers, please see the discussions below.
Additions that lack either links to other reliable sources or clear citations of books are likely to be removed.
Here are some Internet resources to help in determining whether a given photographer is notable or not. These sites also provide the most accepted forms (in English) of many photographers' names and often include brief biographical information as well.
Sub-list of photographers
- entries marked: && have articles that are tagged for lack of references, wikification, etc.
- entries marked: %% have articles that are sub-stubs
- A1-53167 Formerly known as Anibal Asdrubal Lopez Juarez. Exhibited at the Venice Biennale. Yes. Pinkville
- Mark Abrahamson Notable landscape photographer who does aerial work, see samples here. SteveHopson
- Jackie Alpers Probable Inclusion -- art/commercial photographer with work in several major stock agencies and a good client list. Check website. SteveHopson Or, better, skip that Flash concoction and go straight to his blog; to the right there are some links that might mean something. -- Hoary (talk) 02:59, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Amos Badertscher Google suggests that he's a forthrightly gay photographer. As I'm at work now, I'm not going to investigate. Anyway there's something to him. Hoary
- Morley Baer Obviously noteworthy; see this for example Hoary
- Bruno Barbey Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Gabriele Basilico Very famous architect/photographer; there's even a book in the Phaidon "55" series about him. Hoary Correct. Has also made significant contributions to socio-political landscape photo, as in his shots of Lebanon.
- Carlo Bavagnoli A very quick look showed nothing of interest to me, but he's certainly not your run of the mill photographer Hoary
- Jonas Bendiksen Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Ian Berry Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Gil Blank An artist, presumably young, with An Idea. I have a gut feeling, but can't honestly say that I can judge honestly. Hoary Was in a MoMA survey (spring 2005), has had numerous legitimate gallery/institutional shows, and served as founding editor for an independent photo magazine (Influence, http://www.influencemag.com). Reviewed by The New Yorker here: http://www.newyorker.com/goingson/art/articles/051017goar_GOAT_art
- Neil Buchan-Grant British travel photographer who's limited output has been widely published.
- Manfred Buchheit Exhibited in museums; see this for example. Hoary
- Richard S. Buswell OK I suppose. Hoary
- Harry Bowers  Fine art photographer, Creation of the first large format color digital printing system 1986.
- John Paul Caponigro (presumably the same person as: Paul Caponigro(art)? No, John Paul is Paul's son. He does digital, art photography and is worthy of inclusion. SteveHopson
- Martha Casanave Yes. Interesting practioner of pinhole camera work, amongst other things. See here. Pinkville
- Paula Chamlee Yes. There' this and this. Pinkville
- Gustavo Eugenio Chauffourier Excellent early photographer in Italy, etc. Pinkville
- Francis Chit Important photographer in Siamese court. Pinkville
- Elsburg Clarke (doc) This says it well: Hospitals & Health Networks: Dr. Shutterbug.(Elsburgh Clarke ... Elsburgh Clarke combines photography with emergency room career ) (found on Google). Pinkville
- Jodi Cobb Yeah. Photographer, journalist. Photographs for National Geographic. Pinkville
- Gigi Cohen Yes. Significant photojournalistic work. Pinkville
- Carol Condé & Karl Beveridge, Carol Condé, Karl Beveridge Yeah. Pinkville
- Dimitrios Constantin Yes, possibly the earliest Greek photographer. Excellent albumen landscapes, etc. Pinkville
- Eileen Cowin Of course. Pinkville
- Tillman Crane Seems legit. Pinkville
- Ralph Crane (doc) Photographer for Life. Mentioned here. Pinkville
- Antoine D'Agata Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Harold Davis - (born 1953) is a writer and photographer with special interest in experimental digital techniques involving photograms, cross-processing, and UV/IR captures. Yes, here. -- Hoary (talk) 08:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Joe Deal Yes, seems to be for real Hoary Sure, yes. Was one of the lesser known figures of the New Topographics movement, but important nonetheless as a key 70s influence on Gursky, et al.
