WikiProject Christianity, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Christianity on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
This article is within the scope of ||
||This article has not yet received a rating on the project's quality scale.
||This article has not yet received a rating on the project's importance scale.
I'd like to rephrase this somehow--Catholics don't pray "to" Mary, we ask for her intercession with her son, Jesus. Does anyone have anything wrong with rewording it somehow? It seems like something minor, but this is what gets non-Catholic Christians worked up and it should be more accurate...
- Done Fishhead64 00:54, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
- Actually, we do pray "to" Mary. We pray to God, Mary, and the saints. Catholics do not teach that prayer is worship, it is simply communication. We VENERATE Mary, but we ADORE God and God alone. --Willthacheerleader18 (talk) 03:52, 26 November 2010 (UTC)
I think a section on Anglican devotion to Mary should be added. Perhaps mention the Anglican Rosary, Our Lady of Westminster, Our Lady of Walsingham, and the anglican shrine at Our Lady of Lourdes? --Willthacheerleader18 (talk) 15:45, 27 November 2010 (UTC)
- Yes, I think the discussion on the rejected AFD Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Marian devotions supports that. Perhaps you can do the Anglican if you like while I do the Orthodox, since I started to learn about the Orthodox issues as discussed on the AFD page mentioned. There is little about either Orthodox Mariology or devotions in Wikipedia and it is about time to add it, now that we are on the topic. Cheers. History2007 (talk) 12:35, 28 November 2010 (UTC)
- Sounds like a good plan to me! --Willthacheerleader18 (talk) 17:41, 28 November 2010 (UTC)
Eastern Orthodoxy 
The Eastern Orthodoxy section has incorrect information. It is true that Orthodox Christians do not believe in the Immaculate Conception, but they still believe Mary was sinless, just not in the way Catholics believe it. --Willthacheerleader18 (talk) 21:51, 28 November 2010 (UTC)
May devotions 
Please see: Talk:May_devotions_to_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary#Merger_proposal regarding May devotions to the Blessed Virgin Mary and May crowning. I am about 60% to 80% for making May devotions part of this article, but not 100% sure. But please provide suggestion before we even attempt a merge discussion or a flag here. Thanks. History2007 (talk) 10:18, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
List of devotions 
I have now expanded the Anglican and Orthodox sections and reduced the Catholic multi-sections. But I think a "list of devotions" may be nice. They will be mostly Roman Catholic but at the moment there is no clean list anywhere in Wikipedia. And should it become a list elsewhere or just get added as a multi-columned list here. What do you guys think? History2007 (talk) 22:59, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
Here is a 1st cut, but there are many others:
Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Fatima Our Lady of Akita, Our Lady of Good Health, Our Lady of Licheń
Immaculate Heart of Mary, Immaculata, Sacred and Immaculate Hearts
Seven Sorrows of Mary, Seven Joys of Mary, Acts of Reparation to the Virgin Mary
Rosary, Rosary meditations, Brown scapular, Rosary and scapular Scapular of the Seven Dolours of Mary Our Lady of Good Counsel
Our Lady of Aparecida, Black Madonna of Częstochowa, Our Lady of the Gate of Dawn, Our Lady of San Juan de los Lagos
Mary Untier of Knots, Trading of the handkerchief
There are plenty more pages as well, but all mixed up in the category system that does not get it right. So maybe we need a list. History2007 (talk) 23:06, 26 December 2010 (UTC)
Mariolatry redirects here. That seems to be severely improper. Any other input? A different suggestion for where it should direct to, perhaps?Farsight001 (talk) 11:03, 28 December 2010 (UTC)
- Thanks, I had not even noticed that. I guess that was a clever pun in a way. The obvious places to redirect to would be Mary (Mother of Jesus) or Protestant views on Mary which should actually have a section on that anyway. Of course hyperdulia is also related, but I think a section on Mariolatry within Protestant views on Mary is probably needed anyway to define the term there, since the Eastern Orthodox obviously do not use that term. History2007 (talk) 13:43, 28 December 2010 (UTC)
- Anyway, given that the term needed a definition, I wrote a section for it in Protestant views on Mary and redirected there. Thanks for pointing it out. History2007 (talk) 22:18, 28 December 2010 (UTC)
Perhaps those interested in this subject will be interested in contributing to Mary Untier of Knots, which has been the subject of increased attention since the devotion has be tied to Pope Francis. Bmclaughlin9 (talk) 02:01, 2 April 2013 (UTC)