Talk:List of photographic processes

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
WikiProject History of photography (Rated Start-class)
WikiProject icon This article is within the scope of WikiProject History of photography, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of History of photography on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
Start-Class article Start  This article has been rated as Start-Class on the project's quality scale.


What are the current processes called? Rmhermen 14:32 10 Jul 2003 (UTC)

Good question im not sure in English silver nitrate on gelatin or something like that ? Ericd 14:42 10 Jul 2003 (UTC)

Maybe simply silver nitrate process for B & W ? For color it's simple : C-41 for negative. E-6 or Kodachrome for slides. Ericd 14:45 10 Jul 2003 (UTC)

E-6 & C-41 are ISO standards. I think they have they origin in the Agfacolor ans Agfachrome processes (the Germans were on top in color process technology around 1940) like many German patent the Agfa processes became public domain after the WWII. Ericd 14:54 10 Jul 2003 (UTC)

Gelatin-Silver seems OK for B & W Ericd 20:35 10 Jul 2003 (UTC)

Yes, gelatin-silver (print) is the most commonly used terminology.

You can also further distinguish between the modern-day RC paper (Resin coated) and the historically older but still in use Baryta paper (no resin coating, baryta is the white layer between the paper and the image, enhances contrast.)

RC is the stuff you get for the day-to-day pictures (holiday pics etc) Baryta is more for the bigger formats, used by professionals, the paper is thicker, it contains more silver etc. So higher quality and price... Most musea demand Baryta prints because of their superior conservation characteristics

(edit: i'm not sure if i followed the right route to add this comment Rxke )

I don't think RC paper vs baryta make different processes except for washing this is the same process . But is there an article on photographic paper ? Ericd 17:05, 1 Aug 2004 (UTC)

Yes, of course.. I got carried away. They are of course the same processes.

  • There are multipul links to the collidation process. What should be done? Personally I do not think it accurate to have 4 seperate links to one process. -Vcelloho 19:49, 18 February 2007 (UTC)

What belongs here?[edit]

Category:Photographic processes[1] says it's list "describe(s) procedures by which light-sensitive materials are made to produce an image." and that List of photographic processes is "The main article for this category". I am rm'ing to this section entries that do not meet that definition:

Fountains of Bryn Mawr (talk) 22:39, 23 February 2009 (UTC)