- Rita Dibert Current practioner of hand-coloured photography. Yes. Pinkville
- Chris Doane, automobile spy photographer
- Tony Duffy (fash, port) Pictures of (conventionally attractive) athletes. I can't see that he's particularly noteworthy, but I'm not the best person to judge. There's this, too. -- Hoary (talk) 08:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Jim Dunne, automotive spy photographer who is also a Detroit correspondent for Popular Mechanics
- Thomas Dworzak Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- W.P. Floyd One of the first photographers in China. Essential. Pinkville
- Thomas Florschuetz Technically and artistically excellent. Large format beautiful digital prints. Pinkville
- Mariano Fortuny y Madrazo Yes, early Spanish artist and photographer. Pinkville
- Dave Friedman, motorsport photographer
- Paul Fusco Magnum photographer - worthy. Pinkville
- Jean Gaumy Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Maya Goded Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- E.O. Goldbeck Panoramic photographer, but most notable for masterful large-scale formations of U.S. soldiers that depict patriotic icons or military logos. Yes: a book of his work ISBN 0292727259 was published by the Univ of Texas Press. -- Hoary (talk) 08:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Beverley Goodway, prominent glamour photographer, most notable for The Sun's Page Three girls —Preceding unsigned comment added by Willirennen (talk • contribs) 20:58, 1 March 2008 (UTC) Claim seems true: see mention in this obituary of somebody else. -- Hoary (talk) 08:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Kelly Grider (art tableaux, portrait) Heavily manipulated. Known for his mythological tableaux See this -- Hoary (talk) 08:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Robert R Grove Birds/animal/nature/senic/action photographer http://sitekreator.com/itchecksout
- William Gruber (inventor of View-Master)
- Harry Gruyaert Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Clara Gutsche Yes, architectural photographer. Pinkville
- Ronald Haeberle Significant Vietnam War photographer. His images of the My Lai Massacre stand out. Pinkville
- David Halliday not the soccer guy Landscape and tableaux, Sepia and alot of manipulation. very etherial feeling. Artsojourner 16:52, 2 February 2007 (UTC)
- Denis H. Hazell Yes, not well-known but interesting photographer working in Hong Kong in the 1920s and 1930s. Pinkville
- Thomas Hoepker Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Michael Jacobs Photojournalist, perhaps notable. Some info here. SteveHopson
- Jay Jaffee Noted street photographer, 1921-1999, produced a number of photo books and is represented in a number of museums. SteveHopson
- Gaspard-Pierre-Gustave Joly de Lotbinière First photographer of the Acropolis and the Egyptian Pyramids. A pionner with a very modern composition. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 00:30, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
- Joseph Jurson Produces medium and large format B&W nature prints, has strong gallery representation. SteveHopson
- Richard Kalvar Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Ernest Kassowitz Photographed painters, musicians, dancers; Made some of the first strobe light exposures in Seattle. Some of his work can be viewed here: http://content.lib.washington.edu/hupyweb/index.html UWDI_ced
- Izzet Keribar. Seems to have published a book. I've added the name following from the post below. Pinkville (talk) 18:35, 30 January 2008 (UTC)
- Reinhard Klein motorsport photographer, also known for his famous McKlein photo agency —Preceding unsigned comment added by Jay Pegg (talk • contribs) 16:03, 23 April 2008 (UTC)
- Louis Klemantaski, legendary motorsport photographer —Preceding unsigned comment added by Jay Pegg (talk • contribs) 18:45, 26 April 2008 (UTC) (London) Daily Telegraph obituary here. -- Hoary (talk) 13:31, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Markus Klinko and Indrani Noted celebrity photographer duo, also subject of a documentary titled Double Exposure
- Bill Knight First professional photographer for the Professional Golfers Asociation and PGA Tour. Noted golf photographer during the Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino eras. Created the first Ryder Cup photo album for players and officials. Leading user during the 1970's and 80's of Kodachrome 35mm film; usually averaging 120-300 rolls per month. Over 100 national golf covers for Golf, Golf Digest and the Sporting News [10:08, 18 November 2006 by 126.96.36.199]
- Jamie Knop, architectural photographer Jamie Knop — Preceding unsigned comment added by Spojrzenie (talk • contribs) 21:40, 10 January 2012 (UTC)
- Kyo Koike Landscape photography; helped to found the Seattle Camera Club; Koike was sent to the Minidoka internment camp during WWII where his camera was confiscated. He never returned to photography. Some of his work can be viewed here: http://content.lib.washington.edu/hupyweb/index.html UWDI_ced
- Asakichi Kunishige = Frank Kunishige Renowned studio and portrait photographer; worked in the Edward Curtis studio; worked with Ella McBride. Some of his work can be viewed here: http://content.lib.washington.edu/hupyweb/index.html UWDI_ced
- Teru Kuwayama (doc) Seems interesting. Hoary
- Sergio Larrain Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Sebastiao Carvalho Leme This link merely redirects to the article on a camera designed by Carvalho. Pinkville (talk)
- Elizabeth Lennard Current practitioner of hand-coloured photography. Yes.Pinkville
- Erich Lessing Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- && Alejandro Lopez de Haro (art) This entry and the linked Wikipedia article need to be looked into - of dubious value, but maybe I'm missing something... Pinkville 13:26, 17 August 2006 (UTC)
- Pete Lyons, motorsport photojournalist
- Robert Macpherson Excellent early photographer in Italy and elsewhere. Pinkville
- Alex Majoli Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Joan Marcus Broadway photographer. SteveHopson 15:11, 12 September 2006 (UTC)
- Peter Marlow Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Barbara Mensch old school gelatin silver with books to boot who is under acknowledged it seems Artsojourner 20:52, 19 January 2007 (UTC)
- Milton M. Miller One of the earliest and best photographers in Hong Kong/China. Pinkville
- Wayne Miller Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Sarah Moon (fash) What I've seen I've thought was horrible, but she's undoubtedly famous so she's in. Hoary Was indeed a relatively popular 70s fashion shooter, if now forgotten.
- John Murray Excellent early photographer in India. Pinkville
- Bob Natkin American street photographer, 1919-1996, well represented in galleries, . SteveHopsonAlso well known as a teacher of "urban landscape" photography at The Darkroom, a Chicago cooperative.Photoman2 22:17, 5 January 2007 (UTC)
- Michael "Nick" Nichols A National Geographic Wildlife Photographer, check his website. SteveHopson
- James Page (photographer) Early photographer in Indonesia. Pinkville
- Pun Lun (photographic studio) One of the early Hong Kong photographic studios - and Chinese-owned. Pinkville
- Mary Randlett Northwest photographer (architecture, nature, NW artists, NW writers, and public art). Biography. Some of her work can be viewed here. UWDI_ced
- Eli Reed, Magnum photographer: here. -- Hoary (talk) 14:57, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Patricia Richardson Not the actress but a noted photojournalist. Best know for her work of the city, Plano, Texas, she has accomplished many many series of this Texas town, from her daughters boyfriends to it streets and its main attractions. Delightful imagery from the mundane. Artsojourner 20:47, 19 January 2007 (UTC)
- Miguel Rio Branco Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Andy Rouse (photographer)
- Emil Rusfeldt Early photographer in China. Pinkville
- August Sachtler Early photographer in Southeastern Asia. Pinkville
- Lise Sarfati Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Jake A Saunders UK Sports Photogrpaher
- Ferdinando Scianna Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- C. Scowen Early photographer in Sri Lanka and India. Pinkville
- J. Pascal Sebah Early photographer in the Mediterranean region. Pinkville
- David Simmonite UK. Photographer. Published award winning guidebooks and photographic book on Rock Climbing in England & Wales, leading extreme sports photographer.
- Rodney Smith Notable photographer. 
- Dennis Stock Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Beat Streuli Yeah. Been shown at MoMA. Here's Streuli's site. Pinkville Long time influence on many contemporary portraitists too.
- Gabor Szilasi Significant photographer in Canada. Pinkville
- Sam Tata Excellent (late) photographer in China and Canada. Pinkville
- Maggi Taylor (art) Though heavily digital, she's represented by many galleries and is well known as 5th Wife of Jerry Uelsmann. doesnt look like photography
- Anton Josef Trčka Associated with Vienna Secession. Pinkville
- Pedro Uhart Primarily a painter, but also a published photographer specializing in manipulated polaroids see website. SteveHopson
- Ilkka Uimonen Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Ulrich Upietz Motorsport photographer, also publishes a number of books. Willirennen
- John Vickers http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/person.asp?search=sa&sText=VICKERS,+John&LinkID=mp71736&role=art John Vickers (died 1976)] National Portrait Gallery. "He began his career in London as an apprentice to John Vickers, the noted theatrical photographer of the Old Vic Theater." http://www.benningtonartsguild.org/artists/jm_coppinger_main.html Aimulti (talk) 02:24, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
- John Vink Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Laura Volkerding Excellent photographer of architecture and other subjects. Pinkville
- Alex Webb Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Charles L. Weed Excellent photographer in Yosemite, Hawaii and Asia. Pinkville
- Terri Weifenbach Excellent artist/photographer. Pinkville
- Simon Wheatley Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Woodbury & Page (photographic studio) One of the earliest studios in Indonesia. Pinkville
- Patrick Zachmann Magnum photographer. Pinkville
- Zalmaï (doc) Exhibited by UNHCR; worthwhile. Hoary
- Italo Zannier Photographer and historian; yes. Pinkville
- She is a conceptual artist (not a designer) who uses photography as her primary medium. The article does say: Kruger's graphic work consists of black-and-white photographs, where "graphic work" really means art in the form of graphic work. Pinkville (talk) 14:29, 4 March 2008 (UTC)
McBain + Vickers
Added portrait photographers Angus McBain "Cover photo by Angus McBain, (the legendary theatre-photographer) taken at EMI in late 1962. " www.ginko.de/user/cornelius/gallery/dezo_hoffman/beatles.htm
and John Vickers
http://www.npg.org.uk/live/search/person.asp?search=sa&sText=VICKERS,+John&LinkID=mp71736&role=art John Vickers (died 1976)] National Portrait Gallery.
- That's fine, but the list is for photographers who already have Wikipedia articles. Feel free to create properly referenced articles on them both and then you can add them to the list. Pinkville (talk) 22:14, 20 April 2008 (UTC)
Thanks. Will do.
HELP NEEDED. No article on Angus McBain would be complete without a reference to the fact he was jailed (for 5 years, I think) under England's (pre 1967) anti homosexuality laws. I, however, cannot find an on-line reference anywhere. Can anyone help provide one? The London Times covered the case. It would clearly be wrong to include this fact without a solid reference. I was apprentice to John Vickers who was in turn trained by Angus, so I know the history well but my word is not a reference (particularly in such regard). Aimulti (talk) 03:29, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
User_talk:Pseudomonas#Request_for_daily_Bot_action_please - Kittybrewster ☎ 21:40, 15 October 2008 (UTC)
I removed Herb Ringer's entry as not notable for inclusion as a photographer. The article does not demonstrate multiple recognitions for his work. I further question if his article is notable for inclusion as a biography, but that is a topic for a different forum. TheMindsEye (talk) 01:55, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- It's worse than that; see Talk:Herb Ringer.
- Of course if we decide to strip non-entities from this list (which I see as a convenient honeypot for news of vanity articles), then I'd be inclined to remove dozens of photographers of slebs and the like. "Don't get me started!" -- Hoary (talk) 02:13, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
- I think we have rather too much on our plates. I suggest (i) a rigorous run-through of the List of photojournalists, as it claims only to list the notable, and (ii) allowing this list (which has no use for the general reader that I can imagine) to list anyone who's written up in en:WP and categorized as a photographer. After all, millions of right-thinking folk actually believe that photographers of bands, slebs, frocks, etc are noteworthy: they even buy monster, forest-slaughtering Taschen collections of the stuff.
- As for Ringer's article, its very modest claims seem to be supported by a very dodgy and liberally plagiarized article. -- Hoary (talk) 03:47, 19 February 2009 (UTC)
Any reason to retain the long list above?
As you may have noticed, I have done a lot of weeding today.
I only recently became aware of another list with a similar purpose. The two lists are so similar, and that other one is seen by so many more people than this one is, that I propose folding this list into that one, though after yet more weeding has been done here. Comments? -- Hoary (talk) 01:31, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- Sounds like a good idea to me. As an alternative, especially if the weeding isn't done, the other list could point here as it does similarly for Anthropologists. TheMindsEye (talk) 01:49, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
Additions to key?
I was wondering if it would be OK to add the following types of photographer to the key - Photojournalist - Erotic photographer - Pornographic photographer - Glamour photographer - Nude photographer. Any thoughts please? Thanks. Double Happiness (talk) 11:39, 5 November 2011 (UTC)
Support free content! List is useless from European Copyright view
Need for a complete revision
No one is using this list. Just 52 page views over the past month is about as bad as it gets. By contrast, List of women photographers has had over 5000 visits in the same period.
I therefore suggest we should reformat the list along the lines of women photographers, i.e. by country with dates of birth and death and with a summary of the person's claim to fame. It could be a relatively long process but I think it would be worthwhile. We could take it step by step in a sandbox or something if there are other participants, which I hope there will be. Otherwise I could make it a long-term project of my own.--Ipigott (talk) 13:10, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- Offhand I don't know how the article started. As long as I've known it, it's been a convenient notification tool for new articles. Particularly so for dodgy new articles: it's a honeypot for the creators of promotional articles, as a mention within it is such a tempting escape from the "This article is an orphan" template that tends to be attached to the promotional. Thus it does have a purpose. Of course it could be very much better if revised, but I think the amount of time and work that this would need would be better spent on actual articles. -- Hoary (talk) 14:19, 20 June 2013 (UTC)
- I agree with Hoary that the time spent would be better used to improve articles instead. The list (as do other similar ones) has its purposes. It help people navigate and find links to articles. The list on itself should not supplant an article and no entry should be be there without an article, as the page notice clearly states. -- Alexf(talk) 12:44, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
- OK, let's leave it as it is for now. I am wondering whether to start lists of photographers by country with the additional info referred to above. I think it would help people to identify important contributors from a cultural and historical point of view. Maybe later this year when the weather is less inviting.--Ipigott (talk) 06:40, 5 August 2013 (UTC)
Why the distinction? Do we plan to add a new section called "Czechoslovakia and Slovak Republic" when one shows up? We have Russian and we may have Ukranian and Tajik but we do not have Soviet. Makes no sense to make the distinction in this list. -- Alexf(talk) 12:44, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
Why are Scotland and Wales separate from UK section?
Unles we plan to subdivide all country entries (e.g. start listing Catalonian and Basque Photographers instead of Spain, or Puerto Rican instead of US), it makes no sense. This is no place for internecine nationalist fights. Unless there is dissent to this and it is properly explained and sourced with precedent, the Wales and Scotland sections will be merged into UK.
- I wasn't sure how to handle these. Scotland and Wales had their own categories for photographers, so I gave them separate sections (if you think that's bad, I was about to create a section for Isle of Man). I was going to create a Puerto Rico section, but the Puerto Rican photographer seemed pretty solidly associated with the mainland United States. By all means, merge and make changes where appropriate. Bms4880 (talk) 13:48, 28 June 2013 (UTC)
Me, I'd have "Britain" and "Ireland". However, it seems that there's a tradition in Wikipedia of dividing up the "British" wherever possible and of reiterating the unitedkingdomness of Ulster: See what happened here. -- Hoary (talk) 02:26, 7 July 2013 (UTC)