|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Mobile banking article.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Merge SMS banking into this article
I'm not convinced that SMS banking is sufficiently different to merit its own article at this point. I think we could expand this article with deeper discussions around the different platforms and types of mobile banking, including SMS, application, etc. I have added the suggested merge to both pages, and hope to hear from other editors what they think about this merge. --Karl.brown (talk) 17:58, 10 April 2009 (UTC)
- SMS Banking is a type of Mobile Banking in which the emphasis is the use of SMS medium. While merging SMS Banking into Mobile Banking it should be made clear that a separate description of the former remains intact. Because SMS Banking has potential for growing further. —Preceding ARIF comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 16:32, 7 May 2009 (UTC)
- It would seem to me that mobile banking and sms banking are largely interchangeable terms; I feel that an article merge would be beneficial. AniRaptor2001 (talk) 07:13, 30 September 2009 (UTC)
- Agreed. A merge is necessary since SMS banking is merely a type of mobile banking in the same manner that mobile browser banking is as well as banking through a native application on a mobile device. Jose HC (talk) 21:44, 17 June 2010 (UTC)
- In our bank (www.dbbl.com.bd) we use sms banking and mobile banking for two purposes. sms banking is linked to bank account created at core banking system whereas mobile banking is linked to mobile wallet created at mobile banking system. Functionalities of both the sms and mobile banking systems are same except that mobile banking system can handle cash-in and cash-out operations through bank's nominated cash points, which the sms banking system can't perform. sms banking uses only sms as communication between customer and core banking system whereas mobile banking uses USSD channel mainly, and sms in case of some mobile operators (who fails to provide ussd connectivity). Akmshirin (talk) 18:03, 11 October 2010 (UTC)
- Sms Banking is different than mobile banking. Mobile banking opens (generally) an application provided by the bank linking your account to you and you can do operations like internet banking. SMS banking has much less functionalities as of now. SMS banking is also growing but its uses will remain much less powerful in comparision with mobile banking. IMHO keep SMS banking seperate Rajesh Kakkad —Preceding undated comment added 18:27, 23 January 2011 (UTC).
- I wouldn't recommend merging SMS-banking with mobile banking, especially in Africa SMS-banking is quite big. The SMS-banking page deserves to keep existing but somebody should help me clean it up a bit and making it more reliable. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk • contribs) 07:17, August 11, 2011
- Mobile banking and SMS banking are far from interchangable terms. SMS banking is a system that is part of m-banking but it cannot be said that m-banking is part of SMS banking. M-banking refers to the grand picture the industry as a whole. SMS is a method of Banking. This does not mean the two articles should be merged. SMS banking is becoming popular in the developing world as a method of reaching the unbanked and consequently there is an ever expanding information base on this system. Combining the two articles would lead to confusion. It would be like combining the UK article with the European article just because the UK belongs to Europe. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 15:15, 13 March 2012 (UTC)
- Support: I was the one who originally proposed the merge. The reason is not because I think mobile banking is the same as SMS banking; however, I do believe that SMS Banking is a proper subset of mobile banking. If you look at this recent article (http://www.mobilecommercedaily.com/2012/03/07/jpmorgan-chase-leads-the-mobile-banking-race-keynote), it clearly uses the term 'mobile banking' to comprise the totality of mobile services offered by banks, with SMS just being one channel. As such, SMS banking, while certainly something that is significant and important, would be much better served as a section within the mobile banking article. You don't see, for example 'SMS health apps' and 'SMS game apps' - all of these are classified under 'mhealth' and 'mobile games' - accordingly, having a separate article for SMS Banking doesn't make sense. --Karl.brown (talk) 21:22, 18 March 2012 (UTC)
The article as originally formatted looked as though there is a possibility that it was made by copy and paste from elsewhere. Anyone care to check whether there is a Wikipedia:copyvio? DFH 19:30, 2 February 2007 (UTC)
In the Interoperability Section it says the following:
Many protocols are being used for mobile banking – HTML, WAP, SOAP, XML to name a few.
HTML and XML aren't protocols though, they're languages. (Hint: the protocols end in P, the languages end in L).
Any suggestions for a new noun in place of "protocols"? "Technologies"?
126.96.36.199 14:57, 6 July 2007 (UTC)
- Mostly commercial/promotional links. A few zero content ones as well (a link to an outline of a study which requires purchase; would be a good reference maybe, but not a good informational external link). Not sure on the last one; it at least has a free pdf copy of what looks like some neutral (?) information. Kuru talk 00:37, 20 March 2008 (UTC)
I publish a blog on the topic of Mobile Banking and my link has been removed. My blog does not contain advertising and does not promote any particular vendor or solution. Is there a way to have my link added back? If you visit www.brandonmcgee.blogspot.com I believe you will see that there is real value for the reader.Mcgee0518 (talk) 02:46, 2 August 2008 (UTC)
This page is regularly being spammed, which is reducing the usefulness of the article. One company in particular is adding semi-relevant 'advertorial' which calls into question all of the content on the page. Most of this is coming from anonymous accounts - is disabling edits from anonymous accounts an option? Sosh (talk) 08:16, 3 July 2008 (UTC)
List of Mobile Banking Vendors
Hi, I'd like to invite interested parties to comment in the discussion page of the article List of mobile banking vendors that I created (and which is linked to from this page). It is being marked for deletion as some have questioned it's usefulness - I disagree and would be interested knowing what others (especially those interested in this mobile banking article) think. —Preceding unsigned comment added by Sosh (talk • contribs) 12:39, 16 July 2008 (UTC)
mBanking Technology Categories
I think this article would benefit from more detailed information on the flavours of mbanking solutions on the market at the moment (ie. SMS, Browser based, Rich/Installed client). Does anyone agree? Sosh (talk) 12:59, 16 July 2008 (UTC